EM TuningSky Insurance
Page 122 of 146 FirstFirst ... 2272112115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129132 ... LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,880 of 5801
Like Tree1060Likes

Thread: Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    This looks excellent considering it's home made. I was expecting it to be a lot more clunky looking but you've done a superp job!
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Cheers chaps

Will hopefully get some day light pictures tomorrow once it's back down on the deck, it's designed to by 75mm off the ground, hopefully I'll be close
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    Would love to get a measurement of downforce it gives and the wing. hhm cornerweight scales infront of a couple of dyno fans? lol.

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

1st Gear

Status
    A couple of MAP sensors, a 5v source, a volt meter and a bit of maths should be able to give a rough idea of the down-force you're getting. Either that or get all posh put some strain gauges in the supports.

Looks awesome Nick, nice job. Only thing I'd suggest would be to add a curved piece into the bottom of the joint between the sides of the splitter and the upright bits enclosing the wheels, so as to add a fillet into that corner. Should help keep the turbulence down a touch. Nothing to back that up, it just makes a lot of sense in my head, and should be pretty damn easy to do.
    1.8 20v turbo converted '88 Scirocco - ASN Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Makes sense tbh. Adding in what Robin says could be beneficial. Bit like an additional cannard at the bottom so air isnt hitting what would be basically a wall. Air is going to be pushing against the end fence causing a little airbrake but adding in an angled piece would make the air push down on it creating more downforce and also allows airflow to be directed over the wheel well hopefully.

Or im babbling sh!te lol

Cactus green 8L S3 - B5 TIP + Jetex, Revised 007p, R32 rear ARB, AP Coilovers, Compbrake rear arms, Full Powerflexed dogbone.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    Makes sense tbh. Adding in what Robin says could be beneficial. Bit like an additional cannard at the bottom so air isnt hitting what would be basically a wall. Air is going to be pushing against the end fence causing a little airbrake but adding in an angled piece would make the air push down on it creating more downforce and also allows airflow to be directed over the wheel well hopefully.

Or im babbling sh!te lol
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking, it should help prevent stagnation, and give the airflow over that area a defined direction, hopefully reducing turbulence, without reducing down-force. Plus, it'd be really easy and wouldn't take very long to do, gotta be worth a shot surely?
    1.8 20v turbo converted '88 Scirocco - ASN Build Thread

Status
    Nah that makes sense.

I cut the airdam out to fit first off and it fitted the bumper really nicely, but now that it's all fitted finally there's a bit of a gap at the back edge where the ends don't quite follow the curve.

I'm thining about making a new air dam that widens out at the bottom that could effectively flow into the side panels almost.

When I attached the vertical panels to the arch, I left the little return lip on the back edge of the bumper, so the panels are actually angled back by about 15 degees too so it's not a sheer brick wall for the air, just almost :P

All work in progress, but I'm happy with how it's looking so far.

the big test though is going to be getting it down on the floor tonight and seeing exactly what height it sits at.

Measurements suggest 75mm clearance, but that is likely to drop to 60-65 on track with the slicks fitted!

Time will tell i guess, will be taking some spare thread bar, jig saw, and a drill to Spa incase we need lunch time alternations!
    Rainbird likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Gear

Status
    I've just fitted a fibrglass front splitter to my A3, wish I had seen this first!
    Prawn likes this.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    will be taking some spare thread bar, jig saw, and a drill to Spa incase we need lunch time alternations!
    OR lunch time repairs! Take cable ties too
    Prawn likes this.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

2nd Gear

Status
    who's the elf.

4th Gear

Status
    You going to make a complete flat floor eventually Prawn, a la Mr Pinder style? A nice big fat diffuser would finish the rear off
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

5th Gear

Status
    We have a nice wind tunnel at work but they don't rent by the hour looks a very professional job .....hats off to ya
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis583 View Post
    You going to make a complete flat floor eventually Prawn, a la Mr Pinder style? A nice big fat diffuser would finish the rear off
    You're damn right I am

New boots went on tonight too

Lewis583, bigal 1 and phil miller like this.

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    Shame about the trip to go and get meth, and me puking. Flat shifting, DSG beating Renaults FTW.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

4th Gear

Status
    you boys need to be in rainy Devon, got a huge supply of meth here
    ​Wish Rachel would let me have my TDI mk5 back

RIP S3dave

Status
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    is that a wood worm Bill

Fanx

6th Gear

Status
    termite lol

6th Gear

Status
    So anyway unless i missed it which i dont think i did?

The details about the box were quickly brushed aside and not really explained. I take it it has a diff in it? Did you buy it with the diff already fitted or have to buy a new diff to put in it?

RIP S3dave

Status
    is that a wood worm Bill

Fanx
    lol it is..
    you are making yourself a Morgan car now? yee olde woode car
    Classic.
    it could catch on.
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

Check out the ever Growing eBay Shop>
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Badger-5-LTD?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by badger5 View Post
    lol it is..
    you are making yourself a Morgan car now? yee olde woode car
    Classic.
    it could catch on.
    It could do you know

There is logic though.

Ebay motors run a plywood splitter in the BTCC:

And my car is build from 90% genuine ebay parts, so it made sense to stick with team spec
    jimmcgee likes this.

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel

Ebay motors run a plywood splitter in the BTCC:
    And my car is build from 90% genuine ebay parts, so it made sense to stick with team spec
    So a RWD conversion it is to stick with team spec? ;-) lol

I'm off to the BTCC on the 13th at Brands so I'll keep an eye out for any spare parts
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

4th Gear

Status
    Would be a good idea to fit some sacrificial "skid plates" to the underside of the splitter at the leading edge Prawn. Will prevent wear to the ply and they can be easily swappable, saves having to keep making new splitters
    Full VCDS

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason.s View Post
    So anyway unless i missed it which i dont think i did?

The details about the box were quickly brushed aside and not really explained. I take it it has a diff in it? Did you buy it with the diff already fitted or have to buy a new diff to put in it?
    You didn't miss it mate, I've just been crazy busy, kept meaning to write it up, then more happened!

So, as we all know, I blew an inner CV joint within 100 yards of R-tech on the new map.

I then went to Castle Combe and had a great time.

the next day, I test fitted my slicks, pictures on previous pages, and again here, because I like it:

I had a little drive around a private industrial area near me, opened the throttle just a tiny bit, once, and BANG.

Another CV dead. I think the one I got from niki was probably well past it's best, having been used on his 400bhp golf with Hoosier drag radials to wind it up.

! of the 3 rollers on the inner joint had collapsed, causing this:

Another dead CV - YouTube

So another shaft was fitted, AGAIN!

After that, I decided that travelling all the way to Belgium, and running the slicks at Spa, was probably going to result in more driveshaft failure.

A few phone calls to a few mates and various people, and I found a low mileage, late FZQ LCR gearbox for sale, fitted with a peloquin ATB LSD from Alex kerr at AKS. A deal was struck, and Mylo picked it up for me and brought it down to Clive at CN tuning in Bracknell for me.

A deal was done with Clive against some 6 speed parts and my old 5 speed box, and the agreed use of his workshop to do the conversion in the evenings after work, and everything was underway.

the only thing remaining was a clutch, another of the big reasons I'd been holding off going 6 speed previously.

As it happens, my mate Adam had a brand new 02M SMF kit with a 6 paddle ceramic plate, I made him a cheeky offer and he accepted, so that was done.

Now, I'll be honest, it's a techniclutch kit. their top of the range £550 'drag spec' kit. I know their reputation is questionable at times, but I have heard many good things as well as bad, and Westy has been running the next one 'down' from this for a long time in his 4wd torque monster, so I figured it was worth a punt.
    Westy, Jason.s and ReDBull like this.

Status
    Would be a good idea to fit some sacrificial "skid plates" to the underside of the splitter at the leading edge Prawn. Will prevent wear to the ply and they can be easily swappable, saves having to keep making new splitters
    Definitely mate.

I think as a temp for this trip I'm going attach some little steel strips to act as skids, although long term I quite like the idea of little titanium blocks so it sparks

Only question is: how to attach them?

the last thing I want is to use wood screws in the under side, and have them rip out under braking and go straight through a brand new tyre.

if I used araldite to bond them on, do we think they'd have a hope in hell of staying put on first contact?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Any thoughts guys? I'd rather avoid bolting straight through and ahving visable fixings on the top.

South East Events Moderator

Status

My Social Networking

Follow kwistof On Twitter Visit kwistof's Youtube Channel Visit kwistof's Instagram Channel
    Now, I'll be honest, it's a techniclutch kit. their top of the range £550 'drag spec' kit. I know their reputation is questionable at times, but I have heard many good things as well as bad, and Westy has been running the next one 'down' from this for a long time in his 4wd torque monster, so I figured it was worth a punt.
    I have the next one 'down' from Westys kit and I haven't had any issues with the SMF conversion since it was fitted around January this year and after a couple of months I haven't been holding back in how she's been used either.
    2000 S3 APY

18" BBS RSII with Michelin PS3s, 20mm H&R adapters, Relentless 3" DP and Sports cat, B5 V1 induction kit, cone filter+heat shield, Forge 007P, Awesome GTI SMF, AP coilovers, Facelift rear lights, Full Powerflex poly bush kit, R32 Rear ARB, SAI delete, N249 by-pass, Upgraded Engine mounts with Polytek, Stage 1 CC at Badger 5.

6th Gear

Status
    A few phone calls to a few mates and various people, and I found a low mileage, late FZQ LCR gearbox for sale, fitted with a peloquin ATB LSD from Alex kerr at AKS. A deal was struck
    Alex does love his Peloquin diffs lol.

Status
    Always good to hear Kwistof

A few pics from CN tuning, massive thanks to Clive for letting me use the workshop and everything for the whole night, having 2 of us working on it and 2 heads to work around problems made things so much easier! Top man!

the 6 spd kit ready to go in:

Box and flywheel off, IE friction disc on the end of the crank awaiting the new SMF:

SMF on:

Cleaning up the clutch plate:

Installing:

then it all got a bit stressful, I set myself on fire at 02:30 grinding down the gearbox cable bracket, so we called it a night. Got home at 0310.

Finished it off the next day:

The end

I wouldn't have attempted this one on my drive with the timescales involved before Spa, but Clive was adamant we could get it done, so top man, thanks for all your help!
    kwistof likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Looking good, have a great time at spa!

Does this mean you are running the LSD that came in the new box or gone back to your quaife diff? Are they same kind of diff or work in different ways.
    Contact admins for advertising

TT 225 + a bit!!

Status
    I'm running the Peolquin LSD that came in the new 02M box mate, they're different Diffs fitment wise, although work in a similar way.

Whether it performs differently on track or not i'll find out on Wednesday!

5th Gear

Status
    On the Facebook pics your back on the Brembo setup at the front.... not happy with the Forge ??
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

4th Gear

Status
    I'd suggest using some countersunk allen head bolts, E.G. Link

and fix the skid plates to the splitter like so:
    Full VCDS

2nd Gear

Status
    I was thinking of a bit of ali plate and a spot of Blue Tack myself.

4th Gear

Status
    Bluetack is for rookies. Everyone knows Unibond No More Nails is the best, could hold it on with some spit and tissue paper while the No nails sets too.

Actually, the above must be the approved fixing techniques of most French cars from the 90's
    Full VCDS

Status
    I'd suggest using some countersunk allen head bolts, E.G. Link

and fix the skid plates to the splitter like so:
    You know what, that's fantastic.

I have some M8 counter sinks that would do this nicely.

As for skid plate material, I either have 3mm steel or 10mm thick alloy - the steel is probably too thing, and the alloy would probably wear out too fast.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    Looking good as always mate.

So your the one who bought it. I was going to as he showed it me when he dropped the head off but I was skint.

So hows it drive with the smf? Any horrible noises? So the awesome gti smf kits where techniclutch ones then?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dani_B19 View Post
    Looking good as always mate.

So your the one who bought it. I was going to as he showed it me when he dropped the head off but I was skint.

So hows it drive with the smf? Any horrible noises? So the awesome gti smf kits where techniclutch ones then?
    Yep they were techniclutch with the "techniclutch" grinded off. You don't get noises with this SMF though. I'm still yet to see one that makes a racket, I think it's an urban myth that's been spread.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    You just have to go light that's all. Yours isn't that light.

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    That's a right joke, I remember some poor guy getting slaughtered on scn for saying they were techniclutch kits. So is that why awesome withdraw them from sale?
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN