Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Page 125 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2575115118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132135 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 5,000 of 5474
Like Tree936Likes

Thread: Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    All input is good man

the Original plan was for something similar to the skirts shown on that E30 (?), but further thinking has changed plans a little.

By adding a large front splitter, and THEN a deep vertical side skirt, you're almost totally sealing off air from getting in under the car on the move.

This would almost certainly create a pretty epic ground effect, like Nige has, and give incredible handling on a perfect track, but it also narrows the margin for error if you were to lose that ground effect for any reason at speed.

if you ran a skirt that was 20mm off the ground, then went over a 20mm bump and the car lifted, your 20mm gap would double to 40mm, 100% extra, so the amount of air able to come in would in theory double momentarily and you'd potentially lose a lot of your down force.

if you ran at 100mm, the same 20mm bump would only give you a 20% increase in the gap, not nearly so drastic.

i've noticed from a few clips that Nige has had fairly 'interesting moments' when he's hit bumps at speed, such as around churches at Thruxton at 120mph trying a new line, it let go in a pretty big way and he stopped about 200m down the track and 50m into the infield - rather lucky.

For that reason, I think what will happen, is that the flat underside I create will continue outwards, stopping air on the side of the car from curling round under the car, but probably no physical vertical skirt due to the potential risks.
    S3Alex and bigal 1 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    I can smell one of these on the horizon whether you say so or not lol.

http://www.hayestrailersales.com/ima...iler%20004.jpg
    Airs likes this.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Certified S3 Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Prawn had this discussion earlier on another forum.

And concluded that when he has to take the car to the track on a trailer he will regard it as utterly ruined haha.

I am trying to imagine the under floor aero, and will do some googling to further my knowledge. My gasp on aerodynamics is minimal, which goes for 97% of people.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    I can smell one of these on the horizon whether you say so or not lol.

http://www.hayestrailersales.com/ima...iler%20004.jpg
    You're not the first person to say that, many people are surprised that we still drive it to all events.

Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Prawn had this discussion earlier on another forum.
    I sure did

Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post

When it reaches a point where I can't take it out on a sunday afternoon, and enjoy it with the windows down, I'll consider it ruined!

In the last 5 days I've driven it 1200 miles, 320 of those miles on track, and aside from a loose CV boot issue it hasn't missed a beat, it's been such a reliable car for me, I just can't like it enough right now.
    Lavis89 likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
    it would be NICE to trailer it to track days for sure, so long as it wasn't forced upon us.

Trailers are big money though, and our trailer is Mini sized only, saxo at a push!

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    it would be NICE to trailer it to track days for sure, so long as it wasn't forced upon us.

Trailers are big money though, and our trailer is Mini sized only, saxo at a push!
    Not to mention you also need a vehicle up to the task of towing it!
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Status
    what, you mean the Fiesta Zetec S i've got coming isn't up to the task of towing the A3?

Dads TDI would probably tow it (until we came to a Hill), but it lives 200 miles away, so no huge advantage there!

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    Not to mention you also need a vehicle up to the task of towing it!
    + a licence if the towing vehicle, the trailer and car/vehicle your towing totals over 3.5 tonne plus the trailer needs to be 750kg or less.

Or you may already have all that gubbins if you passed your test some many years ago (pre 1997 IIRC)
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Aero inspiration.

The most badass car ever photographed?
    i NEED to know more about this!
    that looks like an old 5 banger in there longitudinally

6th Gear

Status
    Dont let the aero take over though. Its not like it NEEDS it. You dont race in hillclimbs or Time Attack so its not required. Im guessing its more for your own interest and to see if you can make it work for minimal effort and cost?

Personally i think what you`ve done is plenty. Possible look at futher weight reductions where possible. Any more left to do to the chassis and then a PROPER geo/corner weighting session (which you`ve mentioned recently so good)
    Prawn and Westy like this.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Dont let the aero take over though. Its not like it NEEDS it. You dont race in hillclimbs or Time Attack so its not required. Im guessing its more for your own interest and to see if you can make it work for minimal effort and cost?

Personally i think what you`ve done is plenty. Possible look at futher weight reductions where possible. Any more left to do to the chassis and then a PROPER geo/corner weighting session (which you`ve mentioned recently so good)
    You're right, it's fast as fook already (for me!), and handles a treat now, with the wing alone it wasn't quite right, and I feel with the splitter alone it wouldn't have been quite right. Any further additions to the underside to focus on getting air out smoothly will act on the whole chassis and underside so shouldn't effect balance at all, just an all round increase.

the aero is more about having something to fiddle with, and something low cost to experiment with as well, given how little the splitter cost to produce, the gain / cost ratio makes it quite possibly the best thing we've ever done to the car.

Full geo and corner weighting was discussed with Robin on Saturday, and will take place over winter when I'm 100% sure that all changes to ride height, aero, and such things are finalised

Down under

Status
    I'm thinking of going to the WTAC here this weekend. They take it to a new level...

StaceyS3 and JudderMan like this.
    Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

6th Gear

Status
    I love Time Attack stuff. Its utterly rediculus and insane but its so so epic at the same time. The money that goes into it is silly though and it costs a fair bit to take part hence why its mostly companies that do it.

Neutral

Status
    Haven't been on here for a good 6 months but now I'm getting my A3 back on the road I thought I'd pop by, Prawn I thought the car couldn't get any better but I've just caught up on it all all it looks brilliant, it has got to be te best A3 in existence and its a huge credit to all the hard work you have put into it! Keep it up
    bigal 1 likes this.

6th Gear

Status
    Aero inspiration.

The most badass car ever photographed?
    Just to drop this in there... They've just posted a video on Facebook of this driving on first role out and its FCN EPIC

5th Gear

Status
    link ?
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

6th Gear

Status
    Vorshprungdork and welshy_s3 like this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Looks and sounds fantastic.

Cawsey

Status
    That looks awesome hopefully more footage will be uploaded soon

AMD stage 2 map, BBS LM 19s, 20mm Momo Spacers, Black Diamond Discs, Ferrodo ds2500 pads, Milltek Exhaust, Pipewerx downpipe and Decat, Custom FMIC, 4 bar Fuel Pressure Regulator, Forge 007p, Forge short shift, Forge DV relocation ,Forge TIP, S2000 Filter, Sachs Race Clutch, Sachs Light weight Single mass flywheel, ForgeOil catch tank, De baffled Charge pipe & Polished, Polished Inlet Manifold, N249 Delete, PCV Delete, Red Engine Mounts, Forge Boost hoses, Angel Eye Headlights, LCR Splitter,

Status
    1500 miles, 2 trackdays, and not a mark on it.

Then the lads at the local carwash go and break the air damn on the splitter!

Great - thanks lads. the one time I decided to go back there for a quick clean, they denied it was them, but it wasn't broken when I left 5 minutes before, and there were bits of their yellow wash mits hanging on the broken edges.

No cost involved, got loads of spare material for the dam, but it's a bloody nuisance! The air dam and the arch fence are broken.

Status
    On the plus side, it still looks cool, so it's OK

Vex182 likes this.

Status
    Went out with Tony this morning to take a few pictures, Will add more later and a link to his page, but as a starter, I appear to have been accidentally caught in this shot looking unquestionably like an untrustworthy youth just as I thought I was getting old

Status
    So, this morning I went out for a drive with Tony from Deutsch Erbaut: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Deuts...994053?fref=ts / Deutsch Erbaut

We found a few cool locations, and took a few pics of the cars together, Tony has a lovely Leon that I've done a bit of work on with him at various times. Was fun cruising around in 2 similar cars

really good fun, thanks Tony And didn't use as much fuel as normal car activities

Full shoot can be found here: Deutsch Erbaut > Audi & Leon Track Car Shoot
    Last edited by Prawn; 21st October 2013 at 07:46.
    Vex182 likes this.

Down under

Status
    Saw this at the weekend, pretty epic front aero setup

Handling mods++. GTX30 soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Status
    Probably a little much for me though Sam

Here's a lfew little clips strung together that Dad took whilst I was out on track at Combe:

ADI 2013 clips - A3 track car - YouTube
    Sandra likes this.

Status
    ​Car sounds awesome Nick.
    Smaller (Local) Events
    Audi-Sport.net online magazine.
    Audi-sport.net Lanyards & Stickers
    To find Audi-Sport-Net members with VCDS check out the MAP.

2nd Gear

Status
    And all on a Sony 7.2 mega-pixel hand-held camera. Just like a few shots from from Spa to follow later.

1st Gear

Status
    Glad you enjoyed the day mate

Few favorites of mine (in fact most of them have come out really well)

2001 Seat Leon Cupra. 291bhp 13.4 1/4 mile @ 108mph.

Click the picture below for my build thread.

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bigal 1 View Post
    And all on a Sony 7.2 mega-pixel hand-held camera.
    Sure?

Make: Canon
    Model Canon: EOS 500D
    Lens Model: EF-S18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

Status
    He means the little video clip, Canon is Tonys camera
    ScottD3 likes this.

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    He means the little video clip, Canon is Tonys camera
    ahhh.
    I had to double check cause the pics are good and I was really surprised at first thinking it was a little sony camera. lol
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

Status
    Would be a miracle Even BBD isn't that good

Reverse Gear

Status
    just read all this thread epic build m8. this had inspired me to go tfsi turbo in the mk1 keep up the good work m8

2nd Gear

Status
    Hey, where are the clips from Eau Rouge, (with my sony hand held 7.2 megapixel camera.) !!!

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiebennett81 View Post
    I love this shot. So Motorsport.
    Prawn and StaceyS3 like this.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    It was taken with a Sony 7.2 megapixel, hand held camera. ???

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy View Post
    I love this shot. So Motorsport.
    I DESPISE it...out of complete jealousy
    Westy, StaceyS3 and Lavis89 like this.

Status
    Hey, where are the clips from Eau Rouge, (with my sony hand held 7.2 megapixel camera.) !!!
    It was taken with a Sony 7.2 megapixel, hand held camera. ???
    Enough about the bloomin' camera already, How much wine have you had BBD? I'll get the clips up when I've had a chance to edit them together and upload them from the laptop

Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    I DESPISE it...out of complete jealousy
    Cheers SK. I'll be the jealous one soon enough, winter is comming, the season of wheelspin from November - March! Joy!
    superkarl likes this.

Neutral

Status
    What wheels are they Prawn?
    On the plus side, it still looks cool, so it's OK