Drivers door wont open from the outide?? Pics included.

SamiG

On Boost, ish.
Reaction score
So a couple of weeks ago my drivers door randomly just stopped opening from the outside. Opend from the inside fine but it's becoming a right pain in the **** now.

So i got home from work early today and set about removing the door card to see if i could see any obvious problems.

I got the door card off and this is what im faced with...

S3Door3.jpg

The bit i really need to look at is covered by massive black metal panel rendering it almost impossible to see what's going on let alone try and fix it.

Here's a better pic...

S3Door1.jpg

As you can see it's pretty impossible to see whats going wrong but it looks to me that there are about 4 bolts which look to secure the matt black window frame to the door. I never realised this would be seperate from the door but it seems to look this way... Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, would it mean by removing these 4 bolts i could almost remove the top 'frame' of the door with the window and mechanisms all in one? Thus allowing access to behind the outer door handle?

Here's a pic of the bolt.. if anyone ca shed any light on this that would be great!!

S3Door2.jpg

Yes that's it in a nut shell mark it all up so you put it back in the same place.

Have you done it before then Dan?

Other that the 4 boltd that i can see, is there anything else you need to do to move the frame from the door?

on the a4 b7 b6 theres 5 bolts dont know on the a3
but same kinda thing all the frame wondow motor etc come out then you can get to the lock
as above mark up to get a good refit

Ok thats cool, looks like a pretty straigh forward job (fingers crossed lol)

Does anyone have any knowledge on how the lock/handle mechanism works?

As its obvious that the inside handle is cable operated but i can't seem to understand what could possibly be at fault to stop the exterior handle working?

Is it solely mechanicle? i.e no electrical componets??

Thanks

The handle works off a rod which pushes down into the mechanism, there'll be some wiring to disconnect on the frame before you lift it out but it's pretty straightforward, there should be some wedges around 2 of the bolts that you need to make sure go back in the right place as it can alter the way your door closes so make sure you mark the positions of them, although seeing that your cars yellow and the bolts blue it looks like there's been a bit of previous shenanigans so they might already be missing

Ok thanks.

The bolts not blue mate it's metal with a yellow marker but i believe specsavers do free eye tests :p

Thanks for your help dudes.

Yes it's not hard me and a mate done it 1/2 hour to 45 mins

Ok thanks.

The bolts not blue mate it's metal with a yellow marker but i believe specsavers do free eye tests :p

Thanks for your help dudes.

Ha, thanks just got back from Specsavers noticed Currys have got an offer on for decent cameras, maybe's worth a look, :)