Heater motor / and or resistor - little advice please.

neal-a3

Reaction score
Hi all, new on here so bear with me lol

Just bought a mk1 A3 "P" registered, 18" Rs6's, angel eye headlights... blah blah..

Wanted to ask some advice on the Heater motor, where is it situated, is it under the dash behind the glovebox? Mines packed up this morning, it was working on 4 but nothing now... :sadlike:

I have been told its quite common on the older VW's and Audi's that the heater motor packs up, my old mans did last year, but i f***ed if im paying what he paid for VW to fix it on his passat, so Im going to attempt myself. I have replaced the heater motor in a civic, and im not to bad at DIY mechanics, just after some good advice, a how to or anything else that might help me out.

I priced up a second hand motor and resistor pack for £49 + P&P is that an ok price, or shoudl i just get a new one for the extra £30 or so.....

While im here, dipstick pipe/tube, has become brittle and the last owner has forced the dipstick in and its cracked the tube, is it a quick fix, or a bit more hard work to replace... My local garage said about £40 to remove and fit the new one with the part (as long as the metal end does not need to be removed from the sump area - he said lol)

Any advice would be great - Many thanks

Neal

Last edited:
Many many thanks, I suppose really I was being lazy and I didnt search first :wacko:

Lol i know what I'll be doing this weekend then now! sod taking the kids to football (the wife can do that for a change! lol), i need fans that work...

Neal

Last edited:
The dipstick part is cheaper from somewhere like GSF or EuroCarParts if you have one closeby - I'm sure they aren't much more than £1.

Tip to fitting - stick the new one in a bowl of boiling water for 10 or 15 minutes before you fit it. It makes the plastic a bit more flexible and so you are less likely to snap when you try to fit it.

Ok sorted the fan out tonight, as the how to says, dodgy connection on top spade connector in the fan motor unit. Its been messed with before - as theres already been a fix done that stopped... one thing, i couldnt find the heater resistor pack, just a 4 pin plug (with 1 2 3 4 on it) so next step to pick a resistor up.

At least i can clear the windscreen now lol

cheers for the how to link