EM TuningMonster Motorsport
Page 7 of 145 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141757107 ... LastLast
Like Tree1060Likes

Thread: Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Well, she's been on the weigh bridge!

Today started off a bit dodgy, but after a bit of drama, I made it to work in this this morning.

left my road to some horrific noises from the offside front wheel, catching really badly.

got back to the drive, and decided to try a 10mm spacer rather than 15 to clear the brakes. Whipped the 10's off my daily, and stuck one on the track car, but it still didn't clear the brakes back in with the 15's

So instead I cut out part of the arch liner with my penknife, and raised the ride height by 20mm each side to combat the rubbing.

Problem solved! I made it:

Good guesses folks, one of which is very close indeed! I've got a figure from the weighbridge, minus the 35kg of fuel that's in it to give total weight
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    What are the weight of the Leon wheels like to the 6spokes? I know the 6 spoke wheels are VERY heavy at around 14kg each before tyres.

If the Leon wheels are a similar weight, you would be best of looking for some wheels like Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's which I think are around 7-8kg for 17's. Un-sprung weight is said to have an effect of 5times of sprung weight, so saving 5kg a a wheel, is 20kg across the car, which is effectively 100kg of weight in the car!

Status
    The Leon wheels are much lighter than the 6 spokes, but ultimately I still want a set of TD pro race 1.2's in 17x8 et35. Just a case of money!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6th Gear

Status
    And the weight is?

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Status
    So, the result!
    When weighed this morning, the car had 35-40kg of fuel in it, so to get an idea of the cars weight, Ive subtracted 35-40kg from the weighbridge figure.

So, subtracting the fuel weight, that puts the car in at 1060-1065Kg!
    Really chuffed with that. Assuming 235bhp (which my 190g/s MAF logs suggest, and previous RRs back up) that puts it in at 220+bhp/ton!
    It really flies now, Im very happy with it. Annoyingly though, the arches need rolling as the front tyres are catching

Anyone anywhere in hampshire or surrey that could roll the arches / lend me a tool tomorrow? got Castle Combe saturday, so I'm desperate!

Nogaro S3

Status
    You can get it done at Deamon Tweeks in north wales, might be a bit to far though???

6th Gear

Status
    bleh 5 out if not counting fuel lol

Arch enemy are pretty good and come to you but i guess you want to do it cheap as possible..

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Neutral

Status
    Hammer!

Smell my finger.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    Little clip Bob took as I drove off

YouTube - A3 1.8t

I quite like how it sounds, not really heard it before!
    Nice work there Nick, coming on nice. Mine does that little 'pop' too...I love it...childish I know but meh
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

2nd Gear

Status
    Saw you blasting round the coombe today! didnt see you parked up, otherwise i would have said hello.
    A friend of a friend in a blue evo complimented your driving and how quick he thought your car was! It looked well set up and at ease on the track, looked like a lot of controlled oversteer on the last corner before the main straight!
    Was a really good day, i had a major tank slapper on a round about on the way there! Next to my brother in his rx8 at a set of lights before a round about. Both decided to be childish and boot it. full throttle in second with a few fatties in the back resulted in losing my back end and me peering at his passenger through my windscreen! hairy moment! hope you had a good first outing in your car...

Status
    Cheers man! I think I saw your S3 parked up it looked lovely! Still love S3's, although I avoid publicly admitting it!

Had an AWESOME day today at Combe, I think I remember passing that blue evo in one session. Wierdly, the theme of today seemed to be overtaking Evos! Much to my surprise, despite the array of exotica out there, I only got overtaken once the entire day out of 4 driven sessions, by a stupidly lairy black evo with loads of carbon bits. In one session we went out 5th car, and mananged to overtake/lap every other car on track aside from 2!

Car was truly awesome, I'm SO impressed with it. Not had a look through the vids yet, but my mate said it was very low 1:20's, so 1:21-1:22 I think.

Needs some work though, we boilled the PAS fluid, and the water temps are getting too high after 4 laps or so, So I'll be throwing a new radiator in it, an oil cooler, and making my own powersteering fluid cooler setup too using an oil cooler core.

Really fired up for tbe ring trip now! I'll get some pics and vids up tomorrow some time

2nd Gear

Status
    its a 400bhp+ evo, although the driver is a newb to track driving my friend who had a passenger ride said hes very capable and the first thing he said was; 'we got done by an insanly fast a3!'

hope you sort the few niggles without too much hassle.

Status
    haha, 400bhp? No wonder the bloody thing took some getting around!

I think you're quote has to be my new sig :P

Chugger

Status
    here ya go prawn

One of a few very poorly positioned photos...

But it was nuts... either your car is incredibly rapid or everybody was taking it easy. The pace you had over everybody was noticable to say the least.

There was also a very tasty s3 on show...

was an awesome day.
    57 A3 2.0 TDI Sportback (140)

2nd Gear

Status
    haha, 400bhp? No wonder the bloody thing took some getting around!

I think you're quote has to be my new sig :P
    haha.

ive seen that yellow s3 before, sitting on genuine R8 wheels now though, looks good.

2nd Gear

Status
    You'll love this;

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/lsr-photographic/5603564735/in/set-72157626337922237/

2nd Gear

Status
    meant to be a pick from my mates flickr, il try and sort a link...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by barters3 View Post
    It looked well set up and at ease on the track, looked like a lot of controlled oversteer on the last corner before the main straight!
    I've got some wicked in car footage of said oversteer from one session, trying to upload it to youtube at the mo.

I didn't realise quite how sideways it was going, didn't think it's be visable from outside! I always end up messing around through Camp (that corner).

I was really amazed at how controllable the car was with the huge rear ARB, the back can be made to come round so easily, but when it does it's 100% controllable and feels great, even if it's not the quickst way around, it's damn fun!

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Nick, I think that pic in the link above should be your new avatar. Love the orange pin stripes on the wheels and what you've done with the car.

Status
    Just got sent a little in car clip my mate took, filmed from a 180bhp celica GT, this was the first session out, and I think second lap so tyres just warming up nicely.

YouTube - A3 1.8t at castle combe

Status
    Wow, Barters3, that pic, is amazing. Thanks SO much for that. that's made my day

Kev: Cheers mate! I'm currently undecided between keeping the orange, or doing the wheels silver again to make it more of a sleeper. I jus can't decide!

Status
    one of the sessions from yesterday: YouTube - A3 1.8t track car, in car at castle combe

3rd Gear

Status
    your car was awesome yesterday mate, has definately made me want to do the same to mine!!

1st Gear

Status

RIP S3dave

Status
    nice to see nick
    you are clearly very comfortable with the cars handling.. being able to push and know its limits..

great job.

makes me reminiss of the good old days

top job
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    Cheers Bill, that's certainly a compliment comming from you! much appreciated

It would appear, that over on Northloop, my playful experimenting with lift off oversteer may have been taken for a bit of a manic uncontrolled driving style! shame, I was having great fun.

Watching it though, I think I could be smoother in places, and someone did comment that I need to keep both hands on the wheel.

It seemed like most of the distance I was making on other cars was under braking, so MASSIVE thanks to Bill for sorting me out with the most awesome stoppers I've ever known!

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    loved that bit where u over took that annoying scooby about 4 mins in. u make me wanna track my car soo badly man!

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Dull, I can't wait to roast you at the Ring next month.

lolz.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Status
    hahaha, in your 1.6 xsi 306?

3rd Gear

Status
    8.36 when you farted was the best bit ha ha!

bloody awesome mate, must have been the best laugh ever....
    Genuine Audi Pink A3 1.8T, stage 1 remap. Genuine Audi bodykit and Reiger front bumper, 18's, JOM coillies down 50mmish, dewipered, debadged, 007P, K&N, Janspeed exhaust, Bose and a few other bits and bobs!

WANTED: rubber mat which sits under ashtray in cubby hole
    drivers side wing mirror glass,
    bonnet in Devon area
    front brake discs for A3 1.8T

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    hahaha, in your 1.6 xsi 306?
    Of course, I think we've all agreed if I do sub 9 I will retain my status as a driving god.

If I crash and die then it doesn't matter, I wouldn't have a head to hold my crown on so I couldn't care less.

However, how are we going to get Spunky home if I do die? I'm well excited now dude, I want it to be Germany time already!!!
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Some wicked driving there mate. The old A3 seemed to perform very well indeed, you must be happy.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    very nice dude! good vids too.

VX220 SC Driver :)

Status
    I likey. I likey a lotty.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Marriage is like a coffin and each kid is another nail."
    Homer Simpson

6th Gear

Status
    i love that every one is driving around relatively normally and there you are behind them going sideways with tyres screching, LOL. Awesome, love it
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Smell my finger.

Status
    Looking good Prawn :D
    2000 Audi A3 1.8T Sport - Custom Code Phase 1 remap / Custom Stainless Catback Exhuast / MKII 18" RS4 Reps / Wietec Ultra GT40mm / KW ARB's / Forge TIP / Forge 007 / Green Panel Filter / EBC Greenstuff pads / 312mm S3 front brake upgrade / Aero Wipers / LED Interior Lights / LED Side Repeaters / Face Lift Rear Lights and covered in Dodo Juice

RIP S3dave

Status
    one thing nick..
    how did you determin you boiled your pas fluid?

notchy steering?
    if so... is there any heat shielding between the downpipe and rack where they're closest?
    (my ibiza did this once, heat shielded it and all cured)

just a thought

bill@badger5.co.uk

Status
    Well, I think it boiled bill. The steering went a bit notchy, but more noticably it was whining badly after 4-5 laps. Back in the paddock it looked like it'd been trying to blow it out at the cap, and with the cap off, it was seriously hot in there!

Rack is a TT rack with the standard heat shielding where it's close to the DP. Did you add additional shielding?

RIP S3dave

Status
    yes I added heat shielding to mine. mine also went notchy. did'nt do it after

bill@badger5.co.uk