Custom Exhaust For Your 8L?

JamJay

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I am sure that some of you are using a custom made cat-back system so I was wondering if you could tell me, especially the South East/Surrey members, where I should look to get one made?

I have checked the usual suspects and there are Powerflow centre's all over but I generally only hear bad things about the ones local to me. Then there's Longlife, their reputation seems to be a lot better but I can't help thinking that every car that goes through these places is 'just another car' so if possible I'd like someone who is independant and takes care to carry the work out for me.

I have no doubt in the quality of Milltek but I'm after something a little more raw sounding :)

well mate i went to longlife the bloke was a gent asked me everything i wanted all specs etc chose my tail pipes and made it to perfect for my car. took about 3 hours or so. They opened up on a saturday for me only and spent the time just on my car so was A* service. cant recommend enough mate

Thanks Dave, appeciated :). I'll give them a call and see what they can do for me. What did you pay for it? Just so I have a ball park figure and some ammo for haggling ;)

Not sure the brand of exhaust etc but in Redhill theres RSR wheels and tyres opposite mercedes and ford...
I have heard good things about their custom exhausts pretty much any spec and they are probably alot cheaper.
Maybe try them?

i used longlife in plymouth and it was an awful job. the guy was hungover on sat so was rude and was rushing. I made the boss redo it. I would never use or recommend them. The point is longlife is a franchise so they are all different. you need a recommendation for the actual one you are going to. i paid £250 fom 4 branch back on scirocco.

i have a pipewerx 3inch downpipe and de-cat, the catback is standard, to be honest it sounds very good especially with the big cone neuspeed it sucks and isssisss, ive wondered what it would sound like with a pipewerx catback, i went for performance first im not sure if a catback gives you any more power at all but i bet it sounds better.

Thanks for the replies and Steve, I agree, it's very much down to the individual centre but it's hard to find people who have been there.

Jdas03, thanks for the suggestion, you really must be a local boy to know that place...a Redhill laddy? I've heard mixed things about RSR though, one friend had his new exhaust bent just so it would fit leaving it all kinked and nasty looking in places, the other had suspension fitted and they forgot to do up the top mount. This was going on 4ys ago mind and I know others are happy with their work so maybe it's changed.

Longlife is looking like the better option I think :)

i paid £300 all in for a custom cat back fitted at longlife mate.

i went to the one in northampton

I am indeed a redhill laddy, unfortunately! Lol
That doesnt sound too good, I know someone who worked at merc across the road and they used to get some work done there, that's where I got recommended them.
Had a punto with a big exhaust on it all done there for dirt cheap.
Considered having the s3 done there too but might give try somewher else having heard that, as unlike my punto I want the exhaust for performance not just noise lol

Thanks Dave, good to have a guide price.

Lol not to worry jdas, I'm one too :). S3's are popular around this way so people do still have taste in this town, I see a black one with black AVUS wheels go by my house frequently, a silver one and two A3's with FMICs sticking out. Hmmm it could be worth a go for their location but I'd be mortified if they ruined my car. On a turbocharged car you don't need to worry so much about the cat-back, all you really need to have it do is expel the gases as fast as possible. Turbocharged cars produce their own back pressure at the turbo so a 3" downpipe, race-cat/de-cat and free flowing cat-back are an ideal setup. Personally I've gone with a branded 3" DP & Race-Cat for quality but cat-back should be fine from anywhere.

Carshalton is our most local Longlife centre I think, when are you planning to have yours done?