EM TuningVolks Autos
Page 106 of 146 FirstFirst ... 6569699100101102103104105106107108109110111112113116 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,240 of 5819
Like Tree1062Likes

Thread: Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Down under

Status
    Not cheap by any means:
    VW Golf R Intake
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I think our 2 45 degree bends and a silicone pipe will do for now:-) especially as it was about 10 times cheaper than that one...

Down under

Status
    Yeah, it was more for others I guess. Since some of the TFSI K04 intakes are quite OEM looking which some might like. It seems VF and APR do 3" intakes but they're pretty pricey. Saying that, the B5 TIP isn't shy either. When's it being fired up?
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

6th Gear

Status
    Tomorrow all being well..Downpipe is being made up tomorrow and the rest of the bits fitted back up.

I think it will have to be a progressive test initially as it'll be run on the old map, and I don't think anyone knows how it's going to react!

6th Gear

Status
    Ideally though Id like to see it run on actuator pressure, and it make/flow the same as the old turbo but be better at doing it!

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    As Dan says, I'm picking up a load of bits from him tonight, then tomorrow morning with any luck I'll get to work fitting all the pipework whilst Ben makes the downpipe (hopefully ), and if all goes to plan it'd be cool to fire it up tomorrow.

Will run on actuator pressure and see how it runs and compare logs to previous, then once we're happy that it runs properly and fault free it'll be off to Niki.

In theory, same compressor wheel, and a similar 1 bar actuator should yield similar results on actuator pressure, I'm not sure if the larger A/R will open things up a little top end or not.

I'm also not sure how the stock TFSI turbine wheel compares to my 7 degree clipped RS6 turbine of the old turbo.

Dan: do you know much about the comparison between those?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    The Tfsi turbine and rs6 clipped one you where running are identical in size IE 50mm*44.5mm thus it shouldn't make any difference. However, the TFSI is the full back turbine and supposed to be more efficient. Your clipped turbine was done for surging reasons, and supposedly also aids top end flow but we are now in a larger/better designed manifold/scroll and better turbine so who knows!

The single most important factor we hopefully will gain is the EGT max. Your old Hybrid was always limited by EGT's where as with any luck we might be able to eventually run more boost for similar EGT's or similar boost for lower EGT's and more timing..

There is no doubt , or at least I hope the TFSI is far more efficient than the Old version and all being well this should translate on to the 1.8t as well...

Whether it'll surge or not, I couldn't say at present.. Only time will tell...

And as this progresses, and a decent sized inlet gets put on and the FMIC pipe work gets shortened and improved I'm sure it'll only get better.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    at a dyno day at awesomegti, there was a golf R, stage 2+ so 360-370hp or whatever they claim, the surge was unreal out of that thing, but the driver, the dyno operators just pushed it without saying a word, i dont think people truely know what it is. The owner prob thinks its a badass noise his wastegate makes lol.
    I thought it was awful, i turned to s3dave and was like 'thats bad', so surge is an issue on these as much as our hybrid setups using the same comp wheel.

6th Gear

Status
    yeah but at what PSI were they running for it too surge? 15psi as the old ones did or 28 psi like most tfsi stage 2+ run at to get 370bhp?

Any turbo will surge given the right circumstances.....

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    at a dyno day at awesomegti, there was a golf R, stage 2+ so 360-370hp or whatever they claim, the surge was unreal out of that thing, but the driver, the dyno operators just pushed it without saying a word, i dont think people truely know what it is. The owner prob thinks its a badass noise his wastegate makes lol.
    I thought it was awful, i turned to s3dave and was like 'thats bad', so surge is an issue on these as much as our hybrid setups using the same comp wheel.
    Interesting to hear Karl,

Hopefully, that's a result of dinosaur tuning at play.

it seems that the TFSI tuning scene is going through the same revelation that the 1.8T scene went through a year or so back, less boost and more timing being the future.

I've still seen many TFSI St2+ maps running 1.9-2 bar of boost with very little timing, so I'm not surprised if they're seeing surge.

I believe Niki did an ed30 last week that made 360bhp from 21psi with around 350lbft, so fairly similar figures to my old setup at similar boost levels.

it's certainly promising, but only time will tell!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Down under

Status
    Yeah like I said, at every dyno day I go to, it's one surging TFSI after another. Hopefully that won't be the case here. They do make good power though. Seemingly constant across different dynos too. Always puts mine to shame.

RIP S3dave

Status
    daft mapping and uber spikes... = surge...

choked by factory intakes I bet they wont surge, not make the top end power....
    **http://www.facebook.com/Badger5Ltd**

NEW NEW NEW eShop now LIVE>
    www.badger5.biz

Badger 5 Ltd, Queen Annes Gate, Oldends Lane, Stonehouse, Glos, GL10 2DG

http://www.badger5.co.uk, Tel:01453822880
    bill@badger5.co.uk
    **NEW** Badger5 Section CLICK here>> http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/213-badger-5/

6th Gear

Status
    Please also remember that the "boost pressure" we see and measure is pressure inside the inlet manifold that can not be consumed by the engine. If the engine could consume all the volume of air the turbo could make it would read 0.. Pressure is directly proportional to volume and speed, thus an engine running 28psi making the same power as one only showing 21psi might be consuming exactly the same amount of volume of air, but the speed in which is delivered to the engine may be very different.. or the speed the same and the volume different, both will give the same outcome..

23psi out of a k03s is not the same as 23psi out of a K04 or 23psi out of a gt28.. Volume, Speed will all be different but the net pressure will be the same.... The same volume of air with differing speeds will have different pressures.

Off track I know!
    Last edited by beachbuggy; 2nd August 2013 at 14:07.
    ReDBull likes this.

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    I dont know what they were running boost or map wise.
    All these tfsi guys just stick to generic files for their maps, or simple adjustments with revo sps.

Like prawn says, theyre behind tuning wise compared to their advances in hardware, i dunno.
    I guess its like us lot sticking a b5 tip, tubular mani, large port, and using just a generic stage 2 revo file. Alll the boost and not taking into account more recent revelations in hardware.

I frequent the tfsi forums a bit, and ive never once heard egts mentioned, so i guess thats a good sign.

After all this, hopefully the tfsi people will want a 20v engine! 20v head for the win! Hopefully it will match or better their results

Status

I frequent the tfsi forums a bit, and ive never once heard egts mentioned, so i guess thats a good sign.
    A good sign? or a hint that most tfsi tuners are still clueless

i hope you're right SuperK!

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    A good sign? or a hint that most tfsi tuners are still clueless

i hope you're right SuperK!
    I don't think they're unaware of it as a problem,but as most people in the TFSi world aren't at Stg2,the only real issues with high EGT's seem to be on a few Stg2+ cars being flogged within an inch of their turbos lives for the last few bhp before a big turbo,or in a few cases BT cars badly set up,and run very hard.

One case where an owner managed to hole a piston springs to mind,but he'd done that on an engine with stock internals,a lot of boost,and ragged pretty mercilessly in the process.

So yes,I think most of us running a lot of boost in the TFSi world are aware of it as a serious potential problem,and the software companies with the most experience(Revo and APR) are as well.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    So yes,I think most of us running a lot of boost in the TFSi world are aware of it as a serious potential problem,and the software companies with the most experience(Revo and APR) are as well.
    that's good to hear, much like the 8L when it was new and the cars were all low mileage so many people appear to be oblivious to the risks of tuning to such a degree, and in the last few years it's really starting to come back and bite people in the 1.8T circles as these high mileage engines start to fail, and people realise that 10 years down the line they arn't quite as resilient as when they rolled off the line.

What I am sure of is that we can all learn from each other across different engines and the lines, with tuning techniques, hardware setups etc etc, I've been following tfsi stuff much more closely since all this came about
    S3Alex likes this.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
    that's good to hear, much like the 8L when it was new and the cars were all low mileage so many people appear to be oblivious to the risks of tuning to such a degree, and in the last few years it's really starting to come back and bite people in the 1.8T circles as these high mileage engines start to fail, and people realise that 10 years down the line they arn't quite as resilient as when they rolled off the line.

What I am sure of is that we can all learn from each other across different engines and the lines, with tuning techniques, hardware setups etc etc, I've been following tfsi stuff much more closely since all this came about
    I think that's spot on.

A lot of people still have the impression that "it's a turbo engine,you can just turn the boost up",and you still find a few people trying DIY solutions to this sort of thing.
    Also,in the early stages of an engine's production life,tuners and owners explore the limits of what it's capable of,and often get messy results when it goes wrong.

Your point about higher mileage engines is also right,and what was a nice tight engine with good bearings etc,eventually becomes a bit worn and then grenades itself when someone goes for the limits of tuning.

I've learnt so much from not only ASN and VAGOC in general,but also from guys like yourselves here in other parts of the forum,pushing and developing,and even if it's not directly transferable,it's great to see what other petrolheads get up to.

RIP S3dave

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbuggy View Post
    Please also remember that the "boost pressure" we see and measure is pressure inside the inlet manifold that can not be consumed by the engine. If the engine could consume all the volume of air the turbo could make it would read 0.. Pressure is directly proportional to volume and speed, thus an engine running 28psi making the same power as one only showing 21psi might be consuming exactly the same amount of volume of air, but the speed in which is delivered to the engine may be very different.. or the speed the same and the volume different, both will give the same outcome..

23psi out of a k03s is not the same as 23psi out of a K04 or 23psi out of a gt28.. Volume, Speed will all be different but the net pressure will be the same.... The same volume of air with differing speeds will have different pressures.

Off track I know!
    I would substitute volume with air mass flow... but agree ....

"Its all about the Flow"~(TM)~

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

RIP S3dave

Status
    to me this would actually be a bad sign... and 99% dont consider egt's and without a sensor they will never know as the tfsi dont have egt sensors like later 1.8t k04 cars did
    egt models... simulated but not measured by probe

measuring one would be key to my own tuning of a tfsi motor...... same as I did on k03 hybrid. Information is key.

www.badger5.biz

bill@badger5.co.uk

Status
    You'll be pleased to hear that an EGT probe will be installed on this setup
    badger5 and bigal 1 like this.

1st Gear

Status
    Speaking to friends with tuned TFSI cars they just stick to brand named hard wear and go on REVO/APR claimed power figures. Is this where the 1.8t scene was 5/6 years ago?
    Bet you cat wait for a drive tomorw Nick!

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDBull View Post
    Speaking to friends with tuned TFSI cars they just stick to brand named hard wear and go on REVO/APR claimed power figures. Is this where the 1.8t scene was 5/6 years ago?
    Bet you cat wait for a drive tomorw Nick!
    How do you mean brand named hardware?

Do you mean as opposed to custom made or no-name gear?

Neutral

Status
    Well is it running yet???? I'm excited!!!
    Contact admins for advertising

TT 225 + a bit!!

2nd Gear

Status
    Any updates on this today
    Everyone is waiting patiently

5th Gear

Status
    He is probably out terrorising gay lord Ferrari drivers

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scullies View Post
    lmao

They are bad gaylords!

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scullies View Post
    Lol. Or changing another gearbox
    Jason.s likes this.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Visit 16Klappe's Instagram Channel
    I know.
    I quite often say I'm going to do things.

Then never do them.

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Tell mee!
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

Status
    Hai Guys!!!!!!

I'm back.

Sadly, the downpipe bits didn't arrive this week, so the main plan for today, making a downpipe, wasn't able to happen

Bit of a shame, but it can't be helped.

Instead, we finished off fitting a pair of 3'' downpipes to Bens RS4, which now sounds epic, and then set about finishing off everything else on the A3.

I painted the charge pipes and TIP, and whilst they were drying I did a few final touches under the bonnet, fixing coolant hoses and clips and things, then dropped the TIP in to see how it was going to look:

Shiney new DV from Forge plumbed into it's new home:

Charge pipework all welded up, painted, and fitted:

With the bracket by the crank pulley, the main cross member is actually really solidly mounted. We were going to brace is, but somewhere it needs to flex for engine movement, and across the length of pipe made the most sense, as the angular change when it flexes will be the least. Long term I will replace the straight coupler with a bellow I think.

We wern't happy with the oil drain we had made either. With the weight on the wheels, the drain sat just 5mm from the driveshaft. Under compression it would hit.

We tried changing the length of the hose, but it just kinked, so intead we took 2 ko3 oil drains, and did a cut and shut to come up with one decent drain, using solid fittings at either end and an unmodified audi flexi section in the middle. This should be much more reliable.

Catch can back in, just needs a few lengths of pipe to plumb it all up, and that's the bay finished!

Fired up and runs pefectly, just incredibly loud with no downpipe! happy days

and into the sunlight!

6th Gear

Status
    Almost looks like it belongs there!

2nd Gear

Status
    Looking good Guys, nice work

Princess Slayer
    Crazy Closet Champion, Curveball Champion, Ping Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Typing Test Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, KickUps Champion, Disc Dash Champion

Status

My Social Networking

Looks bang ****ing tidy that does.

Huge hats off to Ginge, Dan and yourself for making it look so good. If it goes half as well as it looks then it's a job well done.

Then never do them.

Status
    It does look cool doesn't it?

Almost so well integrated into the engine bay, that it doesn't look like it's anything special at all!

6th gear @7000rpm

Status
    Looks sexy! I like!
    Quote Originally Posted by <tuffty/> View Post
    its either mapped or broken...

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 16Klappe View Post
    Looks bang ****ing tidy that does.

Huge hats off to Ginge, Dan and yourself for making it look so good. If it goes half as well as it looks then it's a job well done.
    'Ginge?' The cheek of it, I'm strawberry blonde.
    '09 Lci 335d individual. M-dev stage 2, 360bhp 550ftlb. 'Undercover police edition'

Princess Slayer

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by BENJAMIN View Post
    'Ginge?' The cheek of it, I'm strawberry blonde.

Xxx

Then never do them.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Been keeping an eye on this for a while now, and must say this TFSI route onto the 1.8 T is giving me ideas for my LCR Nick.

Credit to you and everyone for getting stuck in to this! Looking forward to the results.

Status
    Cheers Tom, I didn't know you were on here mate Hopefully I might see you at Prept one month if I ever make it there!

Heard from Ben this morning, downpipe parts are finally here, along with a stock TFSI downpipe from Niki as a test to see if it's anywhere similar just for reference.

Hopefully we'll get it all sorted this week