S3 Rolling Road Results...

JS1500

Howdy
Reaction score
I went to a rolling road day at Wallace Performace in Aberdeen yesterday.
Thanks to Mitchy from the TTRS forum and Eastside VW forum for organising it.

Wallace use a Dastek 4wd dyno, known for giving realistic rather than 'happy dyno' results.

Haldex cars were run in 4wd, hence the weird graphs.

Anyway, have a look at the pics and printout (sorry for the poor quality)...

S3WallacePerformance220111-1-1.jpg

S3DynoSetup-1.jpg

DynoPowerTorque2.jpg

DynoBoostPSI.jpg

DynoAFR.jpg

DynoTorque.jpg

DynoWheelBHP.jpg

As far as the figures go, the BHP was as expected of a stage 1 map. The torque and boost on the other hand?!!
The B7 RS4 that ran just before me made the same torque figure!

Comments and comparison graphs welcome please thankyou.

Thanks chaps.
Is 300 lb/ft and 27.5 PSI safe with standard internals?

It was an interesting day.
The dyno can't be too optimistic at all as the Miltek'd RS4 before me made 390bhp (and 298 lb/ft) when it should've been 414bhp as standard. So i'm very happy with a realistic 254bhp!

The RR was accurate as there was a Seat 1.4 tfsi which ran 180bhp. Standard.

Thanks chaps.
Is 300 lb/ft and 27.5 PSI safe with standard internals?...!

27.5psi is way too high mate tbh... I am planning on running 26psi on a GT30!

With that kind of boost I would be VERY concerned about the life of your rods... Never known a CC map go that high... there must be another reason for the high boost spike as thats not normal at all...

Interesting result with the haldex on... did they not want to run the cars in 2wd?

<tuffty/>

realistic figures imho...
that spike would be making me very nervous for my rods if it were mine tho... spikes are BAD.. simply.. very bad

These b7 rs4's really seem to struggle to make their claimed outputs don't they!

These b7 rs4's really seem to struggle to make their claimed outputs don't they!

That seems to be the general concensus.
Sounded like a wounded bear though and shot flames on the overrun!
The thing that surprised me most was I got the exact same torque figure as the RS4, weird.

The boost spike kind of explains why ESP reigns me in if I floor it (unless switched off ofcourse). I have no idea why a C-C phase one = 27+ PSI in my case. Odd.
I'll maybe have to look into getting some forged rods then... how much is that going to cost me!?

Thanks chaps.
Is 300 lb/ft and 27.5 PSI safe with standard internals?

No idea what the boost is on mine, but I've been running 311lb/ft (MTM map) since the summer of 2004 and save for the clutch going at 58k, no other engine probs in the 50k I've done in the car since the map (currently on 85k).

I've probably cursed it!

^^^ I was afraid you would say that.

I guess i'll need to turn the boost down a little then?
I'm due a service in 2 months, might bring that forward a tad and make sure the oil pickup is clear...

Thanks Jason, that's a bit more reassuring.
Mine's been the same spec for a year now and, if anything, feels a little slower than it did a couple of months ago.

im sure mine is the same but those graphs are awefull all over the place, peaks and troffs rubish really fuelling timeing boost everything, i had a R5GT 15 years ago with su carbs with a better liniar torque curve than these, lets be honest that is very very poor.

im sure mine is the same but those graphs are awefull all over the place, peaks and troffs rubish really fuelling timeing boost everything, i had a R5GT 15 years ago with su carbs with a better liniar torque curve than these, lets be honest that is very very poor.

The graph is jittery because it was run in 4 wheel drive the haldex will always do this on a dyno...

its a dyno thing more than a car thing...
bet the rs4's did'nt do it with their proper 4wd..

haldex confuses a lot of dyno's which is why pulling the fuse to revert to fwd makes for a more consistent dyno run - just dont rag them for a long time like this without letting it cool off. power runs fine, short duration.. sustained running, it will run v.hot which cant be good.

Ive heard that mot RS4 only dyno to around that figure anyway. My friends fathers got one and its a beast tho 390 or 414 bhp

Well I stuck the car on the same rollers again on Saturday for a charity RR day at Wallace Performance organised by the nice people at TrackScotland.

Dad also brought his MGB V8 Roadster, which won the unofficial prize of best sounding motor!
It was running very rich though, so made a disappointing 168bhp/190lb/ft - we've booked it in for a tweak and 200+ should be easily achieveable (hoping for 220bhp).

I haven't scanned the graphs yet, but the S3 was a little down on power compared to the same rollers in January (i'm guessing temp was a factor here)... making 243bhp. It was up on torque though, making 305lb/ft!

All the results (lots of very quick cars on the day) and some pics here:

TrekScotland

21.jpg

17.jpg

What engine is in the MG?

Rover V8's are pretty awful things, and it'd need to be a pretty hot injected 4.0 or 4.6 to see 220 real horsepower from it.

What engine is in the MG?

Rover V8's are pretty awful things, and it'd need to be a pretty hot injected 4.0 or 4.6 to see 220 real horsepower from it.

It's a 4.0 with some internal work (not sure what tbh), Weber/Edelbrock 500 4-barrell carb, custom manifolds and exhaust etc.