Loads of Newbie questions - Be kind!

bristolbaron

Reaction score
Hi,

I've used the search to try and answer most of these but not with much luck. Anyone experienced enough to answer these off hand?

Cheers

Baz

1. Both wing mirrors are broken, not just the covers. Are they any decent alternatives to standard replacements?

2. One of the front hubs needs replacing as a wheel bearing has been allowed to get unbelievably bad.. Are quattro hubs specific or will any A3 hub fit?

3. Both rear springs have broken, so I was thinking of fitting coilovers. The only decent budget option I've found are FK AK's.. Does anyone have experience of them? How bad are they?? And do I need to replace the top mounts/anything else at the same time?

4. What offset should I be looking to get to with 18x8 wheels? Around 35mm?

5. I've got a K&N induction kit to suit a 1.8T, is it a worthwhile replacement or does the bay get too warm?

6. Forge 007P, Bailey DC30 or neither?

Hey, just off the top of my head cant answer the first 2 questions.

For 3, you generally get what you pay for with suspension, so might be worth looking at a fairly decent spring/shock combo instead of cheaper coilovers, as have heard the ride can be quite harsh. its up to you at the end of the day

ET35 is about right for 18x8 wheels

some people say the oiled K&N filters are bad for the MAF - heat not too much of an issue

forge 007p is the best replacement DV

Hope this helps a little...:thumbsup:

FYI, checkout the A3/S3 FAQ STICKIES thread at the top of the section, there is alot of good info in there...

Last edited:
Bristolbaron off CT? How's it going?
Johnnysmith1500 here.

From the cars thread on there I thought you were a Mk2 Golf man. I take it you have an A3 1.8T Quattro now?

1. Mirrors come up cheap on the bay all the time (same as B5 A4, Golf Mk4?). Solid alloy capped S3 ones are expensive though.
2. Only a guess but i'd think Quattro are specific?
3. There's a budget coilovers thread on here somewhere (in the stickies?). Jamex and JOM are mentioned iirc.
4. As above.
5. As above.
6. Nearly everyone runs 007p but I dunno about the DC30, there are a couple of folk on here with DC30 and i've never heard them complain. A few folk will tell you that, for the price, you're as well staying standard and replacing when it breaks...

Edit: Pre and Post-facelift mirrors are a slightly different shape.

Last edited:
Hey, just off the top of my head cant answer the first 2 questions.

For 3, you generally get what you pay for with suspension, so might be worth looking at a fairly decent spring/shock combo instead of cheaper coilovers, as have heard the ride can be quite harsh. its up to you at the end of the day

ET35 is about right for 18x8 wheels

some people say the oiled K&N filters are bad for the MAF - heat not too much of an issue

forge 007p is the best replacement DV

Hope this helps a little...:thumbsup:

FYI, checkout the A3/S3 FAQ STICKIES thread at the top of the section, there is alot of good info in there...

that's great cheers bud, have been working my way through the stickies last night and learning as i go along!
looks like the only wingmirror alternative is the S3 chrome/alu ones, but a bit bling for me.

Will look further into K&N/MAF issue before fitting or not.

Cheers

Baz

Bristolbaron off CT? How's it going?
Johnnysmith1500 here.

From the cars thread on there I thought you were a Mk2 Golf man. I take it you have an A3 1.8T Quattro now?

1. Mirrors come up cheap on the bay all the time (same as B5 A4, Golf Mk4?). Solid alloy capped S3 ones are expensive though.
2. Only a guess but i'd think Quattro are specific?
3. There's a budget coilovers thread on here somewhere (in the stickies?). Jamex and JOM are mentioned iirc.
4. As above.
5. As above.
6. Nearly everyone runs 007p but I dunno about the DC30, there are a couple of folk on here with DC30 and i've never heard them complain. A few folk will tell you that, for the price, you're as well staying standard and replacing when it breaks...

Edit: Pre and Post-facelift mirrors are a slightly different shape.

JohnnyS! Haha.. I should use different forum names to cover my tracks!

I've have indeed bought a 1.8T Quattro.. Frutiger is the MK2 man.. I've got 2 Corrado's - A G60 project & an 8v, which is being sold to make way for the A3 for daily duties.

Think I'm going with FK AK's coilover wise, They're pretty cheap on the Bay and should do the job.

Will go with a 007p and then look into a Revo map as my mate has just become a dealer.

Will update the thread on CT once i've made some progress. How's the MG coming along?

Baz

Ah yeah, Corrados of course!

The MG is coming along, slowly... Engine rebuilt and capacity enlarged a wee bit more at the end of the summer... First run out and a ****** wheel fell off!
Long story. Just have to run it in and then sort the bodywork (again). It never ends.

Looking forward to seeing your new car on CT soon. I still check the old place regularly!