JMB RetrofitsAH Fabrications
    4th Gear

Status

Recommendations for replacement shocks (not lowered)

Hi All

Looking to replace the origional shocks on the S3 this year but I do not want to lower it at all, there are so many road humps around here that its a pain with standard shocks let alone lowering it and making a problem a nightmare. What I want is a high quality shock that will give an improvement in handling without being bone jaringly firm, I'm thinking Koni, Boge or Bilstein but am keen to hear others experiences and suggestions. also am I correct in thinking springs should be changed as well (85,000 miles). I have tried the search facilty but it seems to just bring up loads of stuff on lowered coilovers etc and I dont want to lower.

Thanks in advance
    Nige
    Last edited by sportquattro; 6th January 2011 at 20:54. Reason: usual crap typing
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

2. # ADS
    ADS

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    The best option people go for are B8s and H&R springs. However this lowers the car 25mm.

I had the same thoughts recently, and after coming from a bone crunching coilovered clio I was in the same boat.

I've just had new shocks and springs fitted, all OEM. Went down this route as I rarely want better handling from the car and wanted it as standard as possible. The difference is astronomical! Tired 75k shocks and springs vs new items is great!

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JD09 View Post
    The best option people go for are B8s and H&R springs. However this lowers the car 25mm.

I had the same thoughts recently, and after coming from a bone crunching coilovered clio I was in the same boat.

I've just had new shocks and springs fitted, all OEM. Went down this route as I rarely want better handling from the car and wanted it as standard as possible. The difference is astronomical! Tired 75k shocks and springs vs new items is great!

Hi JD09

Thanks for the reply, that was another consideration, if you dont mind me asking, how much did Audi sting you for the parts? Did they fit them as well? My reasoning for Koni, Boge etc was that they may be less cost wise than OEM but if OEM prices not bad then quite happy especially if as you describe it makes a big difference going new OEM.

nige
    1999 Audi S3 Superchips remap, Forge 007p, Phatnoise, Black Diamond Discs & DS2500 pads, N249 Deleted, Badger 5 TIP, Poly dogbone bush, Bilstein B8's and Eibach Springs.

1986 Audi Coupe Quattro 2.2 restoration project

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Billy B8's and Eibach Pro springs will give a little drop (not that noticeable) but the improvement in handling will be huge.... it won't drop it low enough to worry about... I have B8's on -30mm Apex springs and I can clear speed bumps no probs... I do slow right down for them though...

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    Billy B8's and Eibach Pro springs will give a little drop (not that noticeable) but the improvement in handling will be huge.... it won't drop it low enough to worry about... I have B8's on -30mm Apex springs and I can clear speed bumps no probs... I do slow right down for them though...

<tuffty/>
    I went with B8's and eibach's when I replaced mine and I'd agree with tufty - big improvement over the original items and to me the car looks about the same height as it did on the original suspension (it was on 95k by that time though).

It wasn't cheap but I think it was worth it.

Mike
    S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8's & Eibach Springs, Neuspeed ARB's (22mm front & 19mm rear).

Badger 5's Machined Discs with DS2500 pads & HEL braided lines.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    If sticking to being as original as possible, maybe just a fresh set of shock absorbers would do the trick, like a set of KYB shocks in standard OEM spec wouldn't cost the earth.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

I'm not modding, I'm improving

Status
    One thing to consider about my post, I am possibly moving to LANDAN so wanted to keep the car as standard as possible (keep my potential buyers market as open as possible).