Short Shift for 2002 A3 TDi Sport 130 6 Speed

dougie175

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has done this mod on an audi a3 tdi? I know its very popular with the mk4 golf boys but cant find anything about it on the audi side.

Im not looking for any major performance gains and such from the shifter, I just much prefer the feel or a tight shifter with less throw.

The part numbers I have found are
8J0 711 046 B - S3/ TT
1J0 711 051 M - R32

Basically will either of those fit?

Cheers

Cheers its the r32 one I want, however I had heard people having problems with it hitting on the battery tray as its larger on the diesels?

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

Try diesel geek from the states iv got the kit on my car its a quality bit of kit nice and short and very tight

Cheers Don, however they are quite a bit more pricey than I was looking to pay, I like the idea of £25 more hehe

I modified my existing shifter..... it only decreases the gear throw from front to back not side to side but i was pleased with the result.... just knocked out the ball joint and drilled a new hole closer to the pivot and re-riveted the balljoint back in.... then just re rigged the gear linkage..... basically making it more like the TT shifter

Mark now thats my sort of modifying, I presume you just redrilled the hole like the R32 shows to the right of the area?

6_speed_Shifter_comparison.sized.jpg

When you say re rigged the gear linkage, do you just mean re-connected it?

Basically all that required is to move the ball joint slightly nothing else?

Thanks

Judging by the photos I cant see why the R32 one would be any more likely to hit the battery tray as it look identical apart from the ball joint being positioned slightly different

They are pretty much identical, so much so the technician from Awesome GTI couldn't tell the difference on his first look lol....

Think ill take the chance on an R32 one, Im pretty sure it will be a direct swap and not cause any problems.

Thanks for the help cant wait to have a night tight feeling box..... wait that sounds very wrong!

Nice write up Mark thanks, I actually went out and bought an R32 one today as I have a 6speed with the newer clip style attachment anyway.

Im just wondering do the new cables still have to be re rigged or are they self adjusting?

If not ill just lock it in place like you did with yours.

Thanks for the help