Everybody's Chipping - what do us up north do? :)

IanL-RS3

Reaction score
I notice a lot of people are taking advantage of AMD's xmas offer.
Would love to do so myself, but being up in Glasgow and with work commitments i can't get down south before Jan 7th. Also for after sales etc. would prefer a "chipper" up near Glasgow.
Anybody got theirs done near Glasgow and got a good story to tell?
Cheers
Ian

www.Starperformance.co.uk

I believe they are good - Glen, David?

It is up in Fife, but its an enjoyable drive up /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
A few of us went up there for a rolling road session recently and had a great day.

Thanks will do some reading into starperformance.

They seem to have more realistic power quotes.

But its interesting that they differentiate between 210 and 225 bhp S3's.

I have a 210 S3.

I'd read other posts on here that claimed it was merely a marketing thing that the S3 had 210bhp because it came out at the same times as the TT which had 225Bhp.

How did you all get on at the RR session?

Thanks

check out the meets section regarding the session /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The earlier S3's had 210 and then uprated to 225, I think the turbo was changed though I dont know exactly what year - I think there was an overlap on the cross over point.

Tom/Stevie cheers for the info.

Looks like Camerons of Perth is the place to get the car serviced. So while in that neck of the woods..i might just take a trip to a chipper. :)

Have you guys had your cars done?
What were the before and afters?

Cheers

Ian

[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
www.Starperformance.co.uk

I believe they are good - Glen, David?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I've always been happy with Star, they have worked on a few cars now. Good range of stuff and knowledge and in new premises they have a nice new squeaky couch and TV to watch whilst you wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I know there are now options with regards to remaps, although I'm equally sure that APR are still on offer. I have been happy with APR maps previously, they are smooth, reliable and powerful, but as with any generic solution may not necessarily offer the ultimate performance, but there has been some disquiet on the board about what figures are appropriate. Some tuners will claim up to 260/270 with just a remap - this is pure fantasy, more likely you would expect 240-255bhp.

Ian, you should still be able to get a free trial map from Star performance - this lasts about 8 driving hours. In the real world, away from silly dyno plots and ego fuelled power figure massaging, there is very little difference in the ultimate performance of the different maps.

What is worth thinking about is how much other stuff you plan to do. If you are going to fit I/Cs, cats, exhausts, DPs etc then getting it all done once, with a proper custom map, would be the ideal solution. If you are going to stick at "stage 1", a generic map is fine.

Cheers

Great advice & I like the sound of the free trial map.
I don't think i will go past the remap to be honest. So your comment on generic mapping gives me more confidence on not worrying too much about manufacturers claims etc.
Although i haven't driven other S3's and have a nigling (possibly imaginery) doubt about power delivery - i'm guessing MAF
Gonna get vag.com and check it out.
So will wait till i have had my 40k service, got my car running sweet, and the give them a visit.
Thanks again - honestly without this forum my enjoyment of my car would be severly diminished!!

I would have though that if a remap only yielded 240BHP then it would be hard to notice any difference! a 15 BHP increase is nothing and would be almost un-noticeable. The fact everyone who has had a remap claims it to be a huge difference suggests to me that the remap may well be able to yield the widely claimed 265 Bhp.

I have a 210BHP S3 and Starperformance are saying 250Bhp - so that's almost a 20% increase. But even at 240 its still pretty good. I guess its about managing expectations.

Also what i'm interested in and would be more noticeable is the improved torque figures i.e In gear acceleration.

I think there has been quite a bit of discussion on optimistic dyno's aswell.

But at the end of the day (still not given up on being a pro footballer) its only figures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif and I'm not that bothered if i don't measure up - ooo er /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif