High pitched squealing on cold startup

SiGainey

Reaction score
Howdo, anyone ever had a very high pitched squealing when they start their S3? It's like a slipping drive belt but it only lasts a second and then goes for the day, and it's also higher pitched. Car is garaged overnight so it's not as likely to be condensation on a pulley...

Howdo, anyone ever had a very high pitched squealing when they start their S3? It's like a slipping drive belt but it only lasts a second and then goes for the day, and it's also higher pitched. Car is garaged overnight so it's not as likely to be condensation on a pulley...

Check the serpentine aux belt for wear, and check the timing belt for wear mark would be my first place to start.

Also may be worth spraying WD40 onto the aux belt and the aux belt tensioner pulley before first start to see if it alters the noise at all.

As Welly says.

Spray WD40 on the aux belt and pulley, should temporarily fix the problem, if it does then it's a new belt and possibly pulley.

Could also be starter motor sticking slightly most vag 1.8t's suffer at sometime

Last edited:
Timing belt was done not 6 months ago but i'll check it anyhow :) Could be the tensioner - the belt looks pretty new but they are only about a tenner so I'll chuck a new one on I think :)

The alternator looks to have been replaced recently, so I doubt it's going to be that but it could be the air con compressor...

Last edited:
I started getting a squeel on start up on my S3 too. I think it is one of the belts this time, mine only happens if the aircon is on. I used to have a dodgy starter motor on my old A3 1.8T which also made a squeel bit it wasnt so high pitched, more of a torquey squeel if you get me, as the engine was doing work against the eletric starter motor, there was also the mechanical sound of slipping too.

Could also be starter motor sticking slightly most vag 1.8t's suffer at sometime

Yeah, starter motor sticking is a squealy sound, but also mechanical. Normally happens every start though as it is caused by the solenoid sticking on, as opposed to just first start. Damn crappy VAG starters...

I've had this with the starter before, extremely loud noise, to the point it would make people jump if they were anywhere near my car when I started it :laugh:

Try WD40 as suggested above but otherwise is probably the starter sticking.

Does it do it if you have your aircon switched off?

I will check with the aircon off too - it starts about a second after the engine fires so it could be the starter motor disengaging...

I get it sometimes when I start the engine with the aircon on!!

Sounds like your a/c fan is seizing.
Mine has done this too.
Replaced both of mine and the noise is cured.

(i have a good - small fan here if anyone requires it)

Yeah, its air con related :( started the car with the air con off, no noise. Drive for a minute, switch on the air con and the noise is there.
Thanks for the advice all :)

Could be a pulley wheel. I had this on my BMW 520D a few months ago.

I've had this with the starter before, extremely loud noise, to the point it would make people jump if they were anywhere near my car when I started it :laugh:

Try WD40 as suggested above but otherwise is probably the starter sticking.

My wifes A3 1.8 T has also started squeeling upon start-up just for a second, it does sound Starter Motor related to me.

DC

My wifes A3 1.8 T has also started squeeling upon start-up just for a second, it does sound Starter Motor related to me.

DC
Yeah, its air con related :( started the car with the air con off, no noise. Drive for a minute, switch on the air con and the noise is there.
Thanks for the advice all :)

Sounds aircon related to me

its the starter motor.
comon problem on our engines.

check vortex =)