Recommendations for replacement shocks (not lowered)

sportquattro

Reaction score
Hi All

Looking to replace the origional shocks on the S3 this year but I do not want to lower it at all, there are so many road humps around here that its a pain with standard shocks let alone lowering it and making a problem a nightmare. What I want is a high quality shock that will give an improvement in handling without being bone jaringly firm, I'm thinking Koni, Boge or Bilstein but am keen to hear others experiences and suggestions. also am I correct in thinking springs should be changed as well (85,000 miles). I have tried the search facilty but it seems to just bring up loads of stuff on lowered coilovers etc and I dont want to lower.

Thanks in advance
Nige

Last edited:
The best option people go for are B8s and H&R springs. However this lowers the car 25mm.

I had the same thoughts recently, and after coming from a bone crunching coilovered clio I was in the same boat.

I've just had new shocks and springs fitted, all OEM. Went down this route as I rarely want better handling from the car and wanted it as standard as possible. The difference is astronomical! Tired 75k shocks and springs vs new items is great!

The best option people go for are B8s and H&R springs. However this lowers the car 25mm.

I had the same thoughts recently, and after coming from a bone crunching coilovered clio I was in the same boat.

I've just had new shocks and springs fitted, all OEM. Went down this route as I rarely want better handling from the car and wanted it as standard as possible. The difference is astronomical! Tired 75k shocks and springs vs new items is great!

Hi JD09

Thanks for the reply, that was another consideration, if you dont mind me asking, how much did Audi sting you for the parts? Did they fit them as well? My reasoning for Koni, Boge etc was that they may be less cost wise than OEM but if OEM prices not bad then quite happy especially if as you describe it makes a big difference going new OEM.

nige

Billy B8's and Eibach Pro springs will give a little drop (not that noticeable) but the improvement in handling will be huge.... it won't drop it low enough to worry about... I have B8's on -30mm Apex springs and I can clear speed bumps no probs... I do slow right down for them though... :)

<tuffty/>

Billy B8's and Eibach Pro springs will give a little drop (not that noticeable) but the improvement in handling will be huge.... it won't drop it low enough to worry about... I have B8's on -30mm Apex springs and I can clear speed bumps no probs... I do slow right down for them though... :)

<tuffty/>

I went with B8's and eibach's when I replaced mine and I'd agree with tufty - big improvement over the original items and to me the car looks about the same height as it did on the original suspension (it was on 95k by that time though).

It wasn't cheap but I think it was worth it.

Mike

If sticking to being as original as possible, maybe just a fresh set of shock absorbers would do the trick, like a set of KYB shocks in standard OEM spec wouldn't cost the earth.

One thing to consider about my post, I am possibly moving to LANDAN so wanted to keep the car as standard as possible (keep my potential buyers market as open as possible).