Had the cambelt and waterpump changed for the first time at 97,000 miles...

ptr

Reaction score
Previous owner never had it done so as soon as I had the funds got both changed, this is what is left of the factory pump, about a quarter of the impeller :ohmy:

It still ran fine though, no overheating issues in summer and temp always sat at 90 or below. Replaced with a metal impeller water pump so shouldn't have any issues in the future.

img0260sn.jpg

img0262xl.jpg

its nice feeling afterwards piece of mind. i had mine done at blackburn Audi, 622 pounds, timing belt water pump, major servive, new wipers front and back, oil and filter haldex service also not a bad price i thought.

very lucky

Just amazed that it ran fine like that, no overheating issues at all. Although I suppose it was only a matter of time before the last bit broke away and the temps went through the roof!

lovely pic, should be a sticky for the dangers of not having your water pump changed!
Cheers, took quite a few pics to make sure I did the damage justice :happy:

Mine was like this when I pulled it out the remaining bit just disintergrated, I would change your thermostat as mine got wedged open with plastic!

Just after I had the cambelt done I had a wee crash and needed a new radiator, ever since the temp takes longer to reach 90 and sometimes just sits at 80, not sure if it's the new waterpump or rad thats made the change but do you think it could be the thermostat?

Just after I had the cambelt done I had a wee crash and needed a new radiator, ever since the temp takes longer to reach 90 and sometimes just sits at 80, not sure if it's the new waterpump or rad thats made the change but do you think it could be the thermostat?

it could be the CTS

Coolant Temp Sensor? :think:

Either way a new one is only a tenner from GSF so well worth replacing just incase.

When I did my cam belt and pump I think I actually broke the pump removing it, its quite tight and if you don`t extract it squarely then Im sure it just breaks.

My money's on the stat, mine was exactly the same, changed the stat now sits at 90 after 10 minutes and doesnt move at all. IIRC a tell tale of the CTS is a difference between the dash temp display and actual temp display shown on the heater controls and or fluctuating temp on the dash gauge.

IIRC a tell tale of the CTS is a difference between the dash temp display and actual temp display shown on the heater controls and or fluctuating temp on the dash gauge.
Cheers, just googled how to do that climate control trick and will try it next time I drive it.

Also noticed yesterday the dreaded mayonnaise under the oil filler cap, praying it's just condensation and not the head gasket going. :crying:

Sounds like the thermostat to me....

That's not typical symptoms of a CTS problem. Thermostat will generally cause temp to hang lower than 90 degrees. Does it get up to temp when left to sit?

That's the acid test of this, if you can start it on the drive and leave it, and the temp climbs to operating temp as normal, then your stat is staying open for too long...