A3 timing chain kit

jay1601

Reaction score
looking at getting my timing belt and chain replaced within the next few months.

i've bought my belt kit (made by Gates) but i can't fit a chain kit

where can i buy one from without going to the stealers, i've looked on google and can't find any UK stores

thanks for any help Jay

what chain kit ?
for what car

why do you need to change the chain

Car is on 90K now, and hasn't had the belt done yet. Going to replace both at the same time. Just need to fit a chain kit

This engine doesn't have a chain. It has a timing belt, that's why you can't find a kit :search:

You should change the waterpump and tensioners at the same time as the belt.

Are you sure it doesnt have a chain - it has one which links the two cams I thought? Certainly does on my AMK

All 20V have a chain as the belt only drives the outlet cam and a chain links the oulet and inlet together

Pics of these chain? I've only known and seen of a belt, regarding the timing of the engine.

EDIT: found a pic

chain.jpg

Last edited:
my bosses son is a audi technician, when we has looking for my boost problem, reved the car to around 2K rpm, can hear the chain making a noise, i told him the belt hasn't been replaced said i should get the cam chain tensioner replaced aswell. just i can't seem to find a place that sells the chain kit in the UK. apperntly just the tensioner is £250+ from Audi

Ah, of course that makes sense (my head is still in the world of SOHC - but obviously this is a 5v engine so has DOHC)

Anyway, I didn't think this was a 'serviceable' part? The reason why they fit timing chains to engines is that you don't need to change them. I know some of the bigger Audi V's have chains because once the engine is in the car it is impossible to replace the timing chain/belt without dropping the whole engine. So they fit a chain so you don't have to do it.

Timing Chain | Timing Chains for any car | Car Timing Chain Heres a link for the timing chain. Why do people think that there isn't one they have a timing belt which runs 1 cam and then the chain links the 2 cams together simples ;). As for your tensioner it won't be that much the £250 one is for the engines with vvt on them the agu doesn't have this. I priced one up for mine not long ago and it still isn't cheap but it was £130 iirc a lot better than what you said.

Here's the part no for the cam chain tensioner 058109217B that is the correct one for the agu give the dealers a ring it might be a bit more than £130 with the vat going up.