Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

the delivery when Welly had it at 340bhp was just too savage, even when I went in it at 300bhp on the ported ko4 manifold it was unreal. with FWD I think it needs taming a tad!

My thinking is, if it can make 300lbft+ with 22-24psi of boost trailing to 20-22 at the redline and make 340bhp still, it should be able to EASILY hold 18psi dead flat across the whole rev range, giving a really decent torque curve, and epic top end power :)

Neil: Orange was pretty cool, but this clearly looks far more evil and purposeful :) Might get some lairy orange wheels again one day.

What colour would you do the cage? Black or orange?

Neil: Orange was pretty cool, but this clearly looks far more evil and purposeful :) Might get some lairy orange wheels again one day.

What colour would you do the cage? Black or orange?

I just like the idea of bright track cars. My wheels are going to look ridiculous but that's what it's all about.

I would do the cage orange to break up all the black, but you do whatever you fancy mate.

That's what I'm currently thinking too, orange cage just to break it up a little, and stand out a bit more!

I like the idea of bright lairy track cars too, but somehow, the orange just didn't work for me in such a mass colour on the TT rims, and the vinyl looked a bit chav. I like it with subtle orange hints now though, and with the cage done orange too I think it'll look awesome.

Just waiting on the sale of something to hopefully fund the cage :)

Just waiting on the sale of something to hopefully fund the cage :)

What like, a kidney ;)

I really like the stickers of all the tracks that have been done in the car. Do you know what I mean? For every track you do you should get an orange sticker made up. Not sure where would be best to put them though.

Orange cage orange cage Orange cage :)

Your cars sweet man I love it!

You Obv have good knowledge about setting up a track car, so would you say that 17s with 225 45 profile tires offer better grip and feel than say 18 inch 225 40 profile tires? Obv you got to find a tire that doesnt flex too much, but that isn't so low profile that it just gives up and slides. You do tend.to see a lot if track cars withfairly hefty profile 888s, but maybe their sidewalls are thicker than your average tire

the 17's seem to offer a bit more feel than the 18's, they've got a slightly taller sidewall, so are a little more forgiving than a 40 profile on an 18, plus, keeping the rims smaller helps reduce unsprung weight, which is always a concern too.

The other big thing to consider is price, how many track focused cars use 18's? in 225/45/17 you've got all the current clio cup range, and the E36 and E46 BMW's too, so prices for a 17'' track tyre are much more reasonable, and there are loads available second hand too.

the track tyres are that much stiffer in the sidewall that using a 225/45/17 is no less stiff notably than a 225/40/18 road tyre. I can imagine a track tyre in that size would be bone shaking!

You've also got the scope on a 17 to go up to a 235/40/17, which I'll probably end up doing next when we've got 8J rims

Yeh, its a tricky game wheel and tire set up.

I'm currently a little unhappy about the weight of my wheels, and want a change to be honest, so think I'd rather have a tire with more give rather than one that gets worn to feck because its so stiff.

Good call Karl, I know what you mean about weight, these TT rims weigh a ton!

But when the turbo came up for grabs, it seemed like a better idea than some light weight wheels, so the money went that way instead.

At least I can practise kerb bashing with these monster rims and not worry too much!

I may (or may not) have purchased Danes CR ko4 hybrid, and an XS power stainless manifold that's going to be modified Welly style to get it to fit :)

Just the MAF housing and injectors to sort mainly :)

Ah yes, the dent! We spoke about that, then didn't really come to a conclusion.

I'll PM you now Bill

Got a few little jobs to do this weekend, will be fitting a new thermostat as mine seems to have stuck open again. I also need the wheel rebalancing annoyingly, as I seem to have a terrible wobble at idle.

Other than that, she's pretty much ready for Hullavington next Friday :) I can't wait!

Got a few little jobs to do this weekend, will be fitting a new thermostat as mine seems to have stuck open again. I also need the wheel rebalancing annoyingly, as I seem to have a terrible wobble at idle.

Other than that, she's pretty much ready for Hullavington next Friday :) I can't wait!

Will you be mounting the iPhone for some Harry's lap timer action at Hullavington?

Hell yes I will :) that's the brilliant thing about HLT, you can log data on any track in the world, I even setup a test 'track' around my block to get used to using the app.

Hopefully Bill is working his Magic on the XS manifold at some point this week, if he has a spare few minutes! And I'm picking up a knackered AEB head to use for mocking up on my bench :)

Hell yes I will :) that's the brilliant thing about HLT, you can log data on any track in the world, I even setup a test 'track' around my block to get used to using the app.

Hopefully Bill is working his Magic on the XS manifold at some point this week, if he has a spare few minutes! And I'm picking up a knackered AEB head to use for mocking up on my bench :)

Can you setup your own tracks on HLT then? I'll have to enter my test track ;)

yea, it doesn't save tracks so to speak, only GPS start/stop points.

When you get the app, it had the Bridge and Gantry at the Ring saved in it already, but for all others you just go to the start line and press 'set' then drive a lap, and it plots your course. When you next pass the stop/start point it logs that as one complete lap, and away you go!

the data overlay on the vid is processed afterwards on the phone

believe it or not, I use the cheapest of the cheap windscreen mounts Dave.

the key is in HOW you mount it. Every mount I've ever used has given me really bad vibrations when mounted free standing.

I mount it in such a way that the bottom of the phone is under tension against the top of the dash pod, that way it can't just vibrate randomly.

Seems to work pretty well too:

YouTube - ‪A3 1.8T nurburgring 08:40 BTG HD‬‏

If you look at my related vids on youtube, there's a clip of andy driving the swift sport rental car.; it's filmed with the same mount, but with nothing to brace the phone against, and it's SUPER shaky!

After a bit of a chat with Dad last night, we've decided that we don't really want to be heading to the Ring again without a roll cage, for obvious safety reasons.

it was OK with out on the first few trips, as the speeds involved wern't so high, but we we're getting quicker and quicker, we've decided that a cage is a pretty important addition.

Hopefully ordering it this week, to get it fitted before september

can't wait!

After a bit of a chat with Dad last night, we've decided that we don't really want to be heading to the Ring again without a roll cage, for obvious safety reasons.

it was OK with out on the first few trips, as the speeds involved wern't so high, but we we're getting quicker and quicker, we've decided that a cage is a pretty important addition.

Hopefully ordering it this week, to get it fitted before september

can't wait!

Good idea. Have you got a spare lid you can bring with you to the ring? Otherwise I'll try and borrow one for any laps I passenger in your car.

Yea man, we have 2 lids that are colour coded to match the roof and roll cage in the Mini :p Open face of course for in car use.

they live in the back of the A3 now, so there's always one there.

Cage should be good, as it's fairly comprehensive. X brace in the main hoop, rear diagonal, V bars over the roof square, and I'll be adding X'd door bars too and a harness bar

Take it you will be wearing helmets with the cage then if your not allready or you gonna chance it with padding on the cage? lol

Oh yeh just noticed the lid comments above and didnt click....A wise move :). Maybe abit sweaty on a hot german summers day but best safe i guess.

I've never done a single lap of the Ring without a helmet in my car, and of all the pax laps I've done only 1 was without helmet, due to being 5 up in a V5 toledo for a sight seeing lap from a local guy :) Even without a cage I always wear my lid.

I'd never consider going fast without a lid, not only is it safer, but i also find it helps me focus.

OMP 6 point cage ordered :racer: with all the extra bracing over the standard one (X brace on main hoop, rear diagonal, harness bar, and X brace over the roof square above drivers head) , and double door bars, and 6m of orange cage padding too :)

going to be interesting fitting this badboy!!!!!!

Reactions: MUSH
Sorry to be a thicky...
Whats this HLT app?
For an iphone?
I would love to mount my fone ( iphone 3gs) to the screen and have a timing app.
Prawn... people like you upset me ! only joking, I love the car !
The colour of the cage ... a lad i know who has entered time attack was going to do his bright yellow but opted for black as he said it may catch his eye too much when driving...

Sorry to be a thicky...
Whats this HLT app?
For an iphone?
I would love to mount my fone ( iphone 3gs) to the screen and have a timing app.
Prawn... people like you upset me ! only joking, I love the car !
The colour of the cage ... a lad i know who has entered time attack was going to do his bright yellow but opted for black as he said it may catch his eye too much when driving...

It's "Harry's Lap Timer" Paul. It's an iPhone app. Check it out

The pro option or the basic one?
It looks very indepth...
Am i likely to be able to suss it out?
Why do all the good cars never happen near me !
mind i would probably be round looking for ideas all the time if they did !

Harrys lap timer is REALLY easy to use, I was worried, but it's so simple!

Really looking forward to to fitting the cage, it's the final parting what I consider requirements for a proper track car

Ah, that will teach me to jump in... i bought the cheap version last night.
I will have a little play and maybe see about getting the real version.

haha, shame! I don't THINK the standard version can do overlays the the full video stuff :( you can buy upgrades for the standard version, but it doesn't make it the pro version still, so you're probably best off just buying the pro version instead :)

It really is WELL worth it though, not only does it give you lap times and data plots, but it gives you Vmax and Vmin for every corner and every straight, indicated G force on the bends, and you can also setup sectors around a lap.

For example, it's got 5 sector points saved for a lap of the Ring, so you can see which sectors your fast on, and which need work.

My best complete BTG lap of the ring was 08:40.13, but by taking my 5 best sectors from 3 different laps my theoretical best is 08:34, but I never mananged an 08:34 lap due to traffic on various sections