VERY BAD FUEL CONSUMPTION!....HELP!!!!

adzy

Reaction score
Hi guys ive got an BAM s3 which has an unknown remap on it of about 265 bhp with a piper cross induction kit. The car still had bad mpg before i put the filter on it but to be honest that hasnt helped.
All i can seem to get out of the car is between 22 to 23 MPG and is costing me an absolute fortune to the point i might have to sell the car which i really dont want to do:sadlike:

Also sometimes when the car is cold and i start my journey in the morning i put my foot down and its almost as if the car has forgotton it has been chipped and runs really slow, to sort it out i have to turn the car off and on again and then it is fine.

Are these problembs related?? i love my S3 and really dont want to get rid of it!!!!

Please please help .....somebody!!

Does this holding back seem to happen when the frost symbol is on the dash?
You turn the car off once and everything is fine?

Realisticaly you need to use something like VAG COM to scan the car for faults and maybe log what the car is upto fuel wise.
Does the temp gauge reach 90 degree ?

yeah the holding back is always when its a very cold morning and once i turn the car off everything is fine. as for the temp it always sits bang on half way and never moves once it is up to temperature.

i got just about 30mpg on a longish mixed stretch in my 1.8tq: i can imagine the severe cold weather could hold things back for u. i did have a bit of trouble with lower then expected mpg (26ish) until a few weeks ago, when i changed my coolant temp sender, thermostat and maf sensor in the space of a week. not sure which one actually fixed the issue, but perhaps unplugging ur maf and going for a quick spin will eliminate that issue for u.

cheers mate!

so what ur saying is if the mpg remains the same after i unplug it i know the maf is shagged??

if you unplug the maf, the air flow will go to a default setting: i think the proof in ur pudding is going to be the power being available straight away. give it a go mate, nothing to lose :)

does your car evrt get up to 90 degrees & stay there?

when was your last service including plugs change?

do you have a bumpy idle?

I have had the same holding back issue on very cold ( below 5 degree ) mornings,
It was said to be down to the map ,
I have no proof either way as to what the final problem was but i know the garage had to check every connection to sensors and the wires to them,
I think the idea of the car holding back boost was ment as a safety measure, But is ment to deactivate once the car reachs temperature,
This is all my opinion and may be wide of the mark, I would try and find out what map your car has. IF its a custom code one i would contact them and simply ask if there has been a problem?

Thanks for the info Paul! as regards to my temp gauge it always gets to 90 and stays there..... doesn't move up or down at all! not one bit until i turn the car off whether that is normal or not i dont know and my idling is a tiny bit lumpy. could these be signs for anything thats causing my S3 to be giving me20-23 mpg????

Thanks for the info Paul! as regards to my temp gauge it always gets to 90 and stays there..... doesn't move up or down at all! not one bit until i turn the car off whether that is normal or not i dont know and my idling is a tiny bit lumpy. could these be signs for anything thats causing my S3 to be giving me20-23 mpg????

Where are you based ?
I realy would say you need the checking with vag com to rule out anything simple

could be a split hose somewhere? had similar problems and it was that or as said before maf sensor.

tom

What is that ment to be?
Spam?

I dont think the holding back when cold is down to a failing part.
As i dont think turning the ignition off then back on once would sort it.

Thanks for all your advice lads...

I think I'm gona change the air mass meter stat and temp sender switch and c if that sorts the **** mpg out as for the map I tried running it up to 90 this morning while it was holding back to c if it cleared it but no joy. It will b spring time soon and won't have to worry about it then lol il save up for a custom code or something like that!?