Xenon's on S3's not very bright ?

• Thread starter imported_roydonaldson
  • Start date
I

imported_roydonaldson

Hi there,

I've got a '53 S3 with Xenon lights on it. I've now had it in Glasgow Audi twice to have a look
at them as they just don't seem to be very bright. They've had it on their MOT test kit and say it's all fine, the electric motors are ok etc.

Are the Xenon's on the S3 just not very bright ?

I'm asking, as having had A3s with normal lights, the Xenon's don't seem a lot brighter and my wife's TT with Xenon's seems brighter ???

Thanks,
Roy.

Only way to check is with another S3 with same lights.
I got A3 with normal lights, pretty bright too, can see the road at least, lol, but TT lights do seem to be very much brighter.

Normal A3 headlamps are rubbish so it stands to reason that xenon S3 headlamps (being the same basic design) will be rubbish by xenon standards.

I put those Phillips 50% brighter bulbs in my (non-xenon) headlamps eventually out of desperation and it made a vast difference.

Can u actually change the normal A3 round globe type bulbs then?

[ QUOTE ]
RacingTeatray said:
Manly-looking headlamps?!

Weirdo!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Happy New Year to you too. Maybe you should get out more often and lighten up, I was only joking about the headlights hence the Instant Graemlins after what I had written.

P.S. Weirdo.

LOL!

I was just highly amused by the idea that a headlamp could be "manly"!!!!!!

I shall look at them in an entirely new way from now on.

I agree with Highlander1, and its not because he's Scottish too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif I prefer the way the dip bulbs are on the outside and so make the car look wider. I believe they are the other way round on the facelift.

Did anyone have an answer to this question then??

ta

[ QUOTE ]
jedi-knight83 said:
yeah what style of bulb is the S3? H1, H4, H7? they only do 6000k on that site.

Cage... where did your friend get his 10000k ones?

getting my xenon motors changed mid jan so would like to have all the bulbs ready so i can change them over when the lights are out.

Side lights = 501 type
xenon = ??
Main = ??

thank you in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
jedi-knight83 said:
Did anyone have an answer to this question then??

ta

[ QUOTE ]
jedi-knight83 said:
yeah what style of bulb is the S3? H1, H4, H7? they only do 6000k on that site.

Cage... where did your friend get his 10000k ones?

getting my xenon motors changed mid jan so would like to have all the bulbs ready so i can change them over when the lights are out.

Side lights = 501 type
xenon = ??
Main = ??

thank you in advance

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to www.powerbulbs.co.uk

low/dip = H1
main/full = H7

..not sure if the H1 applies to Xenons too though, perhaps their bases are different altogether?

To re-iterate though - 10k HID bulbs will be DIMMER than the std ones (4.2kish) .. i.e. give out less visible light. Should imagine they're very blue/purple in colour too.

HTH
Adam

Im confused, lol.

I have a 2003 A3 with standard headlights (clear polycarb) with the eyeball looking light, what changes or what do i need for brighter lighting? Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
The Slug said:
£300 is that fitted?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, but it's fairly easy DIY job. I did it on my last car. Kit comes with loom, you just need to plug it all in and mount the ballast(aka starter) unit somewhere. Would be pretty easy on the A3 I'd imagine...

Adam

Thanks Guys! Really appreciate the info.

So these bulbs(H1) Orsam thingys , r they similar to normal filament bulbs, just behind a ball?

think i will go with the osrams also!!

dont think i would recoup such an expenditure on HID kit when i come to sell the thing (poss early next year)

[ QUOTE ]
The Slug said:
these aqua blue bulbs then where can i buy them from?

[/ QUOTE ]

The company is called Auto Bulbs Direct (www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk). You will need to call them, as the bulbs are not advertise on their website.

[ QUOTE ]
MasterMofo said:
think i will go with the osrams also!!

dont think i would recoup such an expenditure on HID kit when i come to sell the thing (poss early next year)

[/ QUOTE ]

You could always remove the kit and take it with you, assuming new car is H1 fitment also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Adam

Yeah I thought they were winding me up. I am going to try a new battery and check the alternator tomorrow.

mine failed today but for alignment of the headlight the leveling motor has been ordered as i vag comd it and the diver side doesn't move where the passenger side levels itself on output tests.

Mine failed on alignment, sorted now but i do think that my xenons arnt that bright, i recon my gf standard clio head lamps are brighter, my sister 182 xenons are a lot better than my S3 i have a pre facelift s3 (if that makes any differance).

I am sure my battery has had it as they use to be brighter. I think it failed as it was cold morning so heated seats were both on, heated rear window on and the MOT guy had just started up when he did the test.

Changed the battery and it is better but still not great...got the MOT certificate though.

Bulbs are a bit too expensive. When I go out in the gf's car and go back into mine I think they are great.