Sky InsuranceEM Tuning

Thread: Faulty Stat?

1st Gear

Status

Faulty Stat?

Hi guys, just looking for confirmation more than anything really. My temp gauge is showing what I believe to be a "faulty reading". I suspect a stat issue is to blame (the sender was replaced earlier in the year). Basically, the car starts to warm up fine and the needle starts to rise but then it just kind of stops at around 80, rather than 90. It then proceeds to go up and down between 70 and 90 depending on how hard I'm driving it as opposed to sticking to 90 like glue as it's always done before. Also, my mpg seems to be a little... rubbish... at the moment...

I'm aware this is almost typical stat behaviour, but I find it a little strange as most stat issues don't manifest with a temp of hovering around 80. What do you reckon?

MAF was replaced in November as well, so I doubt it's that!
    2001 (Y) Audi S3 AMK | Forge 007p | H&R ARBs | Powerflex Bushes All Round | Badger5 3" TIP & Jetex JR Filter | R-Tech Stage 1 Map | Brembo 4-Pot Callipers (Monoblock from Clio 197) with Ferodo DS2500 & EBC Ultimax Discs | N249 Bypass | Milltek Cat Back Non-Res Special Tips

2. # ADS
    ADS

Howdy

Status
    I have the exact same symptoms.
    I took it to my usual garage for them to replace the 'stat and they said there was nowt wrong with it. (?)
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    It does sound like the stat, so thats where i'd be going first.

If that doesnt cure it, then change the CTS.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    Stat for me as well. Typical symptoms.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    It does sound like the stat, so thats where i'd be going first.

If that doesnt cure it, then change the CTS.
    OK, but... what's the CTS?
    2001 (Y) Audi S3 AMK | Forge 007p | H&R ARBs | Powerflex Bushes All Round | Badger5 3" TIP & Jetex JR Filter | R-Tech Stage 1 Map | Brembo 4-Pot Callipers (Monoblock from Clio 197) with Ferodo DS2500 & EBC Ultimax Discs | N249 Bypass | Milltek Cat Back Non-Res Special Tips

6th Gear

Status
    coolant temperature sender

1st Gear

Status
    Ahh, yes, as I said, that got replaced within the last year already.

I'm going to throw some new info into the mix. Decided for a giggle to run a fault code check. How does the following grab you:

17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)

16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

16712 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61): Signal too High

*gulp*

Any ideas? I'm only guessing but I would imagine this explains why the car goes into a kind of limp mode every now and then (nothing shows on the dash, the turbo just doesn't spool very much)!

For reference, the DV has had the yellow spring installed, so I wonder if that has something to do with DV code?

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    change the temp sender first as its only 8 then do the stat after

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadders View Post
    17705 - Pressure Drop between Turbo and Throttle Valve (check D.V.!)
    Boost leak is the likely one here. But as it says, check the DV! Go round your main boost pipes to check for leaks.

16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
    Normally attributed to the Cam Position Sensor/Hall Effect sensor/whatever you want to call it (N205). It's on the left hand side of the head here:

This is easy to change (2 x 10mm I think), not sure how much they are though. Part number IIRC 058 905 161 B.

Ross Tech Wiki also says that the fuel pump relay J17 could be faulty, and this has been seen before.

16712 - Knock Sensor 1 (G61): Signal too High
    Most likely the sensor in that position, KS1 will be the one on the left, has either a wiring issue, or is shafted. Check the wiring first, then if needs be change the sensor. Make sure it's done up to the right torque....

Also, see these:

17705/P1297/004759 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16395/P0011/000017 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16712/P0328/000808 - Ross-Tech Wiki
    Last edited by Welly; 5th January 2011 at 13:37.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Homer Simpson

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    change the temp sender first as its only 8 then do the stat after
    The temp sensor is about 35quid from audi, the stat is about 20.

I wouldnt bother fitting a cheap knockoff sensor, as its likely to be less accurate than the broken one you've removed.

Plus if you read the thread, hes already changed the sensor.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Welly View Post
    Boost leak is the likely one here. But as it says, check the DV! Go round your main boost pipes to check for leaks.

Normally attributed to the Cam Position Sensor/Hall Effect sensor/whatever you want to call it (N205). It's on the left hand side of the head here:

This is easy to change (2 x 10mm I think), not sure how much they are though. Part number IIRC 058 905 161 B.

Ross Tech Wiki also says that the fuel pump relay J17 could be faulty, and this has been seen before.

Most likely the sensor in that position, KS1 will be the one on the left, has either a wiring issue, or is shafted. Check the wiring first, then if needs be change the sensor. Make sure it's done up to the right torque....

Also, see these:

17705/P1297/004759 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16395/P0011/000017 - Ross-Tech Wiki

16712/P0328/000808 - Ross-Tech Wiki
    Do you really think I could have 4 distinct problems at the same time (including the stat?)? That would be most unfortunate and likely crippling to the bank balance... again... I'll go have a look in the engine bay and see what I can see...

Status
    Do you really think I could have 4 distinct problems at the same time (including the stat?)? That would be most unfortunate and likely crippling to the bank balance... again... I'll go have a look in the engine bay and see what I can see...
    It's an Audi. I do indeed think that you can have 4 problems at once....
    Homer Simpson

1st Gear

Status
    I think I'm going to simply clear those codes and see if they re-appear. If they all appear at once, then I'm going with it being a single problem. I'm quickly beginning to feel a little out of depth with checking all these different things. A good example, is not knowing what a knock sensor is, let alone where it is and how it works. Might be a trip to the garage with a blank cheque...