FK AK Street Coils Audi S3...

jdas03

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been thinking for a long time about suspension.
My standard S3 suspension has done around 90k and as expected is getting very boat like and beginning to creak.
I think it is getting to the time where i need to replace it :-(
Unfortunately the funds aren't there for the billy and H+R that i know is meant to be brilliant so i am forced to look at cheaper options.

I have found a thread on a TT forum which makes me think the titled coils maybe worth a shot:

The Audi TT Forum :: View topic - FK AK STREET Height Adjustable Coilovers ... £210

But as usual i come to ASN for some expert advice!

I am not going to be tracking the car but i want to get rid of that boaty feeling and make the car handle better!
If i went the coil route i would keep them at their highest setting (with these 30mm drop) as scraping wheel arch's isn't really my thing!

Any one any experience of these? tie bars essential with these too? really want to do one thing at a time starting with the spring + damper replacement!
Any advice on other products if these are a load of poop?

Cheers

if it was my money and i was you i think i would buy uprated standard shocks and dampers with a 30mm drop. I suspect these will be a bit back breaking!

Funnily enough fitted a set of these to my S3 yesterday. Although I got the ones for the 8L as the ones on the TT websites where listed for the 8N.

Straight forward to fit, however the rears did need a little tweaking to fit and the adjuster didn't quite fit over the rubber mount on the bottom arm, I think as the rubber had compressed over the years and was slightly out of shape. Also the top eye on the damper was a bit bigger than the bolt so I had to make up a sleeve to go in the eye to stop it knocking.

Having only driven less than 20miles to work this morning on them I can't really comment on the ride, however compared to befor ( I had a broken front spring ) the ride is a lot better. And I have to say, having fitted Coilovers to A3's and Vw golf's these do seem a lot softer ride. I think after 200 miles, when they've settled down a bit would be a better gauge of there ride.

For the money, they seem good..

Thanks for all the replies so far.
I agree I probably would look at damper spring combo if I could afford it but the suspension is pretty old and creaking as I said and I thoughT about these coils based entirely on price!
If there is a spring damper or coils setup under 300£ that anyone can vouch for I'd probably go for them.

Thanks beachbuggy, how does it handle compared to your previous set up which I'm guessing was standard?
Does it go anywhere to fixing the boat feeling or provide anymore feedback through the car?
Glad to hear they aren't too hard, not a massive concern if the car handles well but I think after a while such a hard ride would become an issue!

Only having done a few miles I don't think I'm that experienced to say how good they really are, however they are definately a harder ride than stock dampers and certainly stiffens up the boat handling it didn't seem to whallow round the corners like before, but then I did have a broken spring!

So far can't complain.

I've been told that the eibach springs on the gmbh lower shocks is ment to be a nice setup/improvement, these are the shocks fitted to s line tt/ facelift 225 tt/S3 fitted with 18's from the factory. I'm lead to believe that a few tt owners go down this route.

I ordered these a couple of days ago, when I fit them il give my feedback on them.

A few of TT and SCN are running these coilies and not had one bad review from them and a few of my mates are running budget coilies and they feel very good too ride and handling wise so I thought these are worth a try.

Nathan

I ordered these a couple of days ago, when I fit them il give my feedback on them.

A few of TT and SCN are running these coilies and not had one bad review from them and a few of my mates are running budget coilies and they feel very good too ride and handling wise so I thought these are worth a try.

Nathan

Good work. Let me know what you think.

I bought FK coilovers for my Clio at a cost of £450. Safe to say, I would never buy any suspension parts from them again. Awful, awful ride quality. If you want looks, buy away. But for anything else they are shocking.

Awesome GTI also shivered when I said the word "FK".

Stop Lion around and get on with the S3 ;)

:yes:

Good work there dude, a great choice of Lion King quote.

high-five.jpg

I've been told that the eibach springs on the gmbh lower shocks is ment to be a nice setup/improvement, these are the shocks fitted to s line tt/ facelift 225 tt/S3 fitted with 18's from the factory. I'm lead to believe that a few tt owners go down this route.

This is what I should have soon.
R32 ARBs to top it off.

Ive ordered a set from venom motorsport myself
(18th dec)
still not here! They apparently got lost in the post and i am now waiting for fk to send them some more!

Ps yes ive heard many horror stories about leaking shocks. But i still went for fk over JOM.

FK, mmm....

If i was lowering the car by 30mm i would have a 4 wheel realighnment if you can. I have HnR springs which lower 25 mm and I had mine realligned. Just had an MOT and they say that the inside of the fronts are wearing. Probably my fault for having the realignment done the day after i had the suspension fittied, should have let it settle. But it goes to show that a realignment is advisable

Thanks for the info guys!
Seems its a bit of an unexplored area on the S3.
I think i may give these a go as a temporary solution, any more info from any of the guys having them fitted is more than welcome while i assess the options :)

Ok, so been driving mine for 3 days now. Fronts are great. Rears no so good. Having originally set them to a 1cm gap between arch and tyre they have now settled to an least 1inch below the arch! Also the springs on the rear look almost totally compressed! There is very little gap between any of the coils and you can hear a slight clunk going over bumps which almost certainly the coils hitting each other. I'm not sure if this will be sorted when I adjust them again to get the 1cm back but it looks like the springs aren't really up to the job! On a plus side they have stiffened up the car and it does corner a lot better.

My main concern is the lack of spring travel which could result in wheel skipping and making it unstable but we'll see. Personally I don't think the rear springs are strong enough and up to the job! But am I suprised for £220?!

Thanks for the write up beachbuggy, sounds pretty interesting and kinda what I expected.
I know sometimes suspension takes a while to settle down to it's standard height especially adjustable ones.
If you could let me know how it behaves once you have it adjusted (hopefully it won't do the same thing!)
Last thing you want it a twitchy car!

Thanks again!

My set arrived today and the quality looks good. The rear springs are a bit small, will have to see how it all fits together when I decide to fit them, hopefully on the weekend. the set comes with shorted drop links also.

In the link posted in the first post, you will see a few TT guys who run theses have the same problem with the rear springs being very compressed but havent commented on it effecting the car but will find out for myself soon.

P1010079.jpg

Once ive fitted them il give my feedback on them ride and handling wise.

Great thanks nattie!
Looks good from the picture! Itching to find out the effect of the rear setup, as you say few people have commented on the compression but not the effects!
Good luck fitting them!

So I adjusted my rear springs today to get the 1cm gap I wanted. I basically had to wind the adjuster all the way out to get the ride hode correct. I am running 18's so if these where 17's it wouldn't be as bad.

Have to say the driving isn't much improved and as you said in the last post the springs look really compressed with only 1 or 2 coils actually free.

I am wondering if I should have taken the plastic pipe off the springs as shown in your picture. I thought they where there as packing protection but wondering now if they where there to stop the knocking you get when the coils hit each other as you go over bumps!

You do have to undo the top damper bolt to adjust the spring as there is too much compression in the spring to adjust them manually.

I think I'll need to do a few more miles to give a better opinion of them however I can say though they are amazing when the car's stationary, a perfect ride..

Well it certainly looks ok for the money, it does not matter if you raise it up it will still be compressed but higher, if you get a couple of years out of them you will be nothing out....:icon_thumright:

I was going to take the protective cover off the springs but think I will leave them in now lol. Im not going to deck them when I put them on as Im going for more performance/handling than looks. Would love to setup the static weight distribution of the car in uni but havent got the time.

I changed my tyre side for a smaller side wall on the weekend and can tell a difference straight away. Turn in is sharper and crisp and cant feel any flex in the tyres now and they aint even bedded in.

Il be monitoring how the coilies are looking in a few months to see how the quality is holding up and if they look rusted up or dodgy il send them back but sure they will be fine.

Ok, I've also taken the plunge and ordered a set of these so ill hopefully have some comments to provide vs tired standard suspension soon!
Even phoned the insurance company and they said itll cost me £25 to add the mod to my car! win!!

Anyway i am planning on getting poly bushes as well in a couple of months, possibly arbs and adjustable tie bars.
I was going to fit the coilovers myself as found a good guide and it looks pretty straight forward!

was wondering whether its better to wait and do the whole lot together when i have it all or just to slap the coils on now and the rest as i get it?
Fitting cost not really an issue as i can get it all done virtually free any way, will the old bushes and suspension components etc be alright with new coils which will be much tighter etc?

Any advice appreciated :)

I was going to order R32 ARB's to put on the same time but im going to put the coilies on first and see how to car handles then, might feel they are not needed once the coilies are on and settled.

Im just changing the top mount bushes and thats it when i decide to fit them. What guide have you got, any links.

Ok i might do the same then let the coils settle then bushes etc when funds allow :)
Original top mounts be ok or you reckon changing them will make a big difference? If so any links where to get them cheap?

As for the guide, link below is from a MK4 golf, think itll be the same process but is a really good detailed guide!

Noah's MkIV VW H&R Coilover Installation HOWTO

i bet you fit it the same night it turns up! sod waiting :)

Haha yer im pretty excited about them! The car is such a boat now so being able to go round a corner and not having people sliding around the car so much will be nice :-D

haha, I seen a set of these on ebay last night, Im a bit dubious as iv ready storeys of the damper exploding after 12 months, covering the guys tyre in fluid etc. I would like the adjustability so also been considering weitec gt's, which are apparently fairly good for the moneys. But I already have lowering springs so maybe worth going down the bilstein route, as they are quality dampers. Either way I need new dampers or something else I will end up with spinal problems on my standard suspension

I have cheap ebay coilovers on my scirocco and the build quality is very high. The ride is amazingly hard though and have no damper adjuster. I think this is why they are the price they are. They are the tesco value coilovers. They are fine and work, but are not as good as the tesco best range. Just my opinion. They do improve handling and totally remove the boat effect. They just lack adjustablility.

I bet if you looked, a lot of people use them and are very pleased with them. I think if we could afford to go out and spend more on fully adjustable kit we all would. It just depends on your budget.

I say go for it. What i have worked out is the coilovers are the cheap bit, after you pay for tie rod things, drop links and 4 wheel allignment you've spent another £300!

i purchased these fk coilovers and fitted them last weekend at my freinds garage. i had to buy adj drop links and at the same time bought supersport top mounts as my ones were foobared.

its adjusted so its low. tyre tuck on stock wheels so i would say its a goof 80mm at least the backs are wound all the way down. the front can go another 20mm or so. of course the ride is very firm but thats how i wanted it. the quality isnt bad to be honest ive seen worse. and for the money they seem pretty good. im happy with them.

jdas03 - Im going to replace the bushes with standard ones whiles its all apart.

Steve - I agree with what your saying, Been in 2 cars with ebay coilies although different to what I have just bought, still budget ones and they felt fine to me. When in a 8P S3 with H & R monotube coilies I think thats the name, and in terms of how the car feels on the road, not a great difference with the budget ones but cost about 3 times more. You pay alot more for comfort really as even if you have fully adjustable suspensions, most people dont bother adjusting anything once its fitted which makes no point in buying them other than bragging rights maybe lol. If I could afford fully adjustable suspension I would buy some as I would take advantage of the adjustments that can be made.

Last edited:
Had my coilies on for a few days now and everything is fine. The fitment of them is really good, everything when on straight forward. The ride is ok for coilies and once settled down, should be even better. Will upload some pics soon

They go really low front and back. I put the front down to about 40mm thread left and with my low pro tyres the car was scrapping everywhere, the backs was wound right down and everything fine there. I have up the car on the front so the wishbones are parallel now with about 1 inch between wheel and arch. Going to do the same on the rears on the weekend, im going for performance over looks. The handling of the car has improved massively, turn in is alot quicker and sharper and it holds its lines alot better.

Thanks for the write up Nattie.
I have mine but havent got them on yet! will hopefully do so soon!
Worried about the scraping i have the LCR splitter on so itll be even worse! lol
Guessing that set up you have puts you about 50mm drop from standard? expect there wont be scraping if they wound as high as they can go!
Good to hear the performance is upped! really looking forward to putting these on now!

Are you running 18 from looking at your pic, so your already a inch higher than mine and I have some low profile tyres too so if your running 225,45,18 then your even higher so you prob wont get any scrapping.

You could prob run yours very low and not have scrapping due to your wheels and tyres helping you lift the ride height up. Ye, mines possibly around 50mm lower, set the coilover in the middle of the travel and rides nice and looks nice.

Before you install them i would set the ride height to the middle of the coilover and let them bed in, then lower or higher once they have settled.

Yer i got the 18s on mine.
Thats good to hear, when they are bedded in ill probably have them set as high as possible to make the ride a bit softer, dont want a massively hard ride!
Have you got any pics of your car with the coils on? wanted to see the kinda height your running at :)

This is what my car looked like when I first installed the coilies (mobile phone quality sorry lol). The front is about 30-40mm from the bottom of the coilover travel and the rear is fully down. The rear is a lot lower than it looks in the pic. The front and back is now higher but still looks nice.

30012011011-2-1.jpg

Il take some better ones on my camera soon and at the new ride height.

Will the rolling radius not be the same regardless of 17s or 18s?
The difference in height would be 1/2" at most anyway. 1" difference diameter, 1/2" difference in radius.