Car steering wheels shaking help please

L3WJX

Reaction score
Hi guys I have just had rear bushes changed also s3 alloys and now I am getting a shaky steerig wheel can any body say that have had this problem I also had brakes fitted about 2 months ago thanks alot

start by getting the front wheels balanced this will also check the wheel bolts are tight check the bolts on the rear as well , you may have just lost a weight , if that don't cure it start looking at track rod ends and bottom ball joints if you can hear a noise then it could even be front wheel bearings ,

are the new alloys made for the car or are the centres too big ? have you centalised the wheel with spigot rings

Rob

Wheels come strate of a s3 they was balanced all round also buts are all up tight,

Also would the tracking to this to the car

What are spigot rings thanks alot for the comments

Wheels come strate of a s3 they was balanced all round also buts are all up tight,

Also would the tracking to this to the car

What are spigot rings thanks alot for the comments

you wont need spigot rings if they are real S3 rims as the center bore will match , have you just put wider tyres on ? s3 are 225 wide how wide were your other tyres ?

Rob

Also when I brake it shakes could this still be the tracking ??

if it shakes when braking and not braking its the same problem. If it only shakes when braking it is warped discs. But this is not your problem. The wider wheels are just amplifying the problem. If wheels are balanced, wheels are fitted on clean surfaces not much left but tracking or worn tie rod end. Or maybe egged tyre? but i guess they were fine on previous owners car. tracking is the best place to start.

Hi took the car in to my local tyre fitting garage today who has laser tracking and balancing machine,they took the car for a test drive and said he only felt the vibration in the steering wheel when braking but he said he could not fell the wheel shaking when doing 60mph but this only happens at about 70-75mph,
The man at the garage said he thinks my discs are f**ked but was only fitted about 2-3 months ago but he said they could be warped they are grooved discs with green stuff pads how could i check if the wheels are buckled ?
Also the man said tracking would not help the shaking this will only help if the car is pulling from left or right ?

Well im going to make sure the wheels are balanced first as i dont no how the tracking would cause the steeling wheel to shake as tracking is only to adjust the cars pulling to left or right,RIGHT ?
I hop it is nothing bad as i would like to sell this car as i want a s3 :)
Will update you tomorro any body want to add a comment feel free :)

No spacers on the wheels,And right was ment am i right about tracking not making the steering wheel shake i will have alook at track rods tomorro thanks alot guys

If it is only under breaking, then yes, discs. If all the time then balancing or track rod ends. I thought you said the wheels were recently balanced, weights do fall off, or garages balance badly....

Took the at to the garage today and watche them balance both front and one was out by 80 ??? And the other by 30 so there all done and it does not shake alot any more there is a little but the front left wheel is a bit buckled what I was thinking is putting this on the rear,but there is still shaking when I brake so I'm guessing this is the brakes can any body point ne in the right way of brakes I'm running 200 bhp and am just looking for cheap ones as long as they stop me I don't mind thanks alot people ;)

Glad its sorted , problems like this you have to check things even if you have been told its ok , in defence its easy to lose a weight and that would give the balance issues you had

i would also add i wouldn't ask for cheapest option for brakes on here when your trying to sell it on here what your want is good value ones:icon_thumright:

Rob

Last edited:
Any good people ??? Or any better ones for good value ???
And do I need upgraded disc and pad if I'm running 195-200 bhp ??? Thanks alot

I was gonna ask what the history of wheels is like ?? i had a set off alloys on my old coupe that i could never get right... it turned out they wernt buckled or out of balance but had slight flat spots... probably from hitting speed bumps too hard... the effect was like driving with 50 pence peices as wheels.... only cured by buying brand new alloys

Think im going to buy the ome set tomorro with new discs,i cant remember were i put my old set,is it my brakes have gone as i used them to hard ?

Do you have to run the pads in if so how many miles ?

my car is an 1.8 non turbo SE runs 280 mm disc's yours runs 288 mm , at the moment i'm running EBC grooved disks from GSF and pagit pads front and rear, front disk's will last 20k plus about two sets of pads ,rears 40k and the pads 30k plus the big factor is how you drive this car i my daily dont get hammered too much

Rob

edit : missread your question :slapped:above is not what you asked

yes you need to take it easy on new brakes or the glaze up new pads and disks are have flat faces and they are not always parallel when fitted they wear together as you use them if not all the face of the pad is on the disk you could cause hotstops this may cause the disks to warp

Rob

Last edited:
they feel springy until and after a few miles drive the face of the disk should be shiny with no spots untouched by the pads
its harder to see the inside but if the outsides ok a good chance the inside the same as you have siding calipers

Rob

just go easy on them for a few days :)
and yes braking realy hard a lot does warp discs

Car brakes are all dont now,so car is up for sale so if there is anybody on here who is looking for a 1.8t audi a3 black s3 alloys let me no :)