Badger5Volks Autos
Page 94 of 144 FirstFirst ... 448487888990919293949596979899100101104 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,760 of 5750
Like Tree1054Likes

Thread: Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis583 View Post

You sticking with the same disc size or going mahoosive?
    I can answer that one with a picture I think

Forge 330x32mm, 2 piece, curved vane discs, and 6 pot Forge alloy calipers, and some orange hoses thrown in for good measure!

I weighed up my options after donington, and this just made sense. I'd spend a fortune on upgrading my LCR brakes to 2 piece, and this way I get a bigger caliper and pad area also, and a thicker disc for a similar outlay by the time I've sold my current brakes.

I need to say a Massive thanks to Jamie at Forge for sorting me out with these, very friendly and helpful whilst we were chatting about requirements and kept in contact whilst I was waiting for them to be made. Given the price of a new set of Brembo Jnr GT's, they're also incredibly well priced given the huge performance potential.

they're not currently advertised for sale on the forge website for the mk4, but can be made special order, there are a few sets floating around currently on various high powered cars, and now a set will be installed on my humble little A3 also

If anyone is tempted by these I'd advise e-mailing Jamie at forge, i would add his e-mail here, but my hotmail account is on the blink at the mo so I can't find it!

More to come and some more pictures tomorrow
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    I'll stop messing around now.

Secret parcel has arrived, and it was all a bit of a wind up.

Just a set of custom orange brake lines I'm afraid!

Really didnt have you down as a tart..

Status
    Me neither Dave, I didn't even ask for them. Just a little extra Jamie did for me as a surprise
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Me neither Dave, I didn't even ask for them. Just a little extra Jamie did for me as a surprise
    HAha nice, didnt put what i wanted as i know Daddy watches this.....

4th Gear

Status
    They look epic Prawn. Really looking forward to some updates bud.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Haha i know, ive been having blonde moments all week matey.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

nanananananananan BATMAN

Status

My Social Networking

Add MIGGZ on Facebook
    Whoo hooo! 6pots for the win! Those look boss dude!

My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Healthy??? no,no,noooo

Mine is healthy

yours is on steriods!!!

Status
    Rushed for time, off out to meet mum and dad for a meal, but for now:

That'll do pig, that'll do....

Amazing to fit, perfect fit, no issues or missalignment what so ever, bled up really easily, and pedal feels great.

Not even had time to test drive it yet, but I've got loads more pics I'll add tomorrow after a trip to Thruxton to watch the BTCC

5th Gear

Status
    Those look absolutely terrible, you should take them off and let me take them off your hands

Down under

Status
    They look so much better with the instagram filter and border haha
    Cozza McA likes this.
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

1st Gear

Status
    i have just read the entire thread (over a several days) and its a great thread and you have built a very capable car.

I thought id start off by saying i had a mk2 golf 1.8t 20v - BAM engine, qpeng management and it had those 2 piece discs you just bought, they are good so you wont have an issues with those.

Its always funny to read about the FWD/Haldex arguments, and i notice somebody said it would be a good comparison to see an similarly stripped out S3 - thats my plan, its obviously going to be a few years in development behind yours so don't expect too much too soon.

On that note, i assume any decent looking early S3 is a good base to start from?

Id hope for Bill at B5 to do some of the future work required, i once visited his place as i was dropping a haldex diff off to one of his customers (i break 4motions) at the time i had my mk2 golf, so we were chatting about it for a while - doubt very much he will remember though.

i should be sticking around and soaking up the tips for my new toy -

1st Gear

Status
    Hi mate, those look ready nice, the discs seem to be flat ie offset and in the pics the calipers seem to be sticking out way past the hub face. Is that going to be an issue with rims clearing.
    Audi A3 1.8T AUM Sport with more doors.

Down under

Status
    They don't look as bad as the brembo 6 pots so he should be alright rim clearance wise?
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

1st Gear

Status
    Looking good! Unsprung weight loss for the win.

Whats the weight of the disc and caliper? Also the piston diameters would be nice to know..

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jasongtr View Post

On that note, i assume any decent looking early S3 is a good base to start from?

Id hope for Bill at B5 to do some of the future work required, i once visited his place as i was dropping a haldex diff off to one of his customers (i break 4motions) at the time i had my mk2 golf, so we were chatting about it for a while - doubt very much he will remember though.
    Nice to have you on the forum mate, it's always good to see more similar projects starting up! I've been wanting someone to go the whole hog with an S3 for years! There are lots of lovely cars on here, but none have yet gone down the full on track car route yet (none that are finished!) so it'll be great to see how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by moredoor View Post
    Hi mate, those look ready nice, the discs seem to be flat ie offset and in the pics the calipers seem to be sticking out way past the hub face. Is that going to be an issue with rims clearing.
    They're a fairly thick disc at 32mm, and the bells are fairly thick and do have some set back. Brake clearance isn't an issue with my Super T's, but I'll have a test with with the Rotas, S3 rims, and TT comps at some point soon to make sure I don't get any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by BuuBBa View Post
    Looking good! Unsprung weight loss for the win.

Whats the weight of the disc and caliper? Also the piston diameters would be nice to know..
    I'm afraid I don't know the exact weight of the caliper and disc, in my haste to get them on I didn't weigh them!

Piston sizes are 30, 36.5, and 38.5mm

Just been out this morning to bed them in and they're feeling pretty damn strong, stopping power feels very good, and extremely positivel. the yellow pads are less grabby than other pads I've used, but when you give them a press it really hauls up very well indeed.

Annoyingly, my EZ bleed was leaking like hell yesterday, so by the time I finished bleeidng the brakes up the tyre was down to 6psi so it was moving pretty slowly. The pedal feel is a little long currently, but the top feels like air, so I'll find a tyre with some more air in and go and bleed them again now

Initial impressions: very impressed.

Down under

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by everyone who's not tried the brembo 6 pots
    ZOMG your pedal travel must be really long
    That's interesting on the piston sizes. They're bigger pistons than an 18z caliper Pedal feel on mine is great but as above, everyone tells me it's terrible...

Brembo 6 pot 17Z - pistons 34/36/38 = 3060mm2
    Brembo 6 pot 18Z - pistons 30/34/38 = 2750mm2
    Brembo 6 pot 19Z - pistons 32/36/38 = 2956mm2
    ReDBull likes this.

Status
    chatting to tuffty earlier and he said the pedal on hollies TT is quite nice and high still, so I'm very sure it's down to bleeding.

Just bled all 4 corners thoroughly, and moved my airfilter because I wanted something else to do.

Eating now, then test drive time.

Down under

Status
    It totally is about the bleeding. Everyone keeps banging on about how **** the pedal travel is on the 6 pots but in reality those people have either never fitted them or should stay away from brakes if they can't bleed them properly. A guy once told me you only have to bleed one side of the 6 pots! Probably why he reckons they have **** travel!

If your pedal is anything like mine it'll feel better than OEM with marginally more travel but much more notice before putting you through the windscreen. I really like the pedal travel on the 6 pots. I imagine you might have a touch more travel though.

Status
    OK, so potentially rookie error on my part here.....

My driveway is on a fairly steep downhill slope. This is where I bled the brakes and master cylinder.

Could I be right in thinking, that any air pocket trapped in the master cylinder, could well be sitting at the back (highest point due to down hill slope) of the cylinder and when I'm bleeding it's not getting pushed out at all?

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Yeah, higher the master cylinder the better

Status
    *goes to turn the car around then try again*

Reverse Gear

Status
    Love this thread. Hoping to put together something similar myself. One thing though, I can't seem to view any photos of the car either on my phone or laptop

Status
    Right, I decided I don't want to keep messing around with it, so I've just bought a new OE master cylinder. Mine was £20 used off ebay last year when I snapped a nipple off the other, so of completely unknown origin. Brakes are kind of important, so I'm going for the 'do it once' approach.

Going to attempt the hateful job of fitting it this evening.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by junkyardA3 View Post
    Love this thread. Hoping to put together something similar myself. One thing though, I can't seem to view any photos of the car either on my phone or laptop
    Not sure why that would be A few images on the first few pages seem to have died, but apart from that I think they're all still there.

Anyone else have issues viewing pictures?

5th Gear

Status
    Not sure why that would be A few images on the first few pages seem to have died, but apart from that I think they're all still there.

Anyone else have issues viewing pictures?
    i wondered why none of the writing makes sense.... There is pictures????

lol just kidding, yeah can see it fine mate. F*** changing master cylinder as an evening job CBA nick lol, you not bin at work all day...?

Sean
    Current: 2013 Audi A3 2.0 tdi s line 8V in black SD nav+ extras, E46 BMW M3, 1971 Volvo p1800, 2014 Ford transit sport 155ps ;-)

Previous : Focus st 225 stage 1 (265 bhp and too much torque), 2002 audi s3 bam engine completely OEM, 2001 Audi a3 1.8 TQS 221bhp and about 20 other cars, majority civics ek4/ek9 and Bmw / Audi soot chucker's!

5th Gear

Status
    When i changed my Master cylinder it became a right pain to bleed.... i found cycling the ABS pump with Vag-Com improved things greatly .... bleeding A3 brakes properly may be one of those only things where it's worth taking it to the stealers to get it hooked up to one of their machines
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

5th Gear

Status

Any feed back on the poly resin mounts. How are they holding up?

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by 666markyboy View Post
    When i changed my Master cylinder it became a right pain to bleed.... i found cycling the ABS pump with Vag-Com improved things greatly .... bleeding A3 brakes properly may be one of those only things where it's worth taking it to the stealers to get it hooked up to one of their machines
    Neeeeever going to happen haha
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Neeeeever going to happen haha
    ^^^ this. Nobody works on my car, apart from me, or, if I can't do it, mates who don't ask for payment

Had a good long chat with Dad today, as well as several phone calls with various brake people.

The master cylinder is a minimum of 13 years old, possibly as much as 16, and of totally unknown origin, so the new master cylinder will go on this weekend.

Also, in for a penny, in for a pound and all that, if we're doing this, we've decided we're just going to go all out and put the pads in it that we've always wanted for years: Pagid RS29.

We're at Spa in October, running on WTCC slicks, and the car needs to be in top shape.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 666markyboy View Post
    The machines the dealers use aren't all that. VCDS can cycle the ABS pump and the machine they use to bleed brakes is just a really expensive/fancy easy-bleed.

Spa is definitely on my trackday list at some point in the future. I actually think I would rather do Spa than the 'Ring.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

5th Gear

Status
    I'm just saying that's all..... but when i did mine , if you get air in that ABS unit it can be a right mare... i tried pressure bleeding , gravity bleeding the old fashioned 2 man method of bleeding and even rigged up a setup to suction bleed and pull the fluid through the calipers..... and the all write ups i trawled through seemed to come to same conclusion that you couldn't beat the factory way .... but like you i won't let anybody work on my car, I'm an Aircraft fitter by trade with 30 years experience and currently working on Eurofighter Typhoons so i know my around hydraulic systems and in the end i just had to settle for a soft pedal, it did get better in time though but I've never been totally happy with it
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

2nd Gear

Status
    ^^^^^ This is so similar to my experiences with my Mk4 Golf. Had to change the M/C and ran the Easy Bleed out of fluid for justs a split second and wham crap brakes and days of bleeding, gravity, normal Vag-Com just as above and my pedal got a bit better in use but I was never 100% happy, ooh and I forgot to add, the closest I have come to an Aircraft fitter is my current car's last owner was one, me I am a self taught DIY mechanic, qualified in naff all, so even more interesting we had the same experiences lol.
    Oops forgot the actual advice bit, firstly I hope you don't have air in the ABS but if you do Vag-com probably won't cure it first time so run it a few times, ie not just one full cycle which I think is about 12 repititions anyway, so expect to do maybe 5/6 of them, it's very repeptitive but probably the best chance you have of improving it, good luck!
    Last edited by Vorshprungdork; 8th May 2013 at 22:38.

2nd Gear

Status
    Wee Prawn phoned EBC brakes today to see if they could shed any light on why the brakes faded when they got hot after only minimal use. Not track day hot, just some lively road use. LOVE the answer, "it's probably because you are not using the same pads on the rear.

Yeah and i'm the Pope.

Bless you salesman and all the people who travel in your empty head.

Down under

Status
    I don't know how people struggle so badly to bleed brakes. I left my old calipers connected right up until the last moment after fitting the new ones, swapped the lines over mega quick and then bled each caliper (furthest away/passenger first), outer nipple first (not sure if those 6 pots have 2 nipples). I did have a slightly ropey pedal at first but put it down to fresh discs not being bed in. It's spot on now. Key is don't let the reservoir get low. I even bled with the pedal which is a cardinal sin on here!

Perhaps you have air in the ABS pump as said or the MC is stuffed like you say?

Status
    I've never had issues before Sam. This is a first!

whats the correct procedure, inner or outer nipple first? I've been doing the inner one first then outer.

Not cycled abs pump yet, tried to but vagcom kept reverting back to shareware version for some reason. Ill see if I can figure that out this weekend.

I don't believe for a minute the issue is related to rear pad choice though.

Im not in too much of a hurry to resolve it, I plan to do it once now and do it right.

Got a few more pad enquiries to make today after some interesting conversations last night. So we'll see what's what later on

Down under

Status
    Now I think about it I done the inner then outer too. It goes against the "furthest away from the MC first" principle though I guess.

I must say I'm not looking forward to the next time I do mine. Sounds like a bit of a lottery heh. Time for an MC lottery avatar.

Hope you get it sorted in good time.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Are they the CP3215 D50 pad thats used in your brakes
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available
    FOR SALE
    Sparco Torino 2 sport seats, None resonated Milltek exhaust, Blue Haldex controller
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

Scuderia Vittoria Edition 001

Status
    if it helps prawn i bled my 6 pots outer nipple first and pedal travel is spot on! exactly the same as stock but with lots more bite (im running 17z's) also good choice with rs29's, the most incredible pad ive run in 6 pots
    Audi S3

''If a hammer doesn't fit it. it's technical''

AH Fabrications catch can for sale £50 posted!

2nd Gear

Status
    Pop over to the workshop on Saturday if you get really stuck mate.
    2008 8P S3- Black edition. 'all the options....'

Status
    Cheers everyone for help and suggestions
    Andrew: yes it's the d50 pad shape. Apparently very common.

Future: that's good to hear man, I had some rs19 on my 996 brakes a few years back and they were insane.

Itll either be rs29 or something a little more unusual depending on a phone call with mr Brown later on