Chris NottSky Insurance
Page 53 of 137 FirstFirst ... 34346474849505152535455565758596063103 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,120 of 5442
Like Tree925Likes

Thread: Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

1st Gear

Status
    Looking forward it.... Yeah I rather improve on the track as well rather than in the straight you seem to be awesome going around corners judging by your videos

Are you getting much torque steer?
    And what psi are you peaking at

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    I get absolutely no torque steer at all, but that's probably because I don't have much torque! Haha.

Boost peaks at 18psi early on to get things going then falls to 16 quickly, holding 16 to 6k then falling to 14 at 7k. There's not much timing in the map to keep cylinder pressures low. Torque peaks at 260lbft, but it holds that right across the entire rev range so ffeels incredibly linear and like an n/a engine to drive
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

1st Gear

Status
    Wow 295bhp with 18psi that's crazy these turbos can nearly peak to 30psi, can't wait to see what both of our cars can do with stronger internals

Status
    At the point where it's making 295bhp it is only on around 16psi of boost.

On earlier revisions of the map it was making 312bhp at 16-17psi with a load more timing, but Niki had to de-tune it for the standard rods
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Gear

Status
    seeing your build thread makes me so excited, mines still one month away just took the engine out the other day

Im a bit worried about water meth and running out, im guessing you would recommend it

Status
    Having been dead against WMI previously, I changed my mind after the first manifold cracked.

I'd now definitely recommend it. the car just feels so consistent with the meth running, hot, cold, wet, dry, performance never drops off at all, and inlet temps are always sub 20 no matter what I'm doing or how hot is it. the engine also feels more lively, which is probably a result of the slightly increased timing it's allowed.

As for worrying about it running out, I wouldn't worry, get the AEM kit like mine and it's got a fluid low warning light that comes on with plenty of warning. the light comes on with about 25mm left in the tank, so plenty for a good few miles or spirited driving home. I'm finding that 1 3.8 litre tank of meth is out lasting a full tank of fuel easily, I don't know how much meth costs out there, but I paid £37 for 50 litres, which mixed 50/50 gives me 100 litres of mixture, so 26 tank fulls! probably enough for 5000-8000 miles of driving depending on how you drive! it's not expensive at all when you do the maths like that

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Nick, on the subject of AEMs kit, have you got an inline filter between tank and pump? Only reason I ask is because I noticed that Stacey runs one and he said that AEM recommend it. He also thinks that might be the reason behind my 2nd nozzle failure, said that maybe the nozzle has some dirt in it that's causing the syphoning.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Good to see this car in the flesh going down the strip at inters prawn.You are **** at launches though joke.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane-Ireland View Post
    Good to see this car in the flesh going down the strip at inters prawn.You are **** at launches though joke.
    Come on Shane, be honest mate, it's not a joke at all is it? I really am ****!

Then again, I knew before hand that I would be, so it didn't come as a huge surprise to me! 300bhp and FWD in a light car just doesn't seem to work for launches at all!

Not my cup of tea anyway, so I'm not too bothered, I just wish i could have done the car a bit of justice!

Badger 5 Edition

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post

Then again, I knew before hand that I would be, so it didn't come as a huge surprise to me! 300bhp and FWD in a light car just doesn't seem to work for launches at all!

Not my cup of tea anyway, so I'm not too bothered, I just wish i could have done the car a bit of justice!
    Bill manages in the Ibiza

<tuffty/>
    Silver 2001 AMK S3. Silver alcantara interior... now with added powarrrrrrrr, torques. VAGCOM + KII-USB. >> My build thread...

1st Gear

Status
    Maybe next year the will having rolling starts,then you can clear up

6th Gear

Status
    Just try a proper RWYB day once on a properly prepared track. Just have to roll off the line perhaps then give it some instead of an all out launch. Or just get some slicks and end up snapping the driveshafts lol.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Just try a proper RWYB day once on a properly prepared track. Just have to roll off the line perhaps then give it some instead of an all out launch. Or just get some slicks and end up snapping the driveshafts lol.
    I'm sure I can improve at santa pod with sticky tyres, a better tarmac surface, and a bit lighter

Prawny, if you're up for a RWYB day let me know as I dont live too far from the Pod now, plus I'm sure Jase will tag along too.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    He just needs more-wheel-drive :P

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I'm sure I can improve at santa pod with sticky tyres, a better tarmac surface, and a bit lighter

Prawny, if you're up for a RWYB day let me know as I dont live too far from the Pod now, plus I'm sure Jase will tag along too.
    There is reaction time at the pod fred !!

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    I think the one mistake people make on non-competitive RWYB days, is trying to launch on the light.

The timing doesnt start until you break the beam, so instead of trying to pounce off exactly when it hits green, just stay composed wait for the green, and go when YOUR ready.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
    I think the one mistake people make on non-competitive RWYB days, is trying to launch on the light.

The timing doesnt start until you break the beam, so instead of trying to pounce off exactly when it hits green, just stay composed wait for the green, and go when YOUR ready.
    Exactly what I was doing. The time I tried to launch on green I bogged right down and got my worst times from the 6 runs I did.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

King of the Mods. Apparently.

Status

My Social Networking

Visit Reesy's Instagram Channel
    Exactly what I was doing. The time I tried to launch on green I bogged right down and got my worst times from the 6 runs I did.
    That's the one I have pics of in the pics thread...

6th Gear

Status

Keep me informed if your up for doing a rwyb day as until I've got the new setup on and running I will probably have to steer clear of track days due to the egts
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

Status
    I'm sure 13 seconds is long enough for your EGT's to go through the Roof isn't it Stacey?

Can't wait for my next trackday! Should be doing Keevil on July 16th

6th Gear

Status
    Through the roof for most people i suppose but as i was saying to someone cant remember who, the temps on the liquid or from the sensor dont seem to replicate the temps of the the hardware as when first getting it really hot (with the engine warmed) it takes longer to get up there and even on a little burst of throttle its not to bad, but say do a few of pulls through the gears back to back and stop for a bit as soon as you get on boost again it rockets straight back up to protection level even thought the egt value was at say 400-500 before hand

I didn't hit egt protection until my second run back to back and it had only just hit 920 but when giving it some constantly ie on a private road/track i would be surprised if it even dropped below high 800's low 900's as see low 800's when cruising at 80/90 on the motorway
    Power & Torque 335bhp 285ftlb
    0-60 4.64 1/4 mile 13.02
    My GTX3071r Build Thread
    http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-f...ld-thread.html

6th Gear

Status

Shame you all dont live around here. National motorsport week from the 30th - 8th and if you live in the NN or MK postcode pod will let you run all day for free lol.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Status
    Shame you all dont live around here. National motorsport week from the 30th - 8th and if you live in the NN or MK postcode pod will let you run all day for free lol.
    So my Peterborough postcode is no good
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    lol sadly not. Not unless you can get another driving license with an MK or NN postcode written on it

I was going to pop down but then stupidly filled up a full tank on saturday...I only run with less than 1/4 of a tank. Ran the Yaris a full day on the fuel light once too lol.

Status
    lol sadly not. Not unless you can get another driving license with an MK or NN postcode written on it

I was going to pop down but then stupidly filled up a full tank on saturday...I only run with less than 1/4 of a tank. Ran the Yaris a full day on the fuel light once too lol.
    That is another thing I thought of yesterday. I did all my sprint runs on 3 quarters of a tank! I'm not sure how much fuel Prawn and others tend to run for track days or sprint runs?
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Track days you`ll be on full tanks. When i went to Bedford with some friends most went out at lunch time to fill up having done nearly a full tank in the morning session and one guy in a 500bhp Evo did 3 tanks in a day.

As they say in F1, every 10kgs in fuel is a tenth of a second added on lol.

Status
    That is another thing I thought of yesterday. I did all my sprint runs on 3 quarters of a tank! I'm not sure how much fuel Prawn and others tend to run for track days or sprint runs?
    I had just under 3/4 of a tank on board when going down the strip. At trackdays I tend to use almost 2 full tanks in a day, so brim it at the start of the day / night before, and that usually gets me to lunch time, then brim it again for the afternoon, and if I'm lucky it'll do the afternoon and trip home.

1st Gear

Status
    Having been dead against WMI previously, I changed my mind after the first manifold cracked.

I'd now definitely recommend it. the car just feels so consistent with the meth running, hot, cold, wet, dry, performance never drops off at all, and inlet temps are always sub 20 no matter what I'm doing or how hot is it. the engine also feels more lively, which is probably a result of the slightly increased timing it's allowed.

As for worrying about it running out, I wouldn't worry, get the AEM kit like mine and it's got a fluid low warning light that comes on with plenty of warning. the light comes on with about 25mm left in the tank, so plenty for a good few miles or spirited driving home. I'm finding that 1 3.8 litre tank of meth is out lasting a full tank of fuel easily, I don't know how much meth costs out there, but I paid £37 for 50 litres, which mixed 50/50 gives me 100 litres of mixture, so 26 tank fulls! probably enough for 5000-8000 miles of driving depending on how you drive! it's not expensive at all when you do the maths like that
    thanks for the advice prawn im looking at this set-up
    eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d�r
    with the 2.5gallon bottle and upgrade solenoid

2nd Gear

Status

The car wasnt built with straight lining in mind. Too much to break in my opinion. It was built for the Ring and going around corners. You did the car justice, you were not silly and did not break anything.

Status
    Took the car for a drive over the weekend, going well as always, did some hugely unscientific testing of the WMI and it's effectiveness by feeling different parts of the engine after a thrash, and it's most impressive!

After a long blast, I jumped out and popped the bonnet straight away. the alloy charge pipe just off the turbo was really hot, couldn't hold onto it hot. This will be partly heat from the charged air, and partly head from the engine bay.

The hot side tank of the intercooler was fairly hot to touch, nowhere near as bad as the charge pipe under the bonnet, you could hold it, but it was on the upper limit of warm / hot

the cold side of the intercooler was MUCH cooler, really obvious difference. it felt similar to the bodywork around it to be honest, so the IC is doing a great job.

then the inlet manifold, and wow, it felt like an ice cold can of beer straight from the fridge!

proof if ever that WMI is doing an amazing job If the air going into the engine is THAT cold then it must be happy!

Also noticed whilst under the bay that the bracket I made for my charge pipe heat shield had cracked the the shield was wobbling around like crazy. In an ideal world I'd have something welded up properly with a second mount to stop it happening again, but in the short term, I whipped it off, made a copy, then made a mirror image of it too so the bracket is now doubled up.

This has made it MUCH stiffer, so hopefully should last a bit longer until I get something proper made

Oh, and England is crap, so I'm off to the Nurburgring again next week for a few days!

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    good to see the mani is holding up well for you.
    bring on the real test next week i guess. safe trip!

Status
    Doing OK so far it seems SuperK, still early days yet though, so touch wood.

More of a social visit than anything to be honest, very last minute and unplanned, just thought about it over the weekend decided I'd go.

Status

My Social Networking

More of a social visit than anything to be honest, very last minute and unplanned, just thought about it over the weekend decided I'd go.
    As you do!

Hope all goes well mate, and if it's midweek you should get a few laps in to test the beast..

2nd Gear

Status
    Doing OK so far it seems SuperK, still early days yet though, so touch wood.

Be honest, its just that we are stopping at the Ring on our way home and Mum has promised to buy you and frenchman dinner at P K

Status
    That's the main reason, the Steak! The worlds greatest race track being 500 yards from the Restaurant is just a bonus!

Lapping Monday afternoon before you and Mum arrive, then if you've there early enough I can take mum out for a lap to see what she thinks! Then you can take mum for a lap in the A3 and I'll go watch, then the Polo needs to go round to get a sticker too!

2nd Gear

Status
    That's the main reason, the Steak! The worlds greatest race track being 500 yards from the Restaurant is just a bonus!

Lapping Monday afternoon before you and Mum arrive, then if you've there early enough I can take mum out for a lap to see what she thinks! Then you can take mum for a lap in the A3 and I'll go watch, then the Polo needs to go round to get a sticker too!
    Mum out for a lap, get real. She thinks the acceleration of my Kona is frightening. Maybe some strong drugs and a bag over her head.

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by bigal 1 View Post
    She thinks my Kona is frightening. Maybe some strong drugs and a bag over her head.
    Jesus, you guys know how to throw a party!!
    Last edited by Reesy; 4th July 2012 at 16:58.

Status
    I think we should get Mum to Drive a lap in the Polo too, now THAT would be cool.

I can see it now down the pub....

''Have you driven the Nurburgring?''

''No?''

''Dude, even my MUM has driven the Ring!''

www.badger5.co.uk

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bigal 1 View Post
    Maybe some strong drugs and a bag over her head.
    what you do in your spare time is your own business - :D
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    I think we should get Mum to Drive a lap in the Polo too, now THAT would be cool.

I can see it now down the pub....

''Have you driven the Nurburgring?''

''No?''

''Dude, even my MUM has driven the Ring!''
    Some people were even too frightened to run their car up the strip at inters!
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread