Symphony radio displaying "SAFE"

• Thread starter imported_monkeytrousers
  • Start date
I

imported_monkeytrousers

Hi

My Symphony radio has stopped working and is displaying "SAFE" on the LCD.

I have typed the 4 digit code in as per the user manual but it just goes straight back to SAFE again.

One of the reasons given for the SAFE display is a blown fuse. Presumably if this is the case then re-entering the code isn't going to work.

Do you think this is what's happened? Where are the fuses in an S3?

Cheers and happy Christmas.

[ QUOTE ]
monkeytrousers said:
Hi

My Symphony radio has stopped working and is displaying "SAFE" on the LCD.

I have typed the 4 digit code in as per the user manual but it just goes straight back to SAFE again.

One of the reasons given for the SAFE display is a blown fuse. Presumably if this is the case then re-entering the code isn't going to work.

Do you think this is what's happened? Where are the fuses in an S3?

Cheers and happy Christmas.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about the Symphony HU, so can't offer any suggestions there, but the fuses are in the same place as on an A3 AFAIK... Open the Driver's door and pop the panel off the end of your dash. There is a list of what each fuse does in the Owner's Handbook - that should help you track down the one(s) to check.

Regards,

Rob.

Do you definately have the right owners manual / head unit combination as it's not uncommon for dealers to mix them up meaning you are entering the incorrect code for your head unit.

You can't just type in the number you have to perform a set sequence.
You need to press TP & RDS together for about 5-10 secs until SAFE disappears and you get 1000 displayed.
Then you use the 1-4 digits on the keypad to enter the code by pressing 1 multiple times, and then 2 multiple times etc. So if the code is 1922, then you press 1 once, 2 nine times, 3 twice and 4 twice. With the correct code displaying on the HU you then press and hold TP & RDS again until the radio comes on.

I had a similar problem with my headunit-if its the fuse u want to replace its located at eh back of the actual headunit. Mine is a concert system and the blade fuse was on the very right hand side....hope this helps.

is it me or do all audi headunits suck!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Cheers AndyMac - I did follow that procedure but it stayed in SAFE. Will check the fuse asap.

I don't believe you will get SAFE displayed if the fuse has gone. I found on some HU's you really have to hold the 2 buttons down really hard before the 1000 will be displayed, and likewise to get the radio to come on after entering the code.
If you balls it up you can end up changing the code by mistake, so that the original code will not work anymore.

The manual says you will get SAFE if the fuse is gone. I'll try replacing it before doing anything else.
Cheers.