Bad day

G60DAN

Reaction score
Well had a bad day 2 day my S3 cam belt gone and jumped a tooth or two this morning and now sounds like a bag of spanners. Not look forward 2 find out how the valves are doing.

Gutted for you mate

I remember the cambelt snapping on my one of my old cars, not nice when you take the head off and see a load of bent valves :(

Thank guys it's all in the hands of the garage now just have to see what they find

Bad luck mate, hopefully it won't be to costly :(

Gutted mate, hope its not a huge job and not caused too much damage....let us know how you get on.

Well found out 2 day it's not the cam belt but still don't know what it is. The sump is coming off next.

I guess that COULD be a good thing then. Cambelt failure is usually fairly catastrophic! I remember snapping the belt on a Honda Civic at 8000rpm around 120mph. That was a laugh lolz.

Whats the symptoms?

Is your car mapped G60DAN? Wonder if it's a bent rod?

Were you on the move when it went wrong on you or did you just start the car up?

Yes the car is mapped I was driving 2 work on Friday morning do 20 mph the car started jump forward and then sounded lime a bag of spanners.

I hope that's it will go and have a look in the morning the 2nd one from the left as you look at it from the front had popped. Put that back and it still sounded like a bag of spanner

Hey Dan, you're having a bit of a 'mare with the S3 recently mate! Hope all works out OK for you. Then again, if it's knackered I'll have your sub!!! Only joking mate, hope it's all OK.

surely the gargae would check the coil paks and that its actually sparking before going mad and taking the sump off etc?? so maybe they are thinking bent rod also, especially if as said above your having over boost issue could have spiked and bent a rod..... hopefully not and its a simple fix though

surely the gargae would check the coil paks and that its actually sparking before going mad and taking the sump off etc?? so maybe they are thinking bent rod also, especially if as said above your having over boost issue could have spiked and bent a rod..... hopefully not and its a simple fix though

That's what i though too Kev, hope the garage doesn't do stuff the car doesn't need, could be a simple coilpack issue....

Mine went in exactly the same way a few years ago, plodding along 20-30mph and the coilpack died, i had no early symptoms of a coilpack breaking down, the push down coilpacks are hopeless:puke:

Well the sump is off I am getting the oil pick up pipe cleaned.

No it's at north Cornwall Vw in wadebridge and it's not the coils. The sound is coming from the top end so I think the head is coming off.

Right it's day 8 and just found out it's a number 2 con rod is bent happy days not. So the chain tensioner can go back but the new oil pump has been fitted o well.

Tha car has done 103k will put a pic up when I work out how.

This is uncanny, don't want to scare monger but a definate trend beginning to start, like Bill has said old engines now, the rods weren't built for it...

Sorry to hear this Dan, do you know the extent of damage, you sound like you may have been a little lucky if you could call it that, you werent losing oil from the main block...

Good luck... Just had the very same problem, mine was a new engine though :(

It's just done the con rod and a piston has a small mark on it so will be getting a new one

lucky, very lucky

what condition was your oil pickup pipe in before the clean?

The pick up pipe was all good but I have given a bit of a clean as well.