EM TuningVolks Autos
    5th Gear

Status

my esp light wont turn off

hi does anyone no how i can get my esp to turn off its been on for a week now and wont turn off checked fuses thats about it tar for any help

gaz
    350bhp & 316ftlb BBT new k16 7+7 blade hybrid turbo, Welly cooler, jetex filter, relentless ported v3 manifold 3" downpipe & de-cat, liquid gauge, r32 rear arb, AGU ported and polished Head, 550cc injectors, kw v2 Coilovers, s3dave tie bars & heat sheild, milltek cat back, I.E forged rods, brembos, inline fuel pump, v3 badger 5 tip, devils own WMI kit, AGU pistons, rear grooved discs & brembo pads, ds2500 pads & EBC ultimax disc, stack boost gauge

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Get it scanned for faults. Could be one of many sensors faulty.

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

Wana go Low gotta go Slow

Status
    1. Steering angle sensor
    2. Lateral Acceleration Sensor
    3. Longitudinal Acceleration sensor

Its one of them! Expensive fix

1st Gear

Status
    mine was the steer angle sensor , sometimes called the clock spring not cheap 200 plus vat from audi and you need vagcom to set it up hope your luck is better than mine

Rob

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gavin89 View Post
    1. Steering angle sensor
    2. Lateral Acceleration Sensor
    3. Longitudinal Acceleration sensor

Its one of them! Expensive fix
    checked it on vag com nothing like that came up just brake light switch , purge valve , 4 lambda sensor faults thanks for help
    350bhp & 316ftlb BBT new k16 7+7 blade hybrid turbo, Welly cooler, jetex filter, relentless ported v3 manifold 3" downpipe & de-cat, liquid gauge, r32 rear arb, AGU ported and polished Head, 550cc injectors, kw v2 Coilovers, s3dave tie bars & heat sheild, milltek cat back, I.E forged rods, brembos, inline fuel pump, v3 badger 5 tip, devils own WMI kit, AGU pistons, rear grooved discs & brembo pads, ds2500 pads & EBC ultimax disc, stack boost gauge

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpy25 View Post
    mine was the steer angle sensor , sometimes called the clock spring not cheap 200 plus vat from audi and you need vagcom to set it up hope your luck is better than mine

Rob
    great not looking forward to this buy hopefully not any of them ha

3rd Gear

Status
    what system did you scan and what did you scan with as it looks like you just scanned the engine side?
    James
    Silver Audi 8L S3
    97 Fireblade fully restored ...just for summer!
    My old Corrado VR6 Turbo... Click me for the build DIY style!
    and many many cars and bikes in the past!!

Another S3 owner....

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3gazz View Post
    checked it on vag com nothing like that came up just brake light switch , purge valve , 4 lambda sensor faults thanks for help
    Isn't the the esp ultimately activated by the haldex ? If that is the case then the brake light switch is the only thing in your list of vagcom errors that sends a signal to the haldex, so it may be that.....possibly.

Indeed the other items listed by the others do also feed into the haldex too, but as you have not got any of those errors on vagcom then hopefully it is unlikely to be them. The bad news is this is not always the case especially if one of those sensors is sending the wrong signals, but does not think there is a fault or if there is a transient electrical problem which would not show up on vagcom.

I would start with the brake switch - simples.
    Last edited by thegoal007; 5th January 2011 at 09:03.
    02 plate - 2002 - 225bhp - S3 - Ming Blue - completely standard - nuff said, OK there's a centre armrest, sunroof, BOSE speakers & black leather recaros, oh and the non OE chrome pack !

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    hi does anyone no how i can get my esp to turn off its been on for a week now and wont turn off checked fuses thats about it tar for any help

gaz
    sure it isnt the actual button/switch on ur centre console

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiS3-Turbo View Post
    what system did you scan and what did you scan with as it looks like you just scanned the engine side?
    just scanned the engine and haldex side of this mate

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    sure it isnt the actual button/switch on ur centre console
    i dont think so pressed it so many time ill take it out tomoz and have a look

Wana go Low gotta go Slow

Status
    just scanned the engine and haldex side of this mate
    Erm thats not the right group for ESP!

You need to scan Group 3 (ABS Brakes), then post the faults...

3rd Gear

Status
    its not on there,do abs mate.
    James
    Silver Audi 8L S3
    97 Fireblade fully restored ...just for summer!
    My old Corrado VR6 Turbo... Click me for the build DIY style!
    and many many cars and bikes in the past!!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoal007 View Post
    Isn't the the esp ultimately activated by the haldex ? If that is the case then the brake light switch is the only thing in your list of vagcom errors that sends a signal to the haldex, so it may be that.....possibly.

Indeed the other items listed by the others do also feed into the haldex too, but as you have not got any of those errors on vagcom then hopefully it is unlikely to be them. The bad news is this is not always the case especially if one of those sensors is sending the wrong signals, but does not think there is a fault or if there is a transient electrical problem which would not show up on vagcom.
    I would start with the brake switch - simples.
    hi mate i had it on vag com again and these came up will they have owt to do with it got these faults 2

01314 engine control module
    18057 powertrain data bus missing message from abs controller

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AudiS3-Turbo View Post
    its not on there,do abs mate.
    done abs come up with these mate
    18057 powertrain data bus missing message from abs controller
    01314 engine control module

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Abs controller is under the airbox and battery, that area. Check all wiring and plugs to and from that and the ecu.

5th Gear

Status
    ye will do mate
    can u help on the othe one by any chance tar

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    ECM is the ecu I think. I would just check all electronics, plugs and wires. Corrosion and dirt can play havoc, I have similar problems and need to check abs module wires like you. I have intermittent no communications between the two

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    ECM is the ecu I think. I would just check all electronics, plugs and wires. Corrosion and dirt can play havoc, I have similar problems and need to check abs module wires like you. I have intermittent no communications between the two
    i no they just do my head in ill check all i can find and see mate willany of the other faults courz it if ya look at my other thead abit more down page
    starting with changed my lambda sensor cheers for any help mate

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    You've got alot the same as me.
    New egt sensor isn't cheap as I've recently learned. If your wantin to pass an mot you need that and your lambdas sortin, make sure you replace right one though there is 2 if you have a facelift car.

5th Gear

Status
    whats the etg mate and where is it tar

iv learnt there are 2 lol changed the wrong one yesterday how much are the other ones mate

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Egt is plugged into the turbo housing.
    2nd lambda is on the downpipe right at the top.
    Tufty said the egt is around 180 quid. Not sure on lambda probes

5th Gear

Status
    ryt sound mate can u get to it from top of engine

take it that lambda will be same price as well then cheers

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    ryt sound mate can u get to it from top of engine

take it that lambda will be same price as well then cheers
    If you mean is it the same price as the post CAT one then that depends if its wideband or not... if your S3 is AMK or BAM engine code then its a widebande lambda on top and are 80 and upwards depending where you get one from... GSF sell Bosch sensors and you should only get a Bosch one especially if its a wideband one... dealer prices are around 120 IIRC...

Only difference between the GSF version and the OEM version is the GSF version has a longer cable (more generic fitment) and doesn't have the heat shroud for the lead... I used a GSF one and cut the heat shroud off the old one and wire wrapped it to the new one..

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tufftybloke View Post
    If you mean is it the same price as the post CAT one then that depends if its wideband or not... if your S3 is AMK or BAM engine code then its a widebande lambda on top and are 80 and upwards depending where you get one from... GSF sell Bosch sensors and you should only get a Bosch one especially if its a wideband one... dealer prices are around 120 IIRC...

Only difference between the GSF version and the OEM version is the GSF version has a longer cable (more generic fitment) and doesn't have the heat shroud for the lead... I used a GSF one and cut the heat shroud off the old one and wire wrapped it to the new one..

<tuffty/>
    thanks tuffty great help ill be going gfs tomoz then for it how hard are they to fit mate and im getting it de cated wed so hopfully will run ok
    in need or brake light switch as well cos im getting fault from that even tho brake lights are working

cheers

Neutral

Status
    Mine was an ABS sensor

5th Gear

Status
    how much was that mate if ya dont mind me asking tar

5th Gear

Status
    how do i get my traction control light to turn off can anyone help tar

Neutral

Status
    The part was about 50 quid I think. It also stopped my quattro from working so get it sorted ASAP

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lee111s View Post
    The part was about 50 quid I think. It also stopped my quattro from working so get it sorted ASAP
    cheers where from mate and wont the traction control light go out when change brake
    switch as i been told they have the sensors for that in them

Neutral

Status
    There are many sensors that provide the same issue in terms of the ESP light not going out. In my case it wasn't on when I started the car and only illuminated once I went above 20km/h, if I drove below this speed the ESP light stayed unlit.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by lee111s View Post
    There are many sensors that provide the same issue in terms of the ESP light not going out. In my case it wasn't on when I started the car and only illuminated once I went above 20km/h, if I drove below this speed the ESP light stayed unlit.
    mine constentlly mate

Neutral

Status
    Take it to an audi specialist and have them check it out. Where are you based?

5th Gear

Status
    in bradford mate
    got a vag com mechine to use so no point going to audi realy