Wheel Bearings

sharpr

Reaction score
Anybody got any experience replacing wheel bearings on an S3?

I have noticed a grinding noise when the car is moving and suspect the wheel bearings, however can anybody suggest something else that may be causing the noise.

My S3 is just over 3 years old, with 34,000 miles on the clock, therefore I think it is a bit early for the wheel bearings to be on there way out.

Wheel Bearings generally "Drone" as they are of the pressed in variety and are non adjustable, therefore I'd be inlined to go for brake linings than bearings... Have a look first..and let us know how you get on.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I just had to change my rear right wheel bearing on my S3. It has done approx 65.000 km (40.000 miles) so it seems a bit early, but I guess if the seal in the bearing unit is damaged in some way, It will wear out.
I heard no noise or anything, just felt a small free play in the bearing when pulling and pushing on the wheel with the car jacked up.
Now afterwards I noticed that the car is a bit more quiet so I guess there was some kind of noise from the bearing after all. The driving stability is also a bit better.

Luckily the rear bearings are cheaper to change on an S3 or A3 Quattro than on the FWD models.. I paid approx 150 GBP (converted from SEK) including both material and labor.

Thanks for the advise and information. Perhaps "grinding" was a poor descirption of the noise, whereas "drone" is more like it. I haven't had an opportunity to investigate further yet, but I will keep you informed.

Jacked up each corner of the car in turn to check for any free play and / or noise from the wheels, but nothing was evident.

Noticed that the droning noise becomes more evident when slowing the car down.

Any ideas?

Or am I just hearing things?

It may be the tyres! Are they low?

I had this problem and was convinced it was the wheel baring until I spoke to my dealer and he said that it could be the tyres! changed my tyres and problem went away!

Hope this helps
Rich.

my A3 T sport 99 T started making a very similar noise recently, it did sound like a grating noise or a drone/vibrating sound. i knew the brake pads were worn so assumed it would go away when i got these changed, but it hasn't.

I have fitted S3 alloys to the car but cant see this causing the problem or am i wrong?? it does make the sound more when cornering or under slowing or braking.

I think this sounds like the wheels bearings. would i be correct in thinking this given the symtoms??

Ross /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I get a bit off a drone aswell,i was also told it was the tyres.I'm getting some new tyres soon(goodyear gsd's) so hopefully this will solve the problem??

sharpr said:
Jacked up each corner of the car in turn to check for any free play and / or noise from the wheels, but nothing was evident.

Noticed that the droning noise becomes more evident when slowing the car down.

Any ideas?

Or am I just hearing things?

Yeah when slowing mine does it too, anyone????

dickys3 said:
It may be the tyres! Are they low?

I had this problem and was convinced it was the wheel baring until I spoke to my dealer and he said that it could be the tyres! changed my tyres and problem went away!

Hope this helps
Rich.

I have tyre whine, that sounds just like a rear wheel bearing!! I know its tyres as I had the car on a ramp, in gear with all wheels turning and used a stethascope to listen ot the bearings, all quiet as a mouse!

worth consiidering the tyres, worn dunlops are notoriouos for noise!!

Only way to tell for sure really is to jack the car up and run the wheels - be warned if it is a bearing change it sharpish they have a right nasty habit of destroying the hub flanges

changed tyres round, new wheel bearing still does it, hoping its not driveshaft! Any other ideas, think it cud possibly be outter cv joint??
sounds worse at 26mph esp slowing down

Did you fit new tyres...? Some tyres when worn are just noisy, if the fronts and backs are worn you replace a noisy tyre with another! !

If they were new, sounds like you have a problem.

simch said:
Did you fit new tyres...? Some tyres when worn are just noisy, if the fronts and backs are worn you replace a noisy tyre with another! !

If they were new, sounds like you have a problem.

Had same tyres b4, so know what they sound like, but know what ya saying regards to that. Have changed tyres around and still have thesame noise, so that wud sujest tyre and wheel are ok. just makes a wurring noise between 25 - 35mph, dont feel any vibe thru steering either, just slight judder under braking, but that doesnt happen all the time...so any other ideas??

Wheel bearing mate, they tend to go in 2's

jack the car up and grab your wheel from top to bottom and see if there's any play.

rodenal said:
Wheel bearing mate, they tend to go in 2's

jack the car up and grab your wheel from top to bottom and see if there's any play.

No play at all, 1st thing that was checked! Bearings can go at anytime, not normally in pairs from past experience!

Any ideas on cost? and you rekon its dealer only job??

Guys,spinning the wheel and checking for play Top and bottom, wont always work..
Lots of front hub bearings now are "Dual track" bearings , It's a bit like two bearings stuck together!

Only when w8 is on them might you hear some noise..
not sure the type of bearing on your car though!
only putting you in the picture..
regards

mav

It was the tyres on mine. They had feathered badly as they had worn. It sounded terrible, especially on the rears. Even the garage commented when it was on the RR. There was no play in te bearings, changing the tyres completely sorted it. Its happening again now as the tyres are almost at the end of their life. (Avon ZZ3's)

Though yours may be different of course...

I agree, the tyres it seems to do it on are the very hard wearing and hard compiund ones like dunlop sp9000s and Avon ZZRs..

Why not see if a fellow member nearby will swap the rear wheels and tyres over for a test drive..... May be all you need.

If its wheel bearings, bet on about £120 a side form a dealer, fitted up, if its diff bearings, I am not sure they are available as spares form audi, they tend ot only sell you a whole diff for like £2k!! Fingers crossed its tyres or wheel Beraing!

simch said:
I agree, the tyres it seems to do it on are the very hard wearing and hard compiund ones like dunlop sp9000s and Avon ZZRs..

Why not see if a fellow member nearby will swap the rear wheels and tyres over for a test drive..... May be all you need.

If its wheel bearings, bet on about £120 a side form a dealer, fitted up, if its diff bearings, I am not sure they are available as spares form audi, they tend ot only sell you a whole diff for like £2k!! Fingers crossed its tyres or wheel Beraing!

Had the these tyres b4, so i dont think its the wear on them, had bearing done, didnt make any difference! Had the Haldex oil and filter changed at xmas at 3950 so im wondering if any oil has leaked from the Dif, what u guys rekon! I'll be ****** off if they have ****'d the job up, what cud go wrong??
Had the noise awhile now but does seem strange ive noticed it get louder since january!! Well its booked in for Tuesday for them to check, they best not charge me if its this problem either!!

BTW 31quid for Bearing at dealers and i had this fitted along with Front pads all for 60quid that included the pads, haha!

Do they normally go at 40k or am i just 4skin unlucky?!? presuming that what it is??