black s3's with black grills...pics please

Rob_B

Reaction score
hi chaps,
im looking to either paint my grill surround black or get a black one as i think it will look quite nice

im guessing quite a few of you guys have down it and was just looking for some pics so i can see what it looks like in the flesh

regards
rob

Have a look in the classifieds , s3's for sale. Mines in there with a black grill, rings and lower front bumper etc. Give you an idea.

looks good mate, did you spray it yourself??

Centre grill yes, lower one was sprayed when the bumper and splitter was done.

im literally doing mine right this second...fingers crossed it comes out well

did you lacquer it??

I've just re-done mine (body colour).
First job (sanded down, several coats of dolphin grey, several coats of laquer) only lasted 6 months and then looked rubbish with all the stone-chips.
So yesterday I just gave it a quick once over with dolphin grey then with laquer, should last a couple of months then i'll probably re-do it in satin black or matt silver...

If you're spraying your grill surround you'll probably have to do it every 6 months due to the stone chips.

paint is now on...now just got to give it some lacquer

leave plenty of time in between coats of lacquer. the longer the better and in as warm a room as possible.

I did mine myself, sanded down, good few coats of satin matt black, then left it then lacquered a few times, did at least 20 coats in total, and its now got quite a few stone chips on it, so will have to do it again fairly soon.

im doing it in my workshop, got the heat gun for between coats too :)

Ive wrapped mine in carbon fibre vinyl, bit different and hasnt got any stone chips.

I'll post a pic later of mine. On my phone at the moment!
Mines been alright from stone chips and stuff you just need to take your time on the primer,paint and lacquer doing plenty of coats! I did mine in summer aswell so that baked it a bit!

Why does nobody make piano black plastic versions of these? Would save us all loads of time from painting, sanding and lacquering every 6 months.