headlight switch - illumination?

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
Hi all.
recently the red illumination of my headlight switch (facelift 8l) has been flickering on and off?

Are the bulbs servicable (ie replace) or are they diaode type SMD led's?

Also:
Any idea how much they are -dealer?.
How is the switch removed?. pretty sure i have read you turn to position '2' and pull?

cheers

All I can say is I hope you don't have to replace the whole switch as it's £84 or something daft.
Garage replaced mine so not sure exactly how it's removed, sorry.

Mine flickers as well Ive just bought the car so sorting a few bits on it

Yeah you should be able to open the switch up, theres will be a few LEDs inside which needs replacing, but is gonna be an very awkward job.
Best to just goto scrappies and get a replacement.

Recently bought one from Ebay for £35 lad. Mine was scratched to *****. Might be selling this one actually, if you're interested, as the one I've replaced it with appears to be a different finish :( It's just smooth black plastic, rather than a rubberised finish....??!! OCD will be making me pay for a new one from the Stealers, so PM me if you're interested. I do you good price my friend :salute:

Tell me about it Dany. It can only be solved with buying a brand spanking new car, but currently don't have the 28k I need for an 8P 2011!

Recently bought one from Ebay for £35 lad. Mine was scratched to *****. Might be selling this one actually, if you're interested, as the one I've replaced it with appears to be a different finish :( It's just smooth black plastic, rather than a rubberised finish....??!! OCD will be making me pay for a new one from the Stealers, so PM me if you're interested. I do you good price my friend :salute:

That's interesting, as I got a scrapper one from a newer S3 and it too was in a slightly different finish - as you say, more smooth plastic than rubberised. I assumed mine had some from an A3 and the seller had described it wrongly.

Anyway, I swapped the surround from my existing switch onto the new barrel and it looks ok - all lights up fine. Although you mention yours was scratched so I assume that wouldn't work for you.

Yeah just a note, push in and turn clockwise, NOT anticlockwise!

JCS; I think there are two types fella, two finishes. I noted this when changing my aircon buttons as well. Although they don't stand out on the CC. It doesn't reallllllyyyyy matter, but OCD, you know ;)