My other car is a MINI!!!!
So, finally got a bit of time to work on this over the weekend, despite working until 4 on Saturday, I'm happy with that's been done.
Gearbox finished off saturday night, everything went back on nicely, and I did the final jobs this morning, refitting the driveshafts and putting it back on it's wheels.
Then it was time to start work on the cage!
I'll start by saying, a MASSIVE thanks to AndyP for his help (huge effort) today. Not only for being 10x better than me at welding and fabrication, but also for driving 35 miles to get here, to work hard from 9-7, Couldn't have done this without Andy at all. Top man.
After taking both the front and rear sections in and out, SEVERAL times each, we eventually found a way of getting both of them into the car at the same time.
It sounds stupid, but was seriously difficult to get it all into place. Took a good few hours just to wangle it in.
Finally though, it was near to it's final resting place:
Onto a bit of CAD (Cardboard aided design) to start making up the feet:
Boxes were cut and made up to sit under the feet, and when we were happy with them, Andy welded them up, ready for fitting:
First box in place, and ready for welding:
Second box in, and partly welded up:
Annoyingly, at this point, we ran out of gas for the welder, so had to stop welding for the day.
Moved onto making up the boxes for the front legs instead, ready to weld up next weekend:
I also noticed, once the cage was in, I couldn't open the glove box any more!
Being a DRT, this has to remain comfy to drive to Germany 600 miles from Cornwall, so I'm keeping the glovebox, electric windows, aircon, and stereo.
5 minutes with a grinder and a stanley knife, and the glovebox opened again, even if it does look a bit ghetto.
Finally, it's not yet finished, but I have a roll cage