Is it best to have wheels powder coated or sand blasted and sprayed?

jack.s

Reaction score
Previosly had them just sprayed gloss black and its chipping :( so want to get it done properly this time! What's the best way?

sand blasting or stripping will have to be done before both.
only downsides to powdercoating is colour choice, but the finish can be superb, and very hard wearing.
im currently spraying some wheels as its cheaper, plus i wanted to give a go at refurbing. and i can choose whatever colour i want

best would be sand blasted and powder coated
as superkarl says, hard to find great colors for powder coating, more expensive, but definite more scratch resistent and no pilling off

Last edited:
thanks mate! i'll make a thread with my car to post more info about it.
u can check your messages for some pics :)

I'm confused lol there seems to be two opinions that powder coating is hard wearing and chips easily? Would it therefore be better to get them sand blasted and sprayed?

I'm confused lol there seems to be two opinions that powder coating is hard wearing and chips easily? Would it therefore be better to get them sand blasted and sprayed?
Lol Yes it is hard wearing but is brittle, so as long as you are steady you will be ok, mine chipped when i got my alignment done by a monkey who put the alignment tools on the wheels.....

i have found through seeing the finish, powder tends to be more matt and spray is more glossy, depends what finish your after...regards hardness, i think the brittle comment is right, although i seem to think the powder holds up better to corrosion if you manage to keep it 'unbroken'

Spot on about it being brittle when knocked
Also if the wheels are made of magnesium you shouldn't powder coat them
The baking heat once powdered warps and takes the strength out of the wheel
But if they are just a cast alloy powder all the way if you can get it done cheap enough
But to be honest if like most people who play about with cars they change wheels and wheel colours all the time
So paint may be the way hope this helps anyone.:w00t:

Ahh ok I get the picture now lol am I right in thinking that sand blasting before spraying does something to the static charge, therefore helping the paint to stick? This is what I have heard.