Which is the best tyre out of the Toyo TR1 v F1 Assys....

fran-s3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hey guys - random one here but any opinions on Toyo TR1's v F1 Assy's at all? I need to replace 2 so only need a pair and will obv be putting them up front. My 2 good ones which I'll be keeping are F1 GSD 2's........

Both the F1 Assy's and TR1's are the same price on Ebay if bought as a pair (about £180 for both)

Thanks guys.

I presume you mean T1R?

The toyos are about 5 years old in terms of tyre design. The F1 Assymetrics are brand new. I'd be looking at the F1 Assyms, or perhaps the new conti sport contact 5p.

NEVER put the better tyres on the front of the car. Might seem like a sparkling idea, but you can easily feel what the front end is doing, and can control it via the steering wheel, not so with the rear. Better tyres up front means your car feels nice and solid, with plenty of grip and steering feel, right up to the point when the **** tyres on the rear let go and put you backwards into a hedge.

Only just a few months ago a friend got bitten by this exact thing, even though he'd tried to apply my logic. One set of tyres were semi-decent contis, but were down to 2mm of tread, other pair were plastic povertyspec ditchfinders but had lots of tread. So he did the "right thing" and put the ditchfinders on the rear as they had more tread. First damp roundabout he spun the car and got ploughed into by an astra. Said there was no warning, steering felt normal etc. He then swapped them round and put the ditchfinders on the front just to compare, and the lack of grip was astounding, but at least with them on the front, he could feel it thru the steering. Needless to say they were all ditched and replaced with a fresh set of new rubber shortly after.

GSD2's are pretty old too, are they still in decent condition?

I'm running f1 assymetrics all round and I rate them, there was a bit of wheel spin when it was -10 but not a lot and i was really giving it the beans on these occasions. I had heard that they weren't very good in the snow but I got around without any problems this year - so far lol

Ps I got mine from camskill and 17" assymetrics were c.£85 each with £3 postage or something stupid

Last edited:
I presume you mean T1R?

The toyos are about 5 years old in terms of tyre design. The F1 Assymetrics are brand new. I'd be looking at the F1 Assyms, or perhaps the new conti sport contact 5p.

NEVER put the better tyres on the front of the car. Might seem like a sparkling idea, but you can easily feel what the front end is doing, and can control it via the steering wheel, not so with the rear. Better tyres up front means your car feels nice and solid, with plenty of grip and steering feel, right up to the point when the **** tyres on the rear let go and put you backwards into a hedge.

Only just a few months ago a friend got bitten by this exact thing, even though he'd tried to apply my logic. One set of tyres were semi-decent contis, but were down to 2mm of tread, other pair were plastic povertyspec ditchfinders but had lots of tread. So he did the "right thing" and put the ditchfinders on the rear as they had more tread. First damp roundabout he spun the car and got ploughed into by an astra. Said there was no warning, steering felt normal etc. He then swapped them round and put the ditchfinders on the front just to compare, and the lack of grip was astounding, but at least with them on the front, he could feel it thru the steering. Needless to say they were all ditched and replaced with a fresh set of new rubber shortly after.

GSD2's are pretty old too, are they still in decent condition?

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry my mistake yes I meant the Toyo T1R's...... True yes the Assymetrics are the newer tyre - I do like the look of tread pattern on the T1R admittedly but my priority is performance in the wet and dry. Really? Wow ok thanks for the advice - goes against what my local garage said but I can see the logic doing that. Doh!

Actually again my mistake it's the F1 GSD3's I have and yeah they're in good condition, they have about 5mm left on them.

Will check out camskill thanks Dane.

Toyo in the dry is very good crap in the wet.
Goodyear f1 gsd's are good in the dry and good in the wet, a better tyre all round

I replaced 4 conti' sport contact 3's with 4 toyo T1R's recently. I've not put many miles on them yet so it's hard to fully compare but so far in the dry the conti's had the edge (but the Toyo's are still very competent). In the wet it's almost the other way around, the conti's were abismal and the Toyo's are ok. Other positives for the Toyo's are:

- Tread pattern looks great on the car (and the walls stretch a little :) )
- Reasonably priced
- Much quieter than the Conti's
- Reports are that they wear ok but I don't have any experience of that yet (they have to be better than the 9k I got out of the conti's :( )

HTH.

cheers guys this has helped loads - am leaning towards the Assy's

GSD3's are fine then. 2's were the previous generation and have been out of production for a while so would probably have been a bit past it.

If you go onto tyrereviews.co.uk, on the right hand sidebar there are various magazine group tests of current model performance tyres. have a flick thru and see how the F1 Assyms compare with the contemporaries.

From memory the conti 5p and bridgestone 001 seem to get rave reviews, the F1assyms are good, but apparently give a lot of drag.

If your wanting wet performance, take a look at Uniroyal Rainsport2's.

I had assy before and were very good but only got 7.5k out of them, after 6k they didnt have much grip less, quite a soft compound tyre as is the toyo.

I had some falken 452's fitted on the weekend but change my tyre size to 215/40/17 so the sidewall is small. Dont get hardly any flex in the sidewall now and turn in is very repsonsive now and the wheel/tyres dont look half as chucky but not stretch. Having run assy before, I would recommend 452 in that size, quite a bit cheaper too.

Oh and as aragorn says make sure you have the gripper tyres on the rear as you dont want the rears slipping before the fronts. Its easier to handle the car if the fronts slip than it is the rears slipping first

Have Eagle F1 Assys and they are AWFUL in the snow and ice. The Goodyear website doesn't even give them a rating for the snow (as they're a summer sports tyre, I assume)

Yep summer tyres work best when they can generate some heat into them. You aint going to be able to generate any heat into them in snow an ice so no grip.

winter tyre in the winter wil be alot better than any performance summer tyre as they are designed to warm up quicker at lower temps and are better at dispersing water an snow from the treads

Pirelli Rosso's FTW ;)

I've heard the goodyears are shocking in snow, perhaps a consideration after what we have had? can anyone confirm?

I got around fine on my goodyears in the snow

I wouldnt expect any summer tyre to be any good in the snow but as dane just says, they are manageable to do your normal travelling around

Ive done 15k on my Goodyear F1 asymmetrics which included a trip to the ring. I rate them highly. Not bad in the snow but then I have awd.

Ive had T1R's on another car and it was bad in the wet. Soft compound means lots of grip in the summer.

Cheers Minty - hows the grip levels in the wet with the F1 Assys? Not that I'm expecting them to be amazing....

From my personal experience, Goodyear Assys in the wet are almost like driving on dry roads, they really are that good.

And all that on a car that is FWD, not 4WD. True, they are 'soft' and wear quicker than most but considering that it is the only part of the car that is in contact with the road surface (and a small contact area at that), they are worth every penny. I also found that they are quieter than the previous GSD2/3's which is a bonus.

Ye assys r good in the wet. Havent got a clue how you got 15k out of a set minty, fair play thats good. Changed mine after 7ish as they wear dead.

Got a set of T1R's on my S3 and there the best tyre i've ever had, never had any loss of grip, a great tyre for the price.

i'm getting T1R's all round.

driven my mates Ek3 civic. with 15" TD's 1.2 with T1R's for the price they are epci. very good in the dry and good in wet. i would personally recommend

DAM IT STOP CONFUSING ME PEOPLE! lol..... From what I can understand then both are dam good tyres but the Assy's may last me that bit longer which is going to swing it.... Cheers guys.

Conti sports all day !! Amazing in dry and still prety good in wet :-D