Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Cheers RST, I've not written up a spec list for the car for a very long time, as it's just too long!

woohoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

That's a scary number of posts all about my million mile 14 year old FWD hatch back :p

Finally!

68924674.jpg

I have rods, I have a low mileage agu for the build, things can get started!

Reactions: Danman1
can't WAIT stacey! Sadly, I refuse to rush and bodge it though, so I'll be having the head done properly by Bill with new supertech valves and guides, and that's not cheap at all!

Then I'll clean up the block and have it honed, new rings, and probably main bearings as well as the bigends I got with the kit.

Whilst it's out I'll hve my diff fitted into another box as well, as this noisey first gear terrifies me!

Whole kit man :) just need the head done, nnew rings, and an oil pump an we can get building!

Did the best mod to date today....

edad23e5.jpg

Colour coded air freshener!!!!

Have you got a gear box yet? And do you still have that k04 adapter ring for the tip?

What gearbox are you planning on? And how much power are you expecting

I've got a new low mileage 02J box neru, I'll rebuild that and put my Quaife ATB in it, so the same as the current box really.

Power wise the plan is to settle on 330bhp, but it'd be nice to do a few runs to see what it can do, and see if it can equal Wellys 344bhp on this turbo :)

Grrrrr....!!

Subframe is moving again.

Only under extreme conditions, hitting bbumps under WOT in 2nd here it wheel hops, and braking over rough sections of road where it jars the car a bit. Can hear the ssubframe moving and feel it through your feet as well!

Anyone got any info on solid subframe mounts?

I don't Kev, no. What might these be?

I do vaguely recall TT subframes having extra mounting points at the back?

The TT convertible has 2 braces on the subframe but that subframe is only fitted to the convertible. The bushes are the same as the R32/S3/TT/Beetle RSI too.

Cheers for the advice chaps. I think I'll go for some solid bushes rather than uprated TT ones though.

I tried to tighten the subby up this morning, and the bolts are all already FT, yet it's still moving around, so solid bushes and new bolts seem like the answer.

Anyone got any details for solid bushes from anywhere in the UK? could do with some ASAP!

Federal RS-R's are now below the limit for road use, so I swapped back onto the SuperT's this morning and gave her a clean again :)

4f4bd6a6.jpg

37e29fec.jpg

220646ab.jpg

a90c1a3d.jpg

0b060d6c.jpg

Looks nice and mean that does mate! Love to see this monster in action!

Nick email hektor off he, he runs wot motorsport and sorted me out with sum 034 solid sub bushes, i bort the bolts aswell for less then £20 and they are sooo gud, you cant really tell when driving straight or normal but when booting it or cornering hard you can tell they are their.

Reactions: HEKTOR
Nick email hektor off here.

Already on it Dani (Y) I remembered you mentioned them, so searched and found the thread :)

Just need to sort out some payment details and the mounts will be on their way to me :)

Whilst I'm at it, I'm also going to fit some poly castor correction bushes to the wishbones to sharpen up the handling a tad, and I noticed a tiny bit of play in a track rod end this morning when spanner checking things, so I'll replace the lot, bushes, subframe mounts, ball joints, and track rods and ends, and then have the alignment done :)

Haha gurd. Do you need the subframe bolt part numbers as they seem to have revised the part numbers? Also what you doing abot top mounts? Im undecided on weva or not to follow stacey or just buy solid ally ones!

Also if your rebushing the wishbone email andrew and get a set of defcon style inserts and but some 30mm poly bushes, indropped a ball as i had the ultra rare 30mm wishbones but thougt i may as well fit the new bushed wishbones had and sold my old ones for £200 lol.

I'll be getting the ground control top mounts like stacey when funds permit mate.

Does andrew make the defon style inserts with an offset hole for castor correction then? do you just buy the 30mm bushes from a normal supplier?

You seem to be a bit further down this road than me, so if you could PM me any details I'd be hugely grateful!

Do the defcon bush go into the normal 45mm gole to reduce it to 30mm, im unsure if the poly bushes will work with them, can you buy them in 30mm size? If aothey should work just the same as normal 45mm bushes!

Haha my suspension setup is like a shopping list, its the most setup s3 i know lol.

Im thinking about the ground control top mounta to tey and combat me destroying top mounts as the lcr ones ive got seem to have died after 8 momths of abuse and pot holed roads.

What I'm keen to know about Andrews inserts, is if the 30mm bush hole for mk1 TT bushes is central or offset.

If it's central, then it'll tighten things up but not alter geo at all.

if it's offset, it can be placed to increase CASTOR, which is the main advantage :)

Last edited:
What I'm keen to know about Andrews inserts, is if the 30mm bush hole for mk1 TT bushes is central or offset.

If it's central, then it'll tighten things up but not alter geo at all.

if it's offset, it can be placed to increase camber, which is the main advantage :)
if you want to increase the camber you can increase the size of the slots on the wishbones so that the ball joints have more adjustability.
unless you can find some 30mm offset bushes, you'l have to make do with central ones. the defcon inserts litterally just make the hole smaller, so you can fill them with whatever 30mm bush you want or require.

nooooooooooooooooooo. Defcon inserts are definitely offset! that's the whole idea of castor correction bushes!

the offset is nothing to do with the bush, it's all about the insert.

If you have a 45mm hole, and a 30mm bush, you can offset the 30mm bush by 7.5mm within the 45mm outter diameter

The defcon bushes are central, it wont alter the offest as they still retain the center of the hole theyll just tighten the handling up.

Well that's gay! I was certain it was defcon who made the offset system!Who is it that does the offset castor correction bushes then?

Super pro does eccentric ones, but they'd do castor rather than camber looking at where they sit?

Find SuperPro Parts for My Vehicle

Also, not sure if you saw on stacey's thread but I linked to h2sports mounts that you might be interested in. The only difference is you can't adjust camber and castor at the same time but probably less of an issue for you as you'd just want camber if it's track only I'd imagine. Tyre wear being less of an issue...

Argh. stupid typo last night. Sorry guys.

it's castor I want, all the way! LCR wishbones with the camber slots pulled right out has given me around 1.8 degrees camber, and a small increase in castor. I want to add eccentric rear bushes to increase the static castor a bit more, then add in GC top mounts to allow me to fine tune the camber and castor seperately.

Sam: I've seen the H2Sport topmounts, but after reading up about them both on the thread on vortex, it seems that the GC ones offer more adjustment, and more range of adjustment too, so I'm going to go with those. Thanks though :)

OK, so reading around I've clearly made a big **** up in understanding.....

Defon inserts are for the FRONT Bushes of the FRONT arms arnt they?

I thought for some reason that the defon inserts were for the rear bushes in the front arms, but reading on mod shack, I've totally cocked it up havn't I?

It's OK, before anyone else does it:

Double_Facepalm_by_ScotlandForLife.jpg

So, now that I've realised how stupid I am, the ultimate setup then, will be defon type inserts and 30mm poly bushes on the front of the arms, and something like the Super Pro eccentric rear bushes to increase castor.

Sorted.

That's a lot of money!" HAHA.

Haha wondered what you were on about last night mate but i was ****** so thought it was me lol. Yes the defcon bushes are for the front of the wishbone.

that's the problem, I was too :p

Looking now, I need defon style inserts with mk1 30mm front bushes, then some eccentric rear bushes as well.