AH FabricationsEM Tuning
Page 133 of 146 FirstFirst ... 3383123126127128129130131132133134135136137138139140143 ... LastLast
Results 5,281 to 5,320 of 5817
Like Tree1062Likes

Thread: Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    What a day,some interesting cars and always good to see a friendly face albeit on your ass at 140 mph on the back straight

Bloody Sunday drivers getting in the way again!
    voorhees, bigal 1 and BYD like this.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    great picture though, BigAl driving in that one
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

Down under

Status
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_ View Post
    Have you driven the D03Gs on the road? I'm debating whether to sling mine on as it's my daily (for now) and my AD08s are nearly gone. Obviously they'll wear quick and will be crap in standing water but who drives quick in the rain on the road anyhow? I got them cheap so figured I might as well?

Sorry mate, I missed this one somehow!

We've done a few thousand road miles on the 03G's, and I've got to be honest, they're really impressive. Wear hasn't been an issue so far, ours are still almost like new, and on a SOAKING wet Spa they held up really well too!

If you can afford to wear them out on the road over time, then go for it! it's not like you guys get that much rain anyway!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down under

Status
    Cool, I'll chuck them on then. Cheers! I got them cheap so might as well get some use out of them.

Nice shots of the car. Be good to see the vids when they're done.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

2nd Gear

Status
    What a day, what a good bunch of guys, what a good organization at Bedford, ( nice people as well, very professional) what a good track and the car wasn't bad either. It appears we have sorted the brakes out at last, they were excellent, At the end of a session I tested the temperature of the discs with the ali bells some 200c less than the rotors. I think that is impressive. When these pads and rotors wear out the replacement 32mm wide rotors and uprated fluid with extra cooling ducts should be the. You Know What. All in all a cracking day. We will definitely be going back.
    voorhees and Prawn like this.

Status
    Some cracking shots on here, under the file 'black audi aee' on the left hand side

Javelin Bedford 17.03.14

Status

RobinJI and Timmy96 like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    That last photo, it says it all. This was the only corner, with wee prawn at the wheel, when initially I was apprehensive. If you read my face, it says, how in the name of hell can a A3 corner at that speed.
    voorhees likes this.

Status
    Haha, there was one corner, where we were REALLY flat and using LOTS of kerb on exit, where you kept suggesting I backed off a tad

wasn't going to happen

2nd Gear

Status
    I DO remember, but eventually got used the it. I'm OLD.

2nd Gear

Status
    Bearing in mind, I drive a 1.9 TDI Avant, (which has less acceleration than my Kona, ( King Kikapu, (Easton Ultralite)), it takes a spot of adjusting to the track car and its performance. (Excuses, I know) But it does take a few laps to settle down. (More excuses) . However, now that the beast is on song, we hope to do quite a few track days this year. So hopefully, more honing will be done.
    Prawn and Lavis89 like this.

Status
    A few laps of the South/East/North circuit from later on the day, filmed on our own camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWic...RLFjfGZaZZ_YtQ
    jojo, Alex C and Timmy96 like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Good stuff, no point having a car if you're afraid to drive it, even if it's a Porsche

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    A few laps of the South/East/North circuit from later on the day, filmed on our own camera

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWic...RLFjfGZaZZ_YtQ
    Is that a shift light I see Nick? You pro racer you!

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorshprungdork View Post
    Good stuff, no point having a car if you're afraid to drive it, even if it's a Porsche
    You be surprised how drivers in expensive metal just like to bomb it down the straights at full pelt, but cruise around in the corners.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Is that a shift light I see Nick? You pro racer you!

Sure is mate Been in there well over a year!
    jojo likes this.

Status
    I'd like to spend more time on the suspension really, it's SO stable now it's crazy, but it does understeer a touch in the mid and low speed corners, but gives LOADS of confidence to pile into the higher speed corners without fear. the earlier GT track had a few more really fast corners that wern't in the south/east/north track in the vid above.

I'm somewhere between stiffening the rear ARB, or softening the front, or perhaps both, and playing with damping to make it a bit more lively.

It used to be a nightmare sliding around everywhere, but now it's just so stable, i could afford to live dangerously and make it rotate a bit more on request!

2nd Gear

Status
    Sure is mate Been in there well over a year!
    There is a bunch of lights in the right hand corner. I thought they were for external air temps. Blue for cold, red for hot. Thanks for the pointer, they could come in handy.
    jojo likes this.

RIP S3dave

Status
    how were temps on track dude?
    water/egt
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    Water peaked at 91 degrees, compared to over 110 at ADI, so I think the rad is doing it's job very well.

EGT peaked at 861 degrees. Not TOO bad, but that is on low boost. Couldn't use high boost as it's too lean to risk. From road testing and track previously, Track EGT's have been to 904 at the highest back at ADI. I'd be happy to have it tamed back to a more sensible / useable ~360bhp to keep EGT's in check when the map is next looked at.

The brakes were absolutely fantastic The floating setup with your bells has really done wonders. very impressed there!
    Vex182 likes this.

RIP S3dave

Status
    300bhp on actuator level?
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    That sort of region Bill, this is the plot from before it was mapped:

It's been on various dynos and always seems to make 290-300 on actuator, which is 1 bar.

Status
    Some random pictures.

I went on a high speed train yesterday, first time. clocked 143mph. Very bizzare on a rattler:

And whilst walking around China-Town on Bobs stag do at about 1am, we stumbled across these beasts:

This was awesome:

Crazy R33 GTR with underbonnet lighting :S

Anyway, enough of that.

it's been at least a month since Dad last bought some tyres. Thankfully, we bought these a while back, and I just picked them up from Bob this weekend:

BTCC 235/610 medium compound slicks

Literally like new, these have had SO little use:

Took the car out for a spin, all going well:

It seems that Bedford took it's toll on the drilled AP rotors, which were mint when they went on, but are now showing some pretty meaty cracks:

It looks alarming, but I'm told it's not actually an issue until these propogate further and start to join up, as the main structure of the disc is within the centre fins. So still a trackday or two left in them yet!

Status
    Some random pictures.

I went on a high speed train yesterday, first time. clocked 143mph. Very bizzare on a rattler:

And whilst walking around China-Town on Bobs stag do at about 1am, we stumbled across these beasts:

This was awesome:

Crazy R33 GTR with underbonnet lighting :S

Anyway, enough of that.

it's been at least a month since Dad last bought some tyres. Thankfully, we bought these a while back, and I just picked them up from Bob this weekend:

BTCC 235/610 medium compound slicks

Literally like new, these have had SO little use:

Took the car out for a spin, all going well:

It seems that Bedford took it's toll on the drilled AP rotors, which were mint when they went on, but are now showing some pretty meaty cracks:

It looks alarming, but I'm told it's not actually an issue until these propogate further and start to join up, as the main structure of the disc is within the centre fins. So still a trackday or two left in them yet!
    <tuffty/> likes this.

5th Gear

Status
    Will you be opting for drilled next time do you think?
    Do you find that the drilled add anything to the set up?
    Just out of interest.

2nd Gear

Status
    Hi Daz, In my opinion multi grooved is better. Drilled to have a tenancy to crack under extreme conditions ,as shown. We are very heavy on the brakes, more so than most. Multi grooved also clean the pads or so the theory goes.
    Prawn likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Some people argue that drilled, dissipates the heat build up and this may be so, but with Bills ali bells, vented rotors and air ducts I would not choose drilled over grooved.

5th Gear

Status
    Ahh ok. Was just wondering seeing so many mixed views on these. Would make sense for you guys to avoid. You both done plenty of track days and lots of experience which i guess is why your so hard on the brakes?
    be good to see how they hold up grooved only.

2nd Gear

Status
    If you look at that last vid, just after we passed the Carrera RS, you will see a board stating 150m to the chicane, then 100m and then 50m, we were braking ,down from 147mph (143mph for me) at the 50m board and into the chicane at 105mph ish. That gives an idea of how good the brakes are. Bill's floating bells have really come home for us on this one. Also, which is obvious, more track time/practice and light fuel loads compared to a full tank makes a big difference. Plus our speedo over reads by about 5/6mph at higher speeds.
    Last edited by bigal 1; 24th March 2014 at 12:01.
    badger5 likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Like all sports, there are so many variables. We have had people say that certain braking products are the best available and they have never experienced fade or degradation. We have tried several of these and ALL have failed under the arduous conditions we put them through. All of these products have not shown any adverse results under hard road use. Hard track use is something else. We now have The best setup to date.

2nd Gear

Status
    Is it anything to do with the two of you driving, i.e. car more on track than off and cooling down?? Just a thought!

2nd Gear

Status
    I don't quite understand. Are you suggesting that the more the brakes are used, the better they become.

6th Gear

Status
    think he's proposing that as the car stays out on the track for a longer period of time when compared to if it were just the one of you on a track day then the disks suffer from more abuse and suffer from adverse effects than they might otherwise do?
    Prawn likes this.
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Status
    that's how I understood the qeustion Alex.

it could well be a point, definitely. I can't imagine too many race cars are asked to cover 240 miles in a day, and although we do do cooling laps after each session, it certainly doesn't sit in the pits cooling off for long. brakes and tyres are still up to temp as soon as we head out!

Speaking of which, Jonny has edited and uploaded the first of his clips from Bedford, somewhere mid afternoon Im guessing (You can hear me comment we'd done 168miles at the point we went out)

Jason (Vorhees) as passenger, low boost for the whole session, lovely dry conditions

One out lap, then about 2 and a half flying laps:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6js5KoqVc

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-6js5KoqVc

2nd Gear

Status
    We do a lot of track time, but the problems we have had with other setups is they JUST fail to work and we have to come off. ADI last year was an example. The brakes faded and vibrated uncontrollably after about two laps. This current setup was used very hard and no problems whatsoever, apart from the rotors which we knew were past their suggested lifespan. We used these rotors to test if the setup worked. We did not want to spend some £340/50 on new rotors if they did not work. So now it's uprated rotors and hopefully an even more foolproof and reliable system.
    Airs likes this.

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    I can't imagine too many race cars are asked to cover 240 miles in a day
    There's a bunch of race cars that are often found in Le Mans bombing about Circuit de la Sarthe around mid June

You may want to pop over purely for the grid walk to see what they use and get some ideas

I will be there this year and I'll be poking about all the aero/braking parts for some inspiration (dreaming) on what to do to my car
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Lavis89 on Facebook
    ^ Is that the fia world enduro race? I'm going to the Silverstone leg of it in April
    2001 1.8T Quattro Sport 89k covered ARY engine.
    Remapped at Badger 5, 213bhp - 235lb/ft torque.
    HS2K cone, FMDV008, Silicon TIP, 18" RS4 (reps), AP coilovers, Catch can, n249 bypass, Toyosport 3" Downpipe/Decat, S3 Front brakes, Polyflexed Dogbone, S3dave adjustable tie bars

Soon to be done: SAI delete, Install the toyosport FMIC i have kicking about in my living room

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavis89 View Post
    ^ Is that the fia world enduro race? I'm going to the Silverstone leg of it in April
    Yeah it is dude - 6 races across the world...24 Le Mans being part of it.

I wonder if they'd let a certain black A3 racecar into the LM GTE am class as a guest car at Silverstone

Judging by the videos I've seen so far you need some more stiff competition out on track Nick! lol
    Lavis89 likes this.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

Status
    haha, Cheers Kris (assumption on spelling based on username!)

I have competition for sure, I had some great fun laps with Nige in his mk2 ABF turbo, and a few of the m3 bunch on Northloop are seriously fast too!

we'll be going back to Bedford with Northloop shortly, and hopefully I'll have full boost available by then

Timing isn't allowed at all on trackdays, but from looking at the video time stamps it looks like the two flying laps were both around 2:47 region with traffic on both. a friend on northloop was doing 2:46 in his very nicely prepped track m3 on the day Westy was there back in 2012, so that's a good indication.
    kwistof likes this.