Do you need VAGCOM to read Fault codes??

cagiti

Reaction score
Hi,

This may be a stupid question, but do we really need VAGCOM to read the cars fault codes? I have seen other cars being able to access the fault code section by a sequence of button pressing while the car is off, is this possible with the 8L S3's?

Just wondering as I have the dreaded ESP and ABS lights appearing and disappearing!!!

Thank you in advance.

You dont need vag com or VCDS as it is known now to read codes any generic fault code reader will do, but VCDS is a valuable tool for the audi owner and does a lot more than read and erase codes,like logging and going into airbag/haldex modules etc.

Whats the best way to get hold of VAGCOM, please excuse my naivety as I have read so many threads on VAGCOM and don't seem to be able to get a clear and concise pricing list of what I need and what I don't.

What's the cheapest VAGCOM or fault code reader to get me up and running? Cheers again.

or if you're a real cheapskate like me you can buy an ebay cable for £7.99 and use VCDS lite for very basic fault code hunting until you can afford the real thing

my m8,s got a mac tools fault code reader its quiet basic but does the job

Last edited:
As above really cheap cable from Ebay, or genuine from Nigel (NHN), you can have full access to everything with the real deal.