Sideways Vibrations/Juddering when foot off the gas? Help/Advice needed

Sarah's A3

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid
Reaction score
Ok, Where to start :think: Hope you 8L guys dont mind me asking here, Ive raised a thread on the 8P but got them scratching their heads! so im here asking for help.

The issue I have is intermittent. Started when the cold weather came but not sure if its related.

Driving around 40 - 50mph and not pushing, just cruising along, when I take my foot off the accelerator, the front of the car starts to shake and judder sideways ranging from slightly to fairly violently. Also can do it when I set off around 1600 rpm but only usually when I drive slowish and doing just over 35mph, if I boot it, it seems ok. Like I said, this at the moment is intermittent. When its vibrating I can feel it through the steering wheel, seat, pedals and most things in there shake too, inc the kids!! One time it did it I honestly thought it was going to break down as it got soooo bad the car also seemed to have a clunk underneather around the middle ish on the drivers side but I was doing around 20mph with my window open at the time and could hear it. After getting on the floor (in the snow!) I couldnt see anything untoward under there. I started it up again and it still did it but not quite as severe, then the next day was ok again. Had minor issues again today but then seemed ok later on. It only does it when you take your foot off the accelerator, if accelerating it goes.

The cars got DSG, but all gears seem fine, no clunking or difficulty engaging any gears. Checked all tyres and they seem fine (1 was low but ok now). Cars been serviced, no oil changes due etc. I have had the car thoroughly checked underneath, rear diff, drive shaft, bearings, prop shaft etc all seem fine. Had Haldex oil and filter changed, Gear Box oil changed in case this was a cause.

I'm baffled to say the least. So the question is, has anyone had anything similar and if so what is it??

Could it be inner CV? Flywheel??? any transmission related?? As its intermittent could it be electrical, Engine related, throttle.

Any help really appreciated as im not sure if it will stay like this or just give up one day soon!!!

Thanks in advance x

I've had a very similar issue on mine but on the rear Sarah. Thought it was the haldex but one of my tyres had a slow puncture and the inner edge has worn uneven.

Swap the fronts to the rear and see if the problem is still there :thumbsup:

yeah I think mines at the rear tbh. I sat in the back while being driven and I can hear a noise, not too loud coming from the drivers rear when driven slow. Will swap the alloys over tomorrow and see if it helps. Its driving me mad, tried everything else.
Thanks mate

Mine was too, thought it was a bearing at first. The smoother the road surface the more vibration you'll get

mines sort of similar, like a dragging feeling from the rear, more common when turning.
i need 4 new tyres, so i'll see if that cures it :S