Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

8L quattro eats back tyres in 23K!? Haldex issue??

Hello,

following my MOT this week, I've had to replace my rear tyres on the 8L. They're finished in 23 months and 23 thousand miles.
    I've had a few quattros and I don't remember one being this aggressive on the rubber at the rear. It makes me wonder about the front/rear torque split on the standard Haldex which I've heard conflicting reports as to whether the drive is really there at the back during normal conditions or whether it's on all the time.
    Following a couple of "exciting" winters does everyone think this is normal (I know the drive changes with temperature) or do you think I've a larger DTC-invisible Haldex issue...?

Thanks

JimP

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I don't know what everyone else thinks but personally getting 23,000 miles out of tyres seems blinking amazing to me! I'd be well happy if that was me.... (10k here)

1st Gear

Status
    crikey- really??!!

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fran-s3 View Post
    I don't know what everyone else thinks but personally getting 23,000 miles out of tyres seems blinking amazing to me! I'd be well happy if that was me.... (10k here)

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Is the car lowered? do you have adjustable arms?

Chugger

Status
    dam right!
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Thats about 3 x the miles i get.

Sounds good to me assuming they wear evenly

3rd Gear

Status
    sounds good to me too! i get around 12,000 normally on non quattros

6th Gear

Status
    really! you only get 10K, 12K, 8K out of the rear tyres, thats not very good. Although yours is an A4 with Torsen 4WD Mark, is it? But still they are very low numbers. For me that would equate to a max of about 1 year of tread for the rear tyres. The fronts i could understand. At the same time i wouldn't complain if i was only getting 23K out of my rear tyres, that seems pretty good. I think i managed about 20K with my last set of rears. Although my car has since been lowered which may effect the tyre wear...
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    My rears have been on for not much more than that and have lived through 2 sets of fronts... I am on my third set of fronts now and the rears are close to the wear marks... I reckon they haven't done much more mileage than yours tbh 24k ish at a guess...

Fronts wearing concerned me more but I put that down to my my driving style... I like to carry as much of the speed the limit allows around corners as my car handles well so the fronts take a pounding with 1.5 tonnes of vehicle asking that of them...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    oh right- thanks for that lads...

no- the car is totally standard- it has had all the rear end replaced in terms of rolls bars/bushes and springs in the time I've had it so mabey it rides a little bit harder than a softened up '01 plate...?

That's splitting hairs though by the sounds of it!

Somebody at a local tyre outfit was telling me I couldn't mix tread patterns on the car as it affected "rolling circumference" and would cause a differential issue. Audi agreed with that when I mentioned it to them but honestly, what do they know about 10 year old stuff now?!

MOT place told me that was crap- what do you think??

JimP

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    wtf anything over 20k in 2 years is brilliant!

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmp View Post
    oh right- thanks for that lads...

no- the car is totally standard- it has had all the rear end replaced in terms of rolls bars/bushes and springs in the time I've had it so mabey it rides a little bit harder than a softened up '01 plate...?

That's splitting hairs though by the sounds of it!

Somebody at a local tyre outfit was telling me I couldn't mix tread patterns on the car as it affected "rolling circumference" and would cause a differential issue. Audi agreed with that when I mentioned it to them but honestly, what do they know about 10 year old stuff now?!

JimP
    Its plausible but really dependent on the tyres... a 225/45/17 'should' have similar rolling diameter as any other and lets be realistic fronts and rears wear at different rates so that in itself presents as a difference between fronts and rears..

the problem you would potentially have is the difference affecting the speed measurements from the ABS sensors which could at worse case throw a fault up for the ESP...

I would not mix on axles though and I would replace tyres in pairs... this may not be the most practicle solution for some people maybe but I can see where the tyre outfit are going with this... mixing tread patterns across the axle can lead to unpredictable handling... if you find a limit going around a right hand corner it may not be the same going around a left hand corner...

Anyhoo... its sensible advice to keep all the tyres the same on all 4 corners, replace in pairs unless changing to a new trye manufacturer/tread pattern in which case replace all 4 and sell the good ones on ebay..

<tuffty/>
    Last edited by <tuffty/>; 14th January 2011 at 12:58. Reason: specified monster truck tyres!!! DOH!!
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmp View Post

JimP
    My personal opinion based on not alot is that that is bull. I am sure the wear rate across the front to rear would cause more of a disparity between rolling circumferences, but we dont worry about this. But when it comes to tyre brand we all worry that we must have exactly the same front to back....I dont know, maybe i am missing the point here
    Alex S3 AMK

6th Gear

Status
    doh.... Tufty has written much the same
    Alex S3 AMK

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    lol, same here dude.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Its plausible but really dependent on the tyres... a 225/45/27
    <tuffty/>
    You got a monster quatro/truck tuffty lol
    S3 2000 AMK car with a APY engine, minge blue, rs6 alloys and Revo'd by Badger5

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Madeley View Post
    You got a monster quatro/truck tuffty lol
    DOH!... S3 Allroad lol... edited

<tuffty/>

Photographic Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow Broken Byzan On Twitter Add Broken Byzan on Facebook Add Broken Byzan on Google+ Visit Broken Byzan's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookstein View Post
    really! you only get 10K, 12K, 8K out of the rear tyres, thats not very good. Although yours is an A4 with Torsen 4WD Mark, is it? But still they are very low numbers. For me that would equate to a max of about 1 year of tread for the rear tyres. The fronts i could understand. At the same time i wouldn't complain if i was only getting 23K out of my rear tyres, that seems pretty good. I think i managed about 20K with my last set of rears. Although my car has since been lowered which may effect the tyre wear...
    yeah damned torsion has eaten a set in 10-12k miles

1st Gear

Status
    Mine recently ate a set of Dunlop rears in less than twelve months/approx 10k but the front Bridgestones, replaced about a month after are still ok, worn but not virtually bald like the rears. Either something is amiss or Dunlop Sport 01's are very soft.

1st Gear

Status
    My rear tyres on my S3 are due for replacing. They were fitted on 12/09/2007 and have covered 35K miles. (Michelin PS2's)