Handling questions

DerekC

Reaction score
Hey guys just got a 2003 s3 (totally loving by the way) just a quick question about lowering etc. I was looking at getting arb's but I read somewhere that they wont fit on the standard set up(dampers Springs etc) is that true. Also wanted to lower the car only like 20/25 mm do i really need new dampers and adjustable tie bars to do so. Any advice would be appreciated. Ps i did try the search but kinda got lost looking through so much info

I started looking at the same, 2001 S3 here.
As far as im aware (someone will confirm) New arbs will fit standard suspension i think the point made by some is not to do it as many of the standard ones on S3's now has done fair few miles so its putting more strain on tired suspension and worth getting new stuff!
Sure thats the opinion of many but i think its possible to fit to standard if you want to.
As for lowering again mixed views, some say lowering at all you need adjustable tie bars some say they are fine on 30mm without them, think its case by case so lower and see :) as for the dampers i believe the general consensus is you can stick lowering springs on standard suspension but as the dampers are designed with bigger springs it is not recommended.
For best results new dampers, springs, arbs together giving you a transformed S3 in the bends!
But it'll cost you as i have found and am now forced to try and stick to a budget, cheaper set ups little bit at a time :-(

Others will comment and confirm what i have said soon i'm sure, thought i would put what i have heard it prior threads down to give you some idea :)

I dont see why ARBs wont fit the standard set up, they should do. When you say ARBs i assume you mean uprated ARBs?

I have lowered my car 25 mm on H&R springs with Bilstein B8 shocks. I did end up getting adjustable tie arms and when i had it realigned the lowering had knocked the camber to -3º. So in my case the adjustable tie arms were necessary

And yes, lowering springs on standard shock... whilst it physically possible to do i have heard that its not recommended as the standard shocks will be operating outside their normal travel range and wont be able to effectively damp the stiff springs giving you a potentially bouncy ride

Cheers for the help guys. Yeah I thinking of eibach arbs, man this car is gonna cost me a fortune lol.

First read the stickies as all this info is there...

Doing the springs and dampers will give a better handling upgrade than ARB's alone... do springs and dampers first then ARB's....

Uprated ARB's are bad on std setups as they are in effect springs and if you still have the original dampers they are not capable of damping this setup properly and will most likely be tired anyway making them less affective... if your car wallows round corners (which the std setup does) it will still do so with uprated ARB's as this is the dampers not spring rate causing this... if anything it will feel even worse as the crappy damping will constantly load and unload the suspension altering the grip level around the corner...

If you want to transform the handling of your S3 then Bilstien B8's and H&R -25mm springs all day long... you will not regret it.... the std stuff is pretty rubbish in comparison..

<tuffty/>