S3 or TDI dilemma??

openside

Reaction score
Hi guys, my situation....ive got a budget of upto 6k. My annual mileage is 10k, im looking at either a S3 2001 or younger under 100k miles, A3 1.9tdi or quattro or A3 2.0 tdi(which would be top end of budget i know) upto 110k miles. I will be putting a remap on whichever car i choose. Is the S3 alot more fun than the diesels to warrant the extra cash, even after they've been remapped, or are they a totally different beast, any similarities etc.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

If im honest id just go for the 8L S3 over the 8L 1.9 or 2.0tdi 8P. Yes the S3 would be alot more fun than any of those diesels and alot more special.
You see 2.0tdi A3 every where same with the 1.9. Take them for a test drive and then decide which one best for you.
I'm sure the 8L guys can help you alot better than i can :)

After a crappy day at work, I look forward to getting in my S3 and commuting home.

After a crappy day at work, I look forward to getting in my S3 and commuting home.

Yeah thats basically what i want it for, when ive got a bit of me time. My other cars an A6 avant , good dog and kids transporter but not a great deal of fun!!

I previously had a A3 8p 2.0tdi which I had remapped and I can honestly say the S3 in standard form is alot more fun. Don't get me wrong the 8p Tdi is a great car but the 8l S3 feels special (even better when remmaped) in terms of mpg there's no comparison you can easily get 50mpg from the diesel even after remap as opposed to 25mpg average from my S3

Im a mega TDI fan buttt all though they may have juicy torque, if i could insure one i could havd the S3 instead any day! TDI's arn't built for speed, S3 on the other hand ;-p

Like benskin07 said have a test drive, both won't disapoint! :)

I would say it all depends on what you intend to do with it and how many miles you do. I have two mates selling their very special performance vehicles to get diesels, because of the running costs. (b5 Audi S4 and r34 skyline v-spec).

If you do any more than 250miles/week in it I would advise the diesel 100%, unless you like running costs!. I personally own an 8l a3 tdi quattro, and I dont care what the S3 lads say, this car is one of the most rare vehicles that grace our roads (check autotrader *national* search THREE!! advertised), so feels every bit as special as an S3 to drive, as the chassis is exactly the same and the engine is a peach of a diesel. When an S3 passes me I think to myself tidy motor, nice choice.... for a commoner lol :kissmyrings:

Although there is no doubting it no oil burner can compete against a performance petrol in terms of outright fun.

In summary if you want a nice balanced motor get the 8P Tdi (cos finding an 8L 1.9tdi quattro will see you looking for a year). If you do less than 250miles a week and want some fun deffo s3!

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the advice. S3 it is then! Unfortunately there isn't any S3's in my area to have a peek at so judging by the pics on here and pistonheads Black, red(audi's absolute red looks a lot nicer in real life) and or the unusual nogaro blue look good. Internally looks like im gonna have to black as the silver and cream look a nightmare to keep clean!! Let the hunt begin and endless hours on the net.

Hmm I have a s3 but I love driving TDIs so I'm completely unbiased. S3s are wicked but they arnt exactly cheap to run. Depends how much you like spending on cars, if you don't mind spending alot 8l s3 is the choice. But if you want something easier and cheaper I'd say an 8p tdi, it's not like they are slow, they chip up really well and the power delivery is fairly savage.

Hmm I have a s3 but I love driving TDIs so I'm completely unbiased. S3s are wicked but they arnt exactly cheap to run. Depends how much you like spending on cars, if you don't mind spending alot 8l s3 is the choice. But if you want something easier and cheaper I'd say an 8p tdi, it's not like they are slow, they chip up really well and the power delivery is fairly savage.

Anybody on here driven a chipped 8p tdi or 8L tdi quattro(seen a nice black one on autotrader)

This is weird! You have the exact same dilemma as me!!! Even though Insurance comes into it with me... £800 for an 8P tdi or £1200 for S3... I think S3 may be worth the extra. Anyone have any idea what repair costs are like, as I'd imagine the S3 to be more expensive. It maybe a too generalised question...

question answered as i posted! lol

Last edited:
This is weird! You have the exact same dilemma as me!!! Even though Insurance comes into it with me... £800 for an 8P tdi or £1200 for S3... I think S3 may be worth the extra. Anyone have any idea what repair costs are like, as I'd imagine the S3 to be more expensive. It maybe a too generalised question...

question answered as i posted! lol

Decisions, decisions hey, do i go with the heart or head!! Fortunately im an old man of 37yrs so not quite in the same predicament as you. Have to say the S3's look ****** lovely though!

Here's the way I look at it.....

(I don't want this to offend anyone, there are of course always exceptions)

If you're a 'bloke that likes his cars' then get a TDi and have it mapped, the torque will make you think it's super quick, and all your mates will be jealous when you tell them you've got 300lbft.

If you're a serious car fanatic, it's your real passion in life, and think you may consider track days and such like at any point, then you surely couldn't ever be happy in a TDi? for a real driving experience, the TDi lumps are pretty rubbish. That's not to say that they can't make a quick road car though that 90% of people will love....

Anybody on here driven a chipped 8p tdi or 8L tdi quattro(seen a nice black one on autotrader)

As above yes I owned one for nearly two years, a year with the map. I would check if the clutch has been changed as with all the torque they don't last that long. It does feel like a quick car remmaped but it's not as much of a drivers car as the S3. The 2.0tdi lump is quite heavy so in it's not great in the twisty's IMO

Here's the way I look at it.....

(I don't want this to offend anyone, there are of course always exceptions)

If you're a 'bloke that likes his cars' then get a TDi and have it mapped, the torque will make you think it's super quick, and all your mates will be jealous when you tell them you've got 300lbft.

If you're a serious car fanatic, it's your real passion in life, and think you may consider track days and such like at any point, then you surely couldn't ever be happy in a TDi? for a real driving experience, the TDi lumps are pretty rubbish. That's not to say that they can't make a quick road car though that 90% of people will love....

Nicely put Prawn. A TDI as good as these new modern ones are they still don't have the same level of driving pleasure as a performance petrol engine.

Nathan

I've had two 8P 2.0 TDIs as lease cars through work, they're nicely built and go well, but I wouldn't swap either for my 8L S3.

As has been said, it makes my 58 mile commute home more bearable !

Last edited:
S3 I'd say, great fun, luxury, rare, special.
Also on the motorway I have seen 35mpg average which is really good!
Downside being the same with all Audis I believe - high maintenance and repair costs :-(
Go s3 sure you won't be disappointed!
If your gonna mod it then I'd suggest getting one that's been remapped or suspension sorted as in the long run it'll save you literally thousands as I'm sure you will see on here!

S3 I'd say, great fun, luxury, rare, special.
Also on the motorway I have seen 35mpg average which is really good!
Downside being the same with all Audis I believe - high maintenance and repair costs :-(
Go s3 sure you won't be disappointed!
If your gonna mod it then I'd suggest getting one that's been remapped or suspension sorted as in the long run it'll save you literally thousands as I'm sure you will see on here!

Waw! All ive ever had is vw/audi/skoda all tdi's apart from the octavia II TFSI which was a lovely engine but could'nt tolerate the roadnoise!! Never had the 1.8t......didn't realise they were that high maintenance!

No not necessarily, what I mean is when they do go wrong it can be pricey.
And most of them are 10 years old which is where you find some problems, usual checking when buying to make sure you get a good one and all will be fine I'm sure :-D

Seriously, guys. Is there anything we can do about this spamming? Almost every thread is full of it this morning!