JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
Page 87 of 146 FirstFirst ... 377780818283848586878889909192939497137 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,480 of 5822
Like Tree1063Likes

Thread: Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

6th Gear

Status
    I cant wait to get the roll abr fitted now!

Are those cams OEM from a 1.8 Non Turbs?

Will you map need to be altered once fitted?

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Have you got any plans to come to Cadwell or Blyton this year? If you have let me know it would be good to see you in action. You and you car looks Awsome in the vids. I'm going to have to give track days a go.

2nd Gear

Status

Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

This picture is epic

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Cheers Lee!

Paul: Really want to do Cadwell this year, and possibly Blyton as well as I know lots of people who go there regularly.

1.8 non turbo cams yes Marty, hopefully tuffty will have some more testing figures this weekend to show the gains, but I decided I wanted to get in there early and test a set myself as well
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Status
    Cams collected, they look absolutely mint

Very happy, being fitted next weekend
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6th Gear

Status
    Good stuff Prawn!

Are you not fitting them yourself?

nanananananananan BATMAN

Status

My Social Networking

Add MIGGZ on Facebook

Will see my gains now to with flowed head and apr cams.

My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox1 View Post
    Healthy??? no,no,noooo

Mine is healthy

yours is on steriods!!!

Status
    Good stuff Prawn!

Are you not fitting them yourself?
    I could, and almost always usually would Marty, but I'd quite like to do some dyno testing before / after fitting them to see the gains / losses, and this isn't so easy on my drive.

If all goes to plan I'll be going down to see Ben at Parsons Performance on Saturday and we shall have a day of messing around and testing these cams to see if we realise the gains others have claimed. Need to confirm with Ben that dyno time is available though

Been thinking of moving my front number plate and drilling out the bumper for a while now to increase airflow across the IC.

Any thoughts on plate position?

or:

Would be a simple stick on plate either way.

2nd Gear

Status

First picture.

come fly with me

Status
    I like the second pic.
    <Jay A3 build thread>

241bhp K03s - R Tech

6th Gear

Status
    Cut out the letters from the plate and cut out the plastic from behind the plate on the bumper so air can pass straight through. Pretty sure you`ve mentioned doing that before.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    First.

The square plate looks SO chavy.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Ditch it.
    Just carry it in the boot.
    you'll be fine.

New Car, New Thread: Scott's Akoya Silver A8
    Gone But Not Forgotten: Audrey's Build Thread

RIP S3dave

Status
    first picture suits it better

3rd option sticky one on bonnet? (if thats legal)
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

6th Gear

Status
    Its not i dont think. My ex had a stick on plate on the bonnet of her Celica GT4 and she had been pulled a few times for it but kept it on.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    I'd have said sticky on bonnet.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status

What about cutting behind the plate out but leave 2 lugs so you can still attach the plate then remove it at the track day just a thought

Status
    Prawny, does it even NEED more airflow? Surely with the big FMIC and WMI you're not going to see much advantage from making your front bumper look like Swiss cheese?!
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    I was going to suggest that or use velcro but as he left his personal plate on the rear by mistake after the last track day i thought he`d probably forget to put the plate back on the front so didnt bother saying anything lol.

Status
    Cheers chappies, first option it is I think, it potentially doesn't need any more air at all, but with summer coming up, you can never be too careful can you? Plus it looks different, I'd like the car to look a little more aggressive, it's so soft and plain looking still, I want it to look mean!

Out of meth currently, although I've found a supplier about an hour from me that I'm going to try and visit on Friday

1st Gear

Status
    1st option, definately!! I know a few guys around my area that are running proper size sticky type. As long as its the correct size and spacing, they sticky style ones are legal

Cawsey

Status

Prawn if you want it to look mean cut the grill fight out mate and first pic is better, I might have to buy a smaller plate like that for mine, as it looks silly at the moment

AMD stage 2 map, BBS LM 19s, 20mm Momo Spacers, Black Diamond Discs, Ferrodo ds2500 pads, Milltek Exhaust, Pipewerx downpipe and Decat, Custom FMIC, 4 bar Fuel Pressure Regulator, Forge 007p, Forge short shift, Forge DV relocation ,Forge TIP, S2000 Filter, Sachs Race Clutch, Sachs Light weight Single mass flywheel, ForgeOil catch tank, De baffled Charge pipe & Polished, Polished Inlet Manifold, N249 Delete, PCV Delete, Red Engine Mounts, Forge Boost hoses, Angel Eye Headlights, LCR Splitter,

6th Gear

Status
    You need one of the original JDM number plate tilters that used to be fitted on old school skylines and such like. Once at speed the wind would push the plate back compressing the spring angling the plate down into the bumper mouth directing airflow into the intercooler. When slowing down the plate would return to correct position.

On second thoughts just move the plate and hack up the bumper

Down under

Status
    I ran one on the bonnet of my 205 for ages and didn't get pulled for it. Also ran without for a couple of years.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

6th Gear

Status
    When my mate got an R32 front end on his mk4 he never put a plate on and used to keep a spare 30quid in his ashtray for when he'd get pulled. Which was a lot in MK.
    Westy likes this.

Status
    Not a fan of the complete cut out look Danny, I don't know why, I've just never liked it, with the holes it's always very easy to just zip tie a full sized plate over the front and it'll look totally normal again.

Found a place that'll do smaller stick on plates, so I think I'll take that route for now

Status

We could get a sweep steak running to see how long before the old bill pull you over for it
    StaceyS3 likes this.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Fit a air dam and put it on there.

Golf with BAM Engine

Status
    If you're looking at adding ventilation in this area, I assume it will involve making holes in the bumper crash bar?

Mike

5th Gear

Status
    How about under the cooler in the space between the bottom of bumper and the Cupra lip. Both options look chavy tbh

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfworth View Post
    How about under the cooler in the space between the bottom of bumper and the Cupra lip. Both options look chavy tbh
    This is the option I would like to offer up to see if it will work and how it will look. If it looks stupid maybe large holes behind the original number plate and remove the plate when on track if extra cooling is at all needed . If extra cooling is needed it will be summer only I guess.

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Not a fan of the complete cut out look Danny, I don't know why, I've just never liked it, with the holes it's always very easy to just zip tie a full sized plate over the front and it'll look totally normal again.

Found a place that'll do smaller stick on plates, so I think I'll take that route for now
    On the subject of smaller plates, It is illegal.The smallest plate you are allowed is 524mmx112mm or 285mmx203mm if you prefer a square one and the letters must be 50mmx78mm. and I believe they must be mounted vertically so stick on's could be a problem if on a slope such as the front of the bonnet, though I'm not certain about that. That could be down the the individual PCP. The maximum fine is £1,000. That's a lot of petrol and methanol. You can have a slightly bigger plate BUT not smaller.

RIP S3dave

Status
    hinge it.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

6th Gear

Status

How the cams go?
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

Down under

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bigal 1 View Post
    On the subject of smaller plates, It is illegal.The smallest plate you are allowed is 524mmx112mm or 285mmx203mm if you prefer a square one and the letters must be 50mmx78mm. and I believe they must be mounted vertically so stick on's could be a problem if on a slope such as the front of the bonnet, though I'm not certain about that. That could be down the the individual PCP. The maximum fine is £1,000. That's a lot of petrol and methanol. You can have a slightly bigger plate BUT not smaller.
    Kind of. The minimum size is (or at least was) actually based on the characters on the plate and margins around those characters. If you had "A1" rather than "A123 456", then you could get away with a smaller plate. Unless legislation has changed since I was making them anyway.

Legal number plates - DVLA rules for display of registration numbers - The Plate Market
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bigal 1 View Post
    On the subject of smaller plates, It is illegal.
    You didn't seem to mind driving the Mini with a stick on plate all these years that doesn't comply either....

I know the rules Big Bad, don't worry

Status
    Good weekend!

Stupidly busy, havn't stopped all weekend or had time to update this!

Saturday morning I set off early and headed down to Littlehampton to meet Ben, Benjamin on here, and the man behind Parsons Performance. Ben doesn't currently have a dyno at his workshop, so we met up at Devil Developments in Littlehampton, to use their dyno.

I bet up with Ben and Reesy mid morning, and we convoyed down to Devil, where we loaded the A3 onto the dyno:

We ran it, and it returned 297bhp on actuator, and on a few different runs, 327/328/341bhp on boost, with the typical AGU management giving slightly more boost on each run, hence the rising power.

On the road the car used to run 20ish psi, it was mapped for 21psi, and on track it lifts itself up to 23-24psi. AGU management is so strange!

After the runs, Ben got to work on swapping the cams over. This was very odd for me, as usually I do everything myself on the car, but the test day was originally Bens idea, and Lee who owned the place nows Ben well, and to be fair, Ben could get it done a LOT faster than I could, the man works fast!!!!

Traditional comparison shot:

New cams in:

And time to run again:

And after all that, I forget to get the dyno print outs! haha.

Post cams, the car ran 327/329/346bhp, so to be honest, the results in that sense, were pretty similar. Things stayed relatively similar power and torque wise, although boost was down around 2-3psi for the same power, and the car was running richer.

As tuffty found, there was small losses low down, although very small, and higher up after 5500rpm it holds onto the torque and power better than before, but due to the way my map tapers off at the top end currently, it's not making full use of the cams where they want to flow more.

On the road, it feels brilliant, the small losses low down cannot be felt, and the willingness to pull beyond 7k is very apparent, it feels more free

Also, since driving it more, it seems to be getting quicker.

On the dyno straight after the cams, it ran richer than before, with my in car wideband showing 10's at WOT. After 100 miles fuel trims are now shwoing -4.7%, so it's removing fuel, and my wideband is showing 11's at full chat, and it feels absolutely ballistic, definitely faster than it was when first done, all from just 19psi, dropping to 17psi at the top end.

I think there is more to come from it, it doesn't get all that hot, the manifold doesn't glow like it used to, and it doesn't pull any timing anywhere, yet still feels crazy fast.

All in all, very very happy indeed Huge thanks to Ben for suggesting /sorting out / doing the work on Saturday, had a top day, much fun messing around with Ben and Reesy, and I hope the lads enjoyed the ride in the car, I certainly enjoyed taking bens M3 for a driveby

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    You didn't seem to mind driving the Mini with a stick on plate all these years that doesn't comply either....

I know the rules Big Bad, don't worry
    There are NO rules for mini's, cos they are special. Well at least our's is.

Neutral

Status
    Shame I didnt know you were heading doing or I would have popped in, they are a good bunch down at devil! All be it fast fords :s Look forward to seeing any further potential of these to be unlocked!!
    Contact admins for advertising

TT 225 + a bit!!

nanananananananan BATMAN

Status

My Social Networking

Add MIGGZ on Facebook

I expected more gain from a 1mm more lift? Hmmm
    Will see if mine is any different with the flowing of the head to next week

My rides thread : http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...t-journey.html

Healthy??? no,no,noooo