Hey audi fans can you help me with stalling a3 1.8t

camscockle20vT

The stigs ugly brother
Reaction score
Hi all
Can someone give me a f&@kin cryptic clue to why my audi a3 1.8t with the engine code aum, keeps stalling when i come to a stop from average speed? It normaly feels sluggish from start up and has the revs at about 700 at idle when its going to play up. I had the same problem with my previous car that was a leon cupra 1.8t, but i never solved the proble due to the car being wrote off. Any and all ideas/help is welcome as i bet its something reli stupid. Iv checked for boost leaks and ther are none... Even my mechanic is abit stumpd as he suggests it could be a few things but not sure what without changin all of them to find out , but as work is tight i cant afford to do that.
Thanks for any help.

have you had it scanned for fault codes?

throttle body reallignment? clean trottle body maybe first then reallign. something i need to do to stop my odd idle. can go miss alligned after disconnecting the battery.

No mate iv not had it checked but will probly just to be safe. But my previous car did the same and had no engine codes.

Vac leak. Next to guaranteed.

Check all the boost hoses, the diverter valve piping, and the vaccum hoses around and under the inlet manifold.

If it's stalling, it should be a hefty split...

Potentially a vacuum leak... check pipes under the inlet manifold especially the PCV ones as they are prone to splitting

<tuffty/>

Hey all iv got the garage to have a check and thers no fault codes stored. All hoses are sound as iv got a cold side relocation kit so evrything is as good as new. But i have noticed im usually hovering just under the first quater of a tank when the car plays up. Iv filled it to the brim and put some injector cleaner in, and touch wood it has not stalled. Could it be crap in my tank or a pump playin up or somthing? Thaks for all the suggestions lads.

Hey all iv got the garage to have a check and thers no fault codes stored. All hoses are sound as iv got a cold side relocation kit so evrything is as good as new. But i have noticed im usually hovering just under the first quater of a tank when the car plays up. Iv filled it to the brim and put some injector cleaner in, and touch wood it has not stalled. Could it be crap in my tank or a pump playin up or somthing? Thaks for all the suggestions lads.

Could be a dicky pump, lots of fuel in the tank will aid with fuel pressure as the weight of the fuel helps. Change the fuel filter first - most likely never been done.

Ok dude ill give that a go. Gutted about the reliability of my latest audi as all my other audis have been golden. Im trying to get it running as good as possible before i get it remapped. Dodgy services from past owners has made it very costley to put right. Only paid £1800 on a 51 plate so i suppose you get what you pay for.

I changed my fuel filter and it was a lot better starting in the mornings, and the fuel was black in the filter

Nasty. Why they aren't on the Audi service regime I don't understand... That and the cam belt tensioner damper. Idiots.

thanks for link mate, my mechanic has changed the filter and he told me it was brown, so its a good chance its the filter. its got a full tank of fuel now and hasent stalled since. lets hope it stays that way. cheers for all your suggestions.

thanks for link mate, my mechanic has changed the filter and he told me it was brown, so its a good chance its the filter. its got a full tank of fuel now and hasent stalled since. lets hope it stays that way. cheers for all your suggestions.

No probs. Glad it's fixed.... :thumbsup:

i might change my fuel filter for the sake of it. cant remember if it was done last service