Monster MotorsportVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

A3 1.6 to 1.8 turbo conversion. Advice please...

Hi guys, I was hoping to get some advice on an A3 1.8 turbo conversion in an A3 1.6. I understand that most people would probably advise just trading the 1.6 in and buying a 1.8 but this particular car has a lot of value to me, it's absolutely immaculate and I know it's been very well looked after from new. To add to this, I'm able to buy a 1.8 turbo engine for pretty cheap and I wouldn't find the engine swap particularly hard assuming it's straight forward. Could anyone who's done this/ a similar project give me any advice? how much exactly will I need to swap out? obviously I'd need to fit the new engine with a turbo and mount and inter-cooler as but what else? new ECU? do the 1.6 exhaust headers fit the 1.8 engine or would I have to change the exhaust system too? what about the speedometer? (I'd like to keep my own unless absolutely necessary as they verify very low mileage). I'd appreciate any advice from those of you who know what you're talking about in regards to this. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Don't do it! its gonna cost more than buying a 1.8t.
    if however u decide to do it.
    ur gonna need : the engine (of course),ecu and other electrical stuff,gearbox ,upgrade on suspension(the 1.6 is a litle bit lighter and its suspension might not take the extra weight)upgrade the brakes(bigger discs,not sure about the pads) and more...
    I was thinking about the same thing a couple months back, but when i got trough the list of what everything i will ned to change/replace and aded up the cost... the decision was simple.... I bought a decent mileage X reg (newer/facelift model) 1.8T with leather interior,18 inch rs4 reps,scorpion exhaust already fitted,got it taxed,mot'd,serviced/fixed ... AND!!! still saved around 650 comparing to what would cost the conversion project.
    but in the end its your car,your decision to make.

Back in a turbo!

Status

My Social Networking

Visit DJ_Troopa's Instagram Channel
    Sorry but.................... just buy a 1.8T

Inferi Black Cupra K1

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    hope you have deep pockets and loads of time

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    If you could get everything cheap then i would say do it

But as the prices of parts still high then i say don't bother and just buy a 1.8t
    Was 531bhp 8L S3 thats going to break the 600+ bhp Club then break something else. Lets see what this OD HTAGT3582r can do
    My S3 Twists Drive shafts for fun.

FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts
    , relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    If you are going to do it, drop an S3 1.8T along with twin intercoolers or go FMIC to make it worthwhile. If your intent is to go 1.8T 150bhp, then I would just buy a 1.8T, but if it's a conversion, might aswell go the whole hog and aim for 210/225 power, with the potential of 250+ with a remap.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Troopa View Post
    Sorry but.................... just buy a 1.8T
    Agreed

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    There are more differences that just the engine. The Box, shafts, uprights, front brakes and hubs. Then the engine, with turbo, manifolds, starter, alternator and all sensors. Intercooler and plumbing, water pipes/ Maybe fuel pipes and fuel pump i can't remember.

Engine loom with ECU, also need a registered version of VAG com to code the immo.

So sell the 1.6 and buy a 1.8t or enjoy the the cheap insurance and petrol of the 1.6

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    you're going to need the complete engine, ECU, loom, and I think clocks too. You'll also need the full exhaust from turbo to tail pipe, front hubs, discs, calipers, carriers, driveshafts. I believe you'll also need the gear shifter and cables too as these look different on a 1.6.

It's possible, but really what you need is a crash damaged 1.8T to take all the bits from
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Neutral

Status
    Oh wow, that sucks. Pretty much every reply in this thread implies it's far more effort than it's worth. I guess I'll just have to keep the A3 1.6 lump in there for now as I really don't want to sell the car. Has anyone on here fitted a Rotrex Supercharger to their 1.6? supposedly they are good for an extra 65BHP and fitting would be a lot less complex than the work required for the 1.8 turbo conversion...

YouTube - Audi A3 1.6 with rotrex supercharger 3

YouTube - Audi A3 1.6 with rotrex supercharger 1

YouTube - Audi A3 1.6 with rotrex supercharger 2
    Last edited by Fahd; 31st January 2011 at 16:27.

Testing dodgy Chinese gear...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahd View Post
    Oh wow, that sucks. Pretty much every reply in this thread implies it's far more effort than it's worth. I guess I'll just have to keep the A3 1.6 lump in there fore now as I really don't want to sell the car. Has anyone on here fitted a Rotrex Supercharger to their 1.6? supposedly they are good for an extra 65BHP and fitting would be a lot less complex than the work required for the 1.8 turbo conversion...

YouTube - Audi A3 1.6 with rotrex supercharger 3

YouTube - Audi A3 1.6 with rotrex supercharger 1

YouTube - Audi A3 1.6 with rotrex supercharger 2
    I really like that. Fantastic S3 replica as well.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Wellyboots, you are quite literally my most favourite pikey in the entire world