Tyres??? Michelin PS2 or Conti-Sport-Contact 3

Maz

Reaction score
Hi guys, need to replace all four as my ps1's have had it.

I've been offered Michelin PS2 or Continental SC3 for £132 each.

Which ones would you go for?

Have you used the ps2 in the past Dave? If so how's the tread lifespan?

Uniroyal RainSport 2s!
(Unless you live in a desert?)

Currently £88 on Camskill for 18s... were £106 before.
99% as good as anything else in the dry, 200% better in the wet.

Have you used the ps2 in the past Dave? If so how's the tread lifespan?

my old man has on his A4 and they lasted what seemed like an eternity hes had em about 2 years and still going strong. about 25000 miles ish

Thnks JS1500, I'm tempted to give them a shot if they really are that good???

I'm calling my local fitter to see how much he can get them for whilst I type.

Why do you rate them so highly?

That's a shame, you'd think they would have been improved.

I would have gone for PS1 again but they are knocking on £160 a corner nowadays.

Thanks for you help guys, Ive decided to go for the PS2's.

I've twisted the guys arm for £130 a corner fitted, so well happy with that.

Thnks JS1500, I'm tempted to give them a shot if they really are that good???

I'm calling my local fitter to see how much he can get them for whilst I type.

Why do you rate them so highly?

In the dry they stick a lot better than the Dunlop Sport Maxx TTs I had on the car when I bought it, and they aren't cheap tyres (£140ish). Fair enough I have no experience of PS2s or SC3s, but I can't fault them in the dry.
In the wet (i'm talking rivers running down the road) you'd think it was mildly moist! Barely a hint of aquaplaning over flooded roads, they keep true - no pulling to one side. Grip in the wet was what I was after as this is when it matters most to me, in the dry you'll struggle to reach the limit of most of these high-end tyres but in the wet it's all too easy with some.
Compliments the Haldex nicely too.
They seem to be lasting well. Had mine on for almost a year (10,000 miles) and they still look pretty new. Not measured the tread, but it's still deep. Just replaced one as it got a split in the sidewall from a pothole, that's how I discovered the price had dropped to £88 (£95 delivered). Originally replaced all four Dunlops as they all had pothole damage to sidewalls (bulging).
Curb protection is ok on them too and they're XL rated and speed rated W to 186mph (there is a Y rated version also available from some places rated to 168mph).
Snow - not what they're designed for but no worse than most. Better than the Dunlops!
The tread looks good too if that matters!

Uniroyal Rainsport 2 - tyre reviews, the online tyre guide

No worries pal, he doesn't have the uniroyals in stock anyway and I need to get them done today.

Good choice. Re: the conti 3's, had them on my S3 and they were very poor in the wet but pretty good in the dry. They didn't last long though, prob about 9kish...

Hey guys - sorry to go on a random one here but any opinions on Toyo TR1's v F1 Assy's at all? I need to replace 2 so only need a pair. My 2 good ones which I'll be keeping are F1 GSD 2's........

Both the F1 Assy's and TR1's are the same price on Ebay if bought as a pair (about £180 for both)

I know you've gone with PS2s, but I have Conti 3s on the front at the moment. Superb tyre, seem to come standard with all the previous Audi's we've had. Currently on the family waggon and were on the 2lTDI prior to that.

But then again, any tyre is better than the previously fitted P6000!!! They were so good on my Clio, but guess that wasn't exactly pushed being a 1.2!

I have the F1 Assy all round on mine. Extremely grippy tyre that I can highly recommend for both wet and dry conditions. They don't last long though! I'm lucky to get £10k out of mine (though they tend to get a trackday in that time as well, granted).

Just got home and happy to report they feel great, very grippy, straight line acceleration has certainly been improved, and feedback through steering is very positive. Looks likes its going to rain shortly as well so will have a chance to test them in the wet.

My old PS1's were going bald on the outer edge (fronts) so anything would have been an improvement although initial thoughts suggest the PS2's are gonna be a beast of a tyre!!!

Maz mate hope you're well. I've had ps2's all round and now on ps3's all round. Apparently for te ps3's theyve sacrificed some of the dry grip to improve the wet grip. I can report that the ps2's lasted me about 18000 miles or so. Great looking tyre. I only moved to the ps3's after reading the review and testing of ps3's on audis in the Audi driver mag. Hope that helps mate.

I have PS2s on my S3 - great tyres, lasted 15k so far and still going strong. I mostly drive on b-roads/fast country lanes so they're subjected to a lot of acceleration/braking/turning forces. They also have a decent amount of overlap on the rim to protect from kerbing (the wife, not me...)

I've always used Contis before on previous cars (SportContact / PremiumContact / PremiumContact2) and really rate them. Great grip in all weathers and last well.

So I'd just take your pick as IMO they're equally good.