Sky InsuranceMonster Motorsport
    6th Gear

Status

My not so mighty Brembos...

Ive put up with the problems im having for a while now , Changing things as ive gone...
    The problem is that after a short spirited drive say maybe 4 hardish press's on the brakes they are shot.
    The pedal goes slightly softer and the car just doesnt shed speed. a couple of times ive had to go for gaps i would never try by choice!
    Im using the Brembo GT jnr kit , it was fitted to the car when i bought it, Since then ive changed the discs ( i tried both ones from Badger 5 and CRN ) ive tried Stock Mintex pads, EBC red stuff and now Ferrodo DS2500,
    Ive also had a full fluid change to ATE super racing blue.
    Once bedded in they always end up the same,
    The rear has CRN groved discs and Audi stock pads,
    I dont drive "balls out" but it will stop great first press and if left after a big "moment" the bite is back and all is well for another few stops.

Im about half way through the current set ups life but i am ready to change things as brakes are cheaper than a new front end !
    Any ideas people???
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Sounds like you are getting something on the disc's, maybe a few spirited stops is enough to near boil the fluid and its getting past the seal onto the disc's where after a while it drys off.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Very surprising Paul, I've taken my S3 out on the track with my Brembo's fitted and have never once experienced poor braking or even fade. I managed to warp a pair of brake disks at Rockingham circuit, which is classed as a 'braking' circuit, but that was because my brother In law didn't know he was suppose to do a cool down lap on his inlap.
    Admittedly, it's continuous heavy braking into corners, not braking from silly speeds, but still quite a lot of stomping.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I'll swap them for my 312mm S3 brakes paul! I'll even drive to you and do the swap if you like

I'd say it must be down to pads. EBC as we all know are a joke brand. DS2500's are fairly good for road use, but in track use they tend to break down and leave deposits on the disc surfacing causing judder, which people often mistake for a warped disc.

If you're serious about brakes, and want something REALLY good, try some Pagid RS29 pads. they're just about the most amazing pads I've ever experienced. I'm currently running the older RS19's in my brembo calipers, and they're awesome too.

What fluid are you running?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    What fluid are you running?
    Quote Originally Posted by S3 Paul View Post
    Ive also had a full fluid change to ATE super racing blue.

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

Status
    I have a similar problem with my Brembos apart from the pedal stays hard but doesn't stop the car!
    JAFFASPORT - 2001 Facelift, 218/237/216bhp AMK, Absolute Red, Thrashed to Death, Car Park Dents Everywhere, Kei Flux's, Knackered Shocks, Scuffed Rear Bumper and in need of a good Hoover!!

BLACK EVO BEATER -2001 Facelift, 349bhp AMK, Ebony Black, Blue Seats, 4 Wheels, Brakes, Exhaust, Headlights, Sh!t loads of boost and up for sale!

RGV 250N - Bloody fast and loads of fun........I get wet a lot when it rains....

RIP S3dave

Status
    ds3000's for S3's driven hard - softer pedal sounds more fluid to me... too hot..
    Motul RBF660 is what I use.. very high dry boil temp
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

6th Gear

Status
    Hi Bill.
    I tryed that fluid ( i had it sat around as i never got round to putting it in my vr6 )
    I bought it from you,
    The same feeling has been there with every set up.
    I realy dont have faith in them, Even when on the road rather than track, It doesnt take for a massive "rag" to kill them. They will always pass an MOT as one press will make the car near do an endover ! but driven for a while and a few down hill stops from say 70 are enough to kill them,
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

I ask questions because i change my mind so much. If i ask questions you have already covered... just leave it be?

S3 Drift King!

Status
    They will always pass an MOT as one press will make the car near do an endover ! but driven for a while and a few down hill stops from say 70 are enough to kill them,
    Ha, the guy that MOT'd my S3 said 'good brakes good brakes...'

I'm pretty sure I'm stopping from a higher speed than 70mph out on track, but not down hill, and still carrying speed to go round a corner. Needs to be checked out!

6th Gear

Status
    Im planning on fitting s4 rear discs ( more for looks than anythingelse ) and changing the front pads or maybe discs and pads soon, Yet another change of fluid too.
    But if its hard wear at fault... im wasting money time and time again
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Im planning on fitting s4 rear discs ( more for looks than anythingelse ) and changing the front pads or maybe discs and pads soon, Yet another change of fluid too.
    But if its hard wear at fault... im wasting money time and time again
    I'm running ECS stage1 rears(308mm) Paul, makes quite a difference over the standard rears, but I never had these fitted for Rockingham. Definitely worth the upgrade if you like your heavy braking.

6th Gear

Status
    People will slate me for adding weight... but its an S3 after all not a F1 car.
    Im hoping to change wheels to lighter items so will counter the increase.
    Is there any real way of testing my brakes under load ?
    Other than handing the keys to some spanner monkey at charlie browns ?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

1st gear

Status
    jojo - what you running at the front and does it brake correctly still without the rear over brakeing
    09 white black edition a3 2.0 tdi 😃
    99 silver apy s3 - revo stage 2 mapped - relentless downpipe + sports cat - cat back milltek - fmic - piper x panel filter - silicone tip - forge 007 - vmaxx coilys - andy mac stealth sub - wilwood 4pots and r32 discs - h &r spacers - bbs ch wheels or std gunmetal grey alloys

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mpathe View Post
    jojo - what you running at the front and does it brake correctly still without the rear over brakeing
    Brembo GT kit up front, I've not experience brake inbalance, but them I'm running 19" rims with wider 235 tyres, which grip very well anyways.

@Paul, lighter wheels make a huge difference mate, the BBS RC's I'm currently running are quite a bit lighter than my 19" Porsche reps I have, I can feel the difference in turnin and pick up.

RIP S3dave

Status
    Hi Bill.
    I tryed that fluid ( i had it sat around as i never got round to putting it in my vr6 )
    I bought it from you,
    The same feeling has been there with every set up.
    I realy dont have faith in them, Even when on the road rather than track, It doesnt take for a massive "rag" to kill them. They will always pass an MOT as one press will make the car near do an endover ! but driven for a while and a few down hill stops from say 70 are enough to kill them,
    thats not normal for these at all
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

6th Gear

Status
    Somebody mentioned i should...
    1 change the master cylinder ( audi say every 3 years or something )
    2 only use brembo drilled discs.

The brembo discs are expensive at around 300 ( expensive if nothing changes i mean )
    If i had a problem with my master cylinder wouldnt i feel it in daily driving or on the few good stops i get from speed?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

6th Gear

Status
    Master cylinder every three years?

6th Gear

Status
    Ye, that was my reply,
    My car was serviced by audi up until i bought it so was around 5 years old and shows nothing in the service book about this ever being done. I have never heard it mentioned on here either...
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    really Paul, it just must be pads mate. it has to be.

If you've had the discs from Bill, everyone else uses them without trouble. you've got decent fluid, what on earth is happening?

Could it be that the brakes are binding and some how overheating the pads before you're even braking?

I just don't see how they can be so bad it makes no sense. Something MUST be up with it.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    Ye, that was my reply,
    My car was serviced by audi up until i bought it so was around 5 years old and shows nothing in the service book about this ever being done. I have never heard it mentioned on here either...
    lol, well the cylinder is 150 quid so not extortionate

good luck with the brakes, hope its not dangerous

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    really Paul, it just must be pads mate. it has to be.

If you've had the discs from Bill, everyone else uses them without trouble. you've got decent fluid, what on earth is happening?

Could it be that the brakes are binding and some how overheating the pads before you're even braking?

I just don't see how they can be so bad it makes no sense. Something MUST be up with it.
    Thanks,
    I fitted some mintex standard pads a while back and they worked fin but didnt like the heat as they lasted about a month.
    I would say pads myself but ive tried soo many.
    The car free wheels nicely
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

S3 Drift King!

Status
    2 only use brembo drilled discs.
    DO NOT get these Paul, they are 350+vat, and are very easy to warp, I found out the hard way! lol, but not just me, there's been problems with the OEM Brembo drilled for other members in the past too. I'm running LCR solid disks atm, and they work perfectly with my ECS stage1 rears. I did have a set of grooved disks which I sold to Dane on here, they we're a bit noisier when braking, and you could feel the grooves slightly during braking, stopped well too those.

6th Gear

Status
    I heard this too jojo,
    To the extent that with the LCR cup cars used to do testing after which the discs were warped then brembo would skim them and refit them.
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    id say you have to give changing the master cylider a pop, its not going to be either the discs or pads at fault imo, i run ds2500 pads and there absoloutly spot on. the fault would'nt continue from diffrenet discs and pads if it were to be them at fault would it. need to look further a field.
    brakes can be a pain to trace the fault back to but only possibilities your left with that i can think of right now are
    -sticking piston causing brake to bind on slightly
    -master cylinder sticking and slow in return causing brakes to bind on for a while
    -air in the system my s3 took ages to bleed the brakes through right even with a pressure bleeder
    -hand brake sticking on slightly? check the calipers are returning to there stops

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    DO NOT get these Paul, they are 350+vat, and are very easy to warp, I found out the hard way! lol, but not just me, there's been problems with the OEM Brembo drilled for other members in the past too. I'm running LCR solid disks atm, and they work perfectly with my ECS stage1 rears. I did have a set of grooved disks which I sold to Dane on here, they we're a bit noisier when braking, and you could feel the grooves slightly during braking, stopped well too those.
    ebc ultimax discs mate, not heared anything from mine as of yet

6th Gear

Status
    These are what i have in at the moment.

I fitted these after the set of disks from bill. Same problems as before though
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

6th Gear

Status
    Im concidering replacing the discs and pads with items from seat dealers.
    And maybe then look at the master cylinder?
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    Is it possible your overheating the rears, which in turn makes the fronts work harder and harder as they're doing all the braking?

Whats your rear setup?

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

6th Gear

Status
    Groved discs and at the moment. ( i think ) either Audi standard replacement or EBC red stuff
    Noggy Blue 2001 S3

Stage2'd!!!!!!

Status
    Im concidering replacing the discs and pads with items from seat dealers.
    And maybe then look at the master cylinder?
    be wasting your money imo, you have said you have all ready replaced discs and pads for this fault but it has'nt fixed it.... also you have used parts that most on here have tried and tested with no known faults, id say the problem is else where