Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

advice needed re:ABS / ESP intermittent warning lights

advice please guys... from reading the forum i've found it's a regular problem.

tonight my ABS and ESP amber caution lights illuminated and remained on. i got home, had a read of the manual and forum etc and without jacking up the car and removing the wheels, i went to check the car for obvious leaks, damaged wires. i couldn't find anything obvious.

i started the car up and found the ESP light had gone off. i then went for a short drive and the ABS went off too.

i thought everything was good again, then they re-appeared for some minutes, then went off again.

11 days ago i had to replace the rear pads, so i'm wondering if i've disturbed a sensor or not?..if i had, i would have thought i'd seen problems before now?

what do you think as a first step?.. clean sensors/sensor plugs?..vagcom? (which i don't have so it'll cost me 's)...or is it a sign of something more serious? (ABS module).

i'm not sure what step to take next, so any help would be appreciated...thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    1st step is to get it on a scanner and read the codes
    even if there not on they will be stored

i had this a few weeks ago and it was my battery going dead

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Im in leeds and can get it on the computer for you on saturdays if stuck, it can be many things and a scan will tell you...

Reverse Gear

Status
    thanks lads....s3dave, thanks mate, i may take you up on that..i've never used this vagcom thing, is it straight forward to do?

Reverse Gear

Status
    ok if i pm you s3dave?

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gavcav View Post
    thanks lads....s3dave, thanks mate, i may take you up on that..i've never used this vagcom thing, is it straight forward to do?
    yes just plug in, pm me if you want it scanned

5th Gear

Status
    Likely to be an ABS sensor, especially as you have just done your rear brakes. Happened to me after doing my fronts last year. They are only ~15 a pop, so not an expensive fix...

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alijames View Post
    Likely to be an ABS sensor, especially as you have just done your rear brakes. Happened to me after doing my fronts last year. They are only ~15 a pop, so not an expensive fix...

Cheers,
    or the longitudinal sensor which is part of the ABS system : 150

bargain

1st Gear

Status
    i got the same problem on my a3 can drive 4 miles with lights on then switch off and restart the car and they stay off for a while doing rear brakes today and discs also having a scan done will post any codes later today

6th Gear

Status
    This happened to me and was one Of my throttle sensors. Cost about 100 from midland VW to fix.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

1st Gear

Status
    done readout came back as front o/s abs sensor this problem started when i replaced front discs so have cleaned sensor and ring been for a spin and so far so good hope this helps if it comes back on will replace sensor unit cost around 15