12k and 18months, No service, oil change or 'full' service

maxp

Reaction score
My a3 1.8t had a full service at 85k (all filters, oil, blades and plugs).

Its now on 97k 18 months on and ive just been given the chance to get it serviced.

I can either leave it for another few months (~100k), get just an oil change or get the full service.

What would you guys do? Was going for the full whack, but just having a few thoughts.

15k is a loooong time for a healthy extended life engine to wait for new oil. I would say if you want your engine and especially your turbo to last for any particularly long period of time (another 50k) religiously change oil and filter every 10k tops. However if your going to sell in a year or two, it wont matter too much, 100k is early days for an averagely maintained 1.8t. You will just fob off potential future mechanical failure to the next owner.

If you're worried, I would change the oil now with the filter, and then at 100K do a full service as well. For the sake of £50 for an oil change now you'll give the engine a bit of a clean out with the new oil before the full service.

I would also recommend at the full service, dropping the sump, giving it a good clean and also the cleaning the oil pick up pipe because I can guarentee that at 100k there will be crap in the pickup filter. This along with the service will protect the engine from oil problems in the future.

I would not dream of exceeding 10k or 12 months between oil changes, especially on a turbo car, no matter what AVS says. I usually do mine every 6-7k.

Replaced my oil pickup last time and it was scary what was in there!!

Cheers,