Oil/Boost Leak

chimmo

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
First off Happy New Year All! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Following on from some of the recent threads about boost leaks etc, I thought I'd do a visual inspection of the pipes today on my standard 2001 A3 TQ. I do seem to be experiencing reduced performance and an increase in turbo lag.

I came across pipe which looks to have either been leaking oil itself or had oil leaked on to it.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Please excuse the ignorance when it comes to technicalities and component names, I'm hoping some of you may know what/where the pipe is located from the pic attached? If not, I'll endeavour to get better pics tomorrow.

If anyone could give any advise/suggestions I'd be most grateful, if you need any more info then fire away!

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Ben /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

PS - If like me you've forgotten what day of the week it is, Top Gear is on now!

Your PCV valve is faulty. Basically its a one way valve which allows the engine to vent crankcase gasses into the inlet but not allow boost into the crankcase.

Replace this valve and the associated pipe clamps and it should sort the leak out.

This is fairly common on the 1.8T engine.

have you been experiencing an increase in noise too ? after having the same problems as you plus an increase in turbo noise i stripped all the hoses yesterday and found one hose that came from the rocker cover to the pcv leaking oil out past the clip. Does anyone know how you check the PCV valve ?

Thanks for the reply HTC! I'm reading up on the PCV valve now.

Darko, yes I've certainly noticed an increase in noise from the turbo. Under 'heavy right foot' conditions there's a very distinct hissing sound, which got me looking at the pipes in the first place.

As for how to check it, like I said I'm currently reading about it/it's uses now, so I should know more later!

Holy Crap y'all got some good timing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I was just looking under the hood this weekend wondering where that oil was coming from, and sure enough, it looks like the same spot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

i think i may have a pcv and a dv failure ! ****** german rubbish... i just bypassed the N75 to check that the problem wasn't that (or that and a combination of the wastegate actuator problem) and the car certainly had more boost low down (as expected with no wastegate control) but the noise and lack of holding the boost remains. I checked the DV a few days ago (pushed the diaphram up and blocking the top hose) and it seems to be working but now i'm not sure that this is a totally reliable test. Also comletely cleaned the PCV out yesterday and refitted new stronger clips, this has also not solved the problem...

ill also now start looking up the testing procedure for the PCV

anyone know of any other way to test the DV ?

Thanks for that HTC, much appreciated.

You're right in the fact I'll have to point it out to the dealers, as I've already taken it back 3 times questioning the speed in which the AVS mileage is reducing. It's a shame I never noticed the oil build up/leak. They just used to tell me it was all ok I shouldn't keep on looking at it (as if me looking at it would make it reduce quicker!?!)

ahh, warranty....

mine has just sailed past that nice place

Great diagram of the whole vacum system - the PCV Valve is the 3 way valve to the right of No.15

checking this out on the net it would appear VAG have been having problems with their PCV Designs for years ! VW have released several modification kits for different models over the last 10+ years. Seems a LOT of people on Vortex are bypassing the standard system completely to prevent boost being lost

does anyone know what the silver looking part above the PCV valve do? i had a look to see if my PCV valve could be leaking and noticed the silver thing above covered in oil.

Should i be looking at this?

[ QUOTE ]
MingBluS3 said:
does anyone know what the silver looking part above the PCV valve do? i had a look to see if my PCV valve could be leaking and noticed the silver thing above covered in oil.

Should i be looking at this?

[/ QUOTE ]

The silver looking thing is the Fuel Pressure Regulator

Took a look at mine today, and sure enough, the oil has GOT to be coming from either the PCV or else blowing up from the hose attached to the top of the same "Block" that the oil filter is screwed into /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif Anyone know how much the PCV goes for and whether or not it can be changed out without having to pull off the intake manifold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif (Cause it looks kinda tight up under there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

Thx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
darko said:
cleaned my pcv at the weekend by removing it, filling it up with petrol and shaking it around. An amazing amount of cr*p came out of it. refitted some proper hose clamps and no oil leaks now.

The PCV is located near the dump valve - well it is on my car, which part are you mentioning (intake manifold?)

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
darko said:
Great diagram of the whole vacum system - <font color="red">the PCV Valve is the 3 way valve to the right of No.15</font>

130544-VAGvacumsystem.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the one I was reffering to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif It's tucked right up underneath the intake manifold.

[ QUOTE ]
chimmo said:
Hey Drill, I've got no ideas about the technalities of the job, but I'll sure as hell ask tomorrow (providing of course they fix it for me!)

If you look at the original pic I posted you can also see oil on the right of the head.. got no idea where that's coming from or if it's associated or not with the PCV valve problem.. again, I'll ask questions tomorrow

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, thanks dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif As I said, I looked under the hood today and there was an oily "residue" all over the place under the intake manifold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I wiped it down as best I could, and will periodically check to see how fast it returns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif But anything you find out would be greatly appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

And now, I wish you all a good night, if I crash now, I can get almost 5 hours of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

sorry ! the part i cleaned is no 11 not the 3 way valve - again apologies. Finally managed to remove my servo hose tonight (see below) to check for a split - nothing, the search continues... hopefully a new dv will be here by the end of the week as i cant be sure on how to check the original fully

Ok, dropped car off this morning at 8am and said I would like to show one of the technicians the location of the leaking oil..

I mentioned all of the symptoms I had been experiencing and said an independent expert thought it may have been the PCV valve, and he looked at me as if I was from another planet.... maybe they call it something else? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif or maybe he just didn't have a fcuking clue /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I got a 2.0TDi Sportback for courtesy car today, it's....ok /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Will update later

Sorry I forgot to mention. They probably know the part as a "check valve" or similar.

There are actually two different PCV valves for your engine, the one thats leaking and one near the DV.

As long as you pointed out the correct part (which I'm sure you have) then you should be fine.

Indeed I did HTC, I also mentioned to him I found oil on the underside of the plastic engine cover on the right hand side which you can just see at the top of the pic I originally posted (on the block). He was going to check that out too.

HTC, I have to say I'm impressed with your knowledge of the Audi engines/components, and appreciate all the help you've given me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ben