Clutch Slip After Revo remap (Audi S3 1999 210bhp)

leess3

Reaction score
Today I had a revo remap and after the remap my clutch now slips on boost. I think that maybe the cars cluth was worn before the remap and the extra torque has now brought this to my attention. would anyone know, will I be safe putting a new standard clutch in or will I need an uprated clutch? (Revo remap 260bhp/285lb Torque

your clutch could have been worn anyway?there is plenty of people run a standard clutch with a remap and have no problems,ive just had a new clutch fitted went for a bit better clutch as it wasnt that much more.my car isnt remapped yet but hopefully in the near future

jojo

For the price of the Cg Kit he may aswell fit uprated item incase further mods planned at later date..??

Especially with a spiky Revo Lol...

I bet a standard kit isnt far off £150..??(i didnt check when i did mine just went for Cg FR Kit)

Pete

Last edited:
jojo

For the price of the Cg Kit he may aswell fit uprated item incase further mods planned at later date..??

Especially with a spiky Revo Lol...

I bet a standard kit isnt far off £150..??(i didnt check when i did mine just went for Cg FR Kit)

Pete

you can get standard for £120 i paid £166 for the c g kit as its a local pick up for me,for £46 difference i think the c g kit is worth it?

thanks for that, these have a dual mass flywheel. Do these normaly need to be changed?

Ive just took delivery of 6 paddle competition clutch kit from CG motorsport today for my S3 Looks very good piece of kit and came in at £260 minus trade discount!:eyebrows:. I went down the paddle clutch route as i have plans for running over 300bhp and going to use it for trackdays etc.

Ive used them before for vag tdi's and never had any problems either.

Im at Oulton park 12th feb so will need to find time to fit it before then!

fitted the cg motorsport clutch, brand new genuine flywheel & slave. all seems fine at the mo. cg motorsport say that I have to run this clutch in for 450-500 miles. I tried slight boost in 3rd today (done about 60 miles) and there was a grinding noise coming from the clutch is this normal?

i fitted a luk clutch and a luk flywheel pushing 330hp with no problems as yet....

i fitted a luk clutch and a luk flywheel pushing 330hp with no problems as yet....

Hi Girls N Guys

just got Stage 2 Revo Software loaded on today and guess what my clutch is slipping.

My Question is what luk clutch have you gone for is it the eurocarparts one or GSF or are they the same? bit of a stupid question but i know nothing about clutchs.

It's a common issue for thew clutch/flywheel to go after a remap. But it varies on time period from car to car.

I'm running a Valeo single-mass Flywheel and Clutch since mid last year and had the car remapped back in February.of this year as I told it was the better option but waned that I would get like a knocking noise on idle but...

[can't seem to find the item on ECP but all I remember is that I paid less for the clutch and flywheel then it would have cost me to get a dual mass flywheel on it's own without clutch]

Absoolutley no problems what so ever :D the single mass does feel quite heavy over time but I feel it gives a better driving experience and slightly more pull due to the flywheel being lighter. And if anyone wants to know it was a straight fit :)

Last edited:
cheers for the speedy reply. do you know the torque rating for this clutch?

also i can't seem to find this on ECP website. i'll get googling

S2 Baby - if I can find the item I will post is in here. Can't seem to find it at all on ECP. There is only one flywheel kit on there and that's for a dual mass. Mine was a full kit for around the £300 mark (not entirely sure).

Plenty of individual clutch kits and also the dual mass flywheel on there is seems but nothing single mass related. Pretty sure when I ordered it last year it came up under my registration plate.

Mind I dunno if it differes for quattro as mine is only FWD.

hate to say it, but the kit Wizza is talking about it no use to you :(

the FWD 5 speed kits are totally different to the S3 setup.

A common upgrade on the A3 is an ABF single mass flywheel and VR6 clutch kit.

No idea about the s3 Stuff :( sorry dude.

My clutch went today too :( so I'm now in desperate need of an ABF flywheel to do a SMF conversion this weekend!

My clutch went today too :( so I'm now in desperate need of an ABF flywheel to do a SMF conversion this weekend!

I twigged it was an S3 owner I was taking too as I started searching for SMF's under an S3 search on ECP and thought 'shiit, different set-up' lol

Where do you get the ABF's from dude - future reference that is all. Still determined to find this Valeo set-up again even if I look high and low accross the ****** internet LOL!

can you get it to bite at all now? a bit of an anti climax not been able to test the map......

Yes it does bite if i progressively put the power down.. but when it gets to about 4.5 rpm ish it starts to slip.

slips in every gear starts to shake first where it's trying to bite then either slips or grabs.

question off the subject what PSI should a revo stage 2 be pushing as my boost gauge say 27-28 when the clutch holds but tales off to 24 then down to about 19. bit worried as it hold 27-28 for about 4-5 seconds.

that would be why i can't find the valeo kit for my car. lol

Is there a all in one kit i can buy off the shelf. i think there is a single mass flywheel one there at the min. as clutch has always been heavy and chatters since i bought it.

That's the one. When I searched for my car I wasn't getting that section 'SMF conversion' showing. Maybe I shoudl have gone right back to the top of the site path lol cheers though!

Sounds like an interesting set-up - how does it feel to drive with that or do you not have that fitted yet? A few people I spoke to other week about the SMF conversion said they haven't done it purely for the fact that driving is so much heavier.

Yes it does bite if i progressively put the power down.. but when it gets to about 4.5 rpm ish it starts to slip.

slips in every gear starts to shake first where it's trying to bite then either slips or grabs.

question off the subject what PSI should a revo stage 2 be pushing as my boost gauge say 27-28 when the clutch holds but tales off to 24 then down to about 19. bit worried as it hold 27-28 for about 4-5 seconds.
Thats far to high @ 27-28 psi, on standard internals/stock ko4, try to scale it down like your mates trying to do with unisettings...lol
or fit a mbc in line with your n75 to calm it down....

Sounds like an interesting set-up - how does it feel to drive with that or do you not have that fitted yet? A few people I spoke to other week about the SMF conversion said they haven't done it purely for the fact that driving is so much heavier.

These people clearly have NO CLUE what so ever mate! It annoys me when people spout such **** :(

I can't comment on the ECP kits like you have, but on my track car, I've been running a ligthened 12lb ABF flywheel and LUK VR6 clutch for the past 3 years, and the pedal feel is MUCH lighter than the standard A3 clutch, and I mean seriously, LOTS, LOTS lighter.

It doesn't bite harshly at all, it's 100% road friendly, the pedal feel is miles lighter than a standard A3 clutch (I should know as I have both), and it's rated to 305lbft.

It's a no brainer really!

Your ECP kit may well be heavier due to a different diaphram, but mine is using 100% genuine parts, and it's absolutely ****** wonderful!

Sounds like it could be a plan for when I decided to upgrade - plan was to go for an L&B anyway. At the time I needed a new clutch and flywheel as my DMF had basically killed my clutch and clutch housing;

0000131.jpg

0000132.jpg

0000133.jpg

I forgot to get a picture of the flywheel but the play in it was certainly more than normal as the lad at teh garage pointed out who fitted it for me. As you can see the little springs are missing - they were lying about in the gearbox! And were causing a tremendous rattle on idle!!

The clutch is certainly heavier than when it was first fitted last year but I've done at least 16,000miles since then I think. ANd it is a ****** in town driving at times but I think generally is is sooo much better for gear changing and acceleration. I'm not sure if it has got slightly heverier since the remap but would that be a common thing?

just had a look through the receipts for the S3 last night, a new MTM clutch and MTM flywheel fitted at QST came in at a whopping £1600........... the misses is no officially banded from driving it......

The clutch is certainly heavier than when it was first fitted last year but I've done at least 16,000miles since then I think. ANd it is a ****** in town driving at times but I think generally is is sooo much better for gear changing and acceleration. I'm not sure if it has got slightly heverier since the remap but would that be a common thing?

Clutch feel shouldn't change at all really, and if it does, if anything you'd expect it to get lighter as the springs in the diaphram go soft! I certainly wouldn't expect any clutch to feel heavier over time :S

the difference going between the track car and my daily is extreme though, the standard clutch in the daily feels like its set in concrete compared to the track car, and after a few days in the track car, the daily actually makes my leg ache!

the weight difference is also well worth while, I think the standard DMF is something like 12Kg, the ABF flywheel is 10kg, and I had mine lightened down to 6kg, so it's basically half the weight of the original. makes a huge difference to the way it revs.

So glad I've got a 5speed o2j now, looking at prices for uprated S3 stuff!

One bad thing about those Valeo kits is that you cant use any other clutch on the flywheels. Has to be another Valeo clutch. So if you wanted to upgrade to a heavier duty clutch in the future you`d have to get another flywheel too.

uhhu, that is indeed the issue with getting the ECP upgrade kits.

With the ABF/VR6 setup, if you ever did need to upgrade, you would fit an uprated VR6 clutch kit

Today I had a revo remap and after the remap my clutch now slips on boost. I think that maybe the cars cluth was worn before the remap and the extra torque has now brought this to my attention. would anyone know, will I be safe putting a new standard clutch in or will I need an uprated clutch? (Revo remap 260bhp/285lb Torque

yes. it was already tired.
std LUK clutch is plenty adequate

Clutch feel shouldn't change at all really, and if it does, if anything you'd expect it to get lighter as the springs in the diaphram go soft! I certainly wouldn't expect any clutch to feel heavier over time :S

Im going to Awesome GTi with a few lads tonight for a logging session so will let them have a test for how it feels. Might just be me imagining things. Will see if I can have a go in someone else car and compare the difference between the two unless something else is the cause for it feeling heavy? Certainly feels heavier than when it was first fitted but nevermind, though - it works well and not slipping. Will just keep an eye on it. I know for a fact it's a lot better than the DMF.

sorted my clutch problem out for the daily, new flywheel and bolts from TPS for £160 (ouch), and a clutch kit and slave from GSF for £127, will get it all fitted tomorrow and hopefully that'll be me sorted!

sorted my clutch problem out for the daily, new flywheel and bolts from TPS for £160 (ouch), and a clutch kit and slave from GSF for £127, will get it all fitted tomorrow and hopefully that'll be me sorted!

WTF i just called TPS they quoted me £568 for a DMF for APY 8L S3. Hmm...