S3 vs TT

luke2702

Reaction score
I currently own a S3 225 2002 (modded), my mrs fancies a TT 225. Has anyone owned both and can give me comparison, understand there wont be much difference in power but what difference between them (drivability). Thanks

TT has lower centre of gravity and will take corners better, downside is the vision is really poor due to the high sides and tank like windows.

Is there any difference between a early TT (y reg) and a later mk 1 (54 reg)?

Hi have took one for a drive today and i fort it was lovley,the s3 has very light steering to the tt blind spots are bad but thats why you have wing mirrors,also feel alot more poki as its lower to the floor !!!

If you get a tt im sure you will be happy with it :)

Also the gears are alot better there realy short so quick through every gear realy feels like a sports car :)

Hope this helps abit if you need any more answers click this link the guys on there will help you answer any questions you may need !!!!

The Audi TT Forum ::

Personally i think they drive exactly the same besides being sat lower. Correct me if I'm wrong but believe its basically the same car underneath

Last edited:
Yep the only difference I noticed was being lower to the ground, although I drove a roadster and handling felt more boaty. So many better 2 door sports cars out there, i wouldnt consider one, 350z being one of those.

Yep the only difference I noticed was being lower to the ground, although I drove a roadster and handling felt more boaty. So many better 2 door sports cars out there, i wouldnt consider one, 350z being one of those.

350z is 1 on my 'next car' list :)

Love all the above cars but need a 2+2. Whats people opinions on Alfa brera?

cayman ftw ;) prices are around the same if your prepared to drop a couple of years ;)

alfa nice cars really poor reliability and build quality

Read this forum, the problems that people have with their S3's/Audi, and then criticise Alfa for being unreliable: Audi S3 ownership has shocked me considerably, I'm amazed at how unreliable and expensive they are to maintain.

Yep, s2000 is the winner. Shame about interior though.

Have you driven one? Totally useless unless you're constantly within the VTEC range, off-cam they're slow and almost irritating to drive. I didn't think it was worth the ownership, for the 5% that you're on the ball and thrashing it, compared to 95% of woefully torque-less driving.

Read this forum, the problems that people have with their S3's/Audi, and then criticise Alfa for being unreliable: Audi S3 ownership has shocked me considerably, I'm amazed at how unreliable and expensive they are to maintain.
Every car has its issues, my car has been very reliable, and not overly expensive to maintain..depends on previous owners and what they did or did not do....imo
Nobody posts to say how well their car is behaving, its a forum, and people want help with issues...:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

Great..after much deleberation i'd finally made a decision to buy an S3(e46 330ci and type r being the other alternatives) and i read this.....better stay off the forum for a few weeks whilst choosing the car, these things can make you paranoid!!

My s3 causes me no problems like said depends how previous owners treated there cars.

Last edited:
I like them there fun to drive and great for revving.
S2000 are involving car witch make them good to drive

Last edited:

One word. Age.

An Alfa may well break down when you drive it off the forecourt. Like mine did.

Unlikely to be the case with an S3. My brother had one new when they first came out (an 8L that is), and he had it for 50K with not one problem.

Now they're old. Old = bad.

no car is perfect, my brother has an alfa GT coupe which has never missed a beat but im sure theres no end of people who have had plenty of issues with there alfas. The S3 is reliable but needs to be maintained, but this goes for any car really. Problem is there's plenty of people who by cars like the S3 because there cheap to buy now but cant afford to maintain it properly so they sell them on and other people end up fixing the problems and all of a sudden you have a number of threads on forums about these problems.

Problem is there's plenty of people who by cars like the S3 because there cheap to buy now but cant afford to maintain it properly so they sell them on and other people end up fixing the problems and all of a sudden you have a number of threads on forums about these problems.
Totally agree with this, Am on my second s3 now, and the one I just bought has been neglected by the previous owner who only had the car for a matter of months before selling it to me, he originally bought it from a AudiSportNet owner who looked after it very well, so now its my job to fix every thing which has been neglected and get it back to the condition it should be! costly, but well worth it imo because you end up with an s3 in perfect working order and piece of mind knowing you have the performance, reliability and looks!

S3 is not that bad to maintain for what you get, performance, economy, comfort etc

now an RX 8 makes the S3 seem like running a 1.0 Aygo

no car is perfect, my brother has an alfa GT coupe which has never missed a beat but im sure theres no end of people who have had plenty of issues with there alfas. The S3 is reliable but needs to be maintained, but this goes for any car really. Problem is there's plenty of people who by cars like the S3 because there cheap to buy now but cant afford to maintain it properly so they sell them on and other people end up fixing the problems and all of a sudden you have a number of threads on forums about these problems.

unless you bought the car from new then your point is null & void

everyone on on this forum apart from jojo bought it used, when they could afford it whether they paid 15k or 5k

unless you bought the car from new then your point is null & void

everyone on on this forum apart from jojo bought it used, when they could afford it whether they paid 15k or 5k

There's a difference in being able to buy a car and being able to afford it thou.

Its all about keeping the car maintained, i also bought a neglected S3 and spent about £800 on it in the last 10 months. Apart from a clutch issue (being sorted out this week), i can honestly say i now have a great car i will not be parting with for a very long while.

I looked at buying a TT before i bought my S3. My missus loved and wanted a TT until we took one for a test drive, when we got back to the garage she had to get out and let me park it!

We have looked at Civic type R's, and VXR Astra's, and none compare to the power deliverance and comfort of the S3, even the missus is reluctant to change, in fact where more likely just to get a newer model now.

this is the thing that annoyed me when i sold mine, people bidding silly money saying 'i can get one for 4k' blah blah - yes course you can mate but i'll bet you'll have to spend at least 1500 on it in the first 18 months..... idiots - if i went for another 8L i'd be so picky knowing how good mine was compared to the sheds out there - also makes me feel better knowing that i did my utmost to the car, sense of pride if you like - thats the type of car you need when your looking at 9-10 yr old

The issue will simply move: people will £4k cars will still try and sell them at £6k, if the market allows that, so the chances of buying a shitter are just as high. In truth, I've paid top money for cars that have often been shitters, and vice versa.

easily done..... people make a living polishing turds these days.....

People that polish turds generally always ask for top money, that's a clever ploy, so again the consumer loses out.

yup.... thats why you should always check and check again, mine was absolutely mint when i sold it, i even washed it for when the guy picked it up, but my car was no '****' - so really every car is an open book